4 replies to this topic

#1 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

Carnaval is over. It took a couple of days of rest and about 10 minutes to plan our trip to Belize. We had a good time down there last year so decided to do it again. David, his neighbor Steve, their friend Dean, my friend Bill, and I left in the morning to catch the 7:00am ferry to Playa.

Posted Image

The ferry was fairly empty and it was to early for a beer. We just enjoyed the ride.

Posted Image

The streets in Playa don't seem to be very crowded early in the morning.

Posted Image

One of the things I always do in Playa is get a conchinita pibil torta from one of the stands by the bus station. I don't remember exactly but I think they are $15 pesos each. You can get the marinated onions and add hot sauce to it if you like. Great for breakfast.

Posted Image

Our bus left from the other station in Playa so we took a taxi over there. It's not a long drive. The cab driver charged us $40 pesos. It should have been less. You can walk there easily bit we didn't feel like carrying our luggage.

Posted Image

The bus ride to Chetumal is 4 1/2 hours and it stopped in Tulum for about 10 minutes. You can get off the bus if you like. Last time I thought we stopped in Fellipe Carrillo Puerto but not this time.

Posted Image

The bus arrives in the Chetumal station and you have to take a taxi over to the pier. Check prices with the taxi driver before you leave. The fare should be $40 pesos but they are trying to get $100. There are two ferry companies at the pier and you have to buy your ticket from one of them. They will take your luggage and bring it down to the boat you are leaving on. The pier is long so I would take advantage of that service. Another new thing is they are charging an exit tax of $292 pesos to leave Mexico. It's supposed to be paid at a bank but they will take your money there. Next time I will just by-pass the immigration station and keep my tourist visa. When I come back I will get my luggage checked then walk past the booth that gives you a new tourist visa as I still have my old one. It's not very organized there so it's easy to do. I'll let you know if it works.

Posted Image

The boats usually don't leave on time and there is only a half hour difference in their departure time so I don't know if it makes a difference on which one you take. The ride to Ambergris Caye is around 2 1/2 hours. You line your luggage up and customs come by with a dog that smells every bag. As long as the dog doesn't stop at your bag you are free to go.

Posted Image

The boats are fairly comfortable but sit towards the back in rough weather. It makes a big difference in the comfort of the ride. The boats have 3 - 250 hp motors on them and they go pretty quick.

Posted Image

#2 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

Once in Ambergrise you will go through customs again then you can continue on to Caye Caulker or find a hotel.

Posted Image

We got through customs fine then went over to Ruby's to see if they had any rooms left. We needed 3 rooms and they were available at $80 Bz per night. It's not the best hotel in the world but it is on the ocean, has a toilet with a seat, and hot water. It's also clean with a few nice outdoor decks. They charged less last year but it's still the best cheapest place to stay on the water.

Posted Image

After getting moved in we had a few drinks and walked around town a bit. Rum and cokes are $4 Bz which is $2 US. Sometimes you can find happy hour where they are 2 for 1. We went to the Sunrise Restaurant for dinner. I had an order of sweet and sour shrimp for $7 US and gave half of it to every one else. The orders are huge and good.

Posted Image

#3 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles; Cozumel; Reading;

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:36 AM

Steve I am glad you are back in Ambergris Caye and hopefully going to Caye Caulker. Those place look really cool. I have got to get down there before I am to old to enjoy it. Are they really remote?

Willie

#4 broylance

broylance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

Steve,
I'm anxiously awaiting to see what all you see and do while down there. I just booked our first trip there for December. We are spending 4 nights on Ambergris Caye and 4 nights on Caye Caulker. It looks so beautiful.
Thank you for posting.

#5 JMCADAM

JMCADAM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

We loved our time in Ambergris Caye, but we did not get there by way of Mexico. We flew into Belize City and took a puddle hopper over. Great place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users