5 replies to this topic

#1 Salish

Salish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

Greetings all,

After several visits and making some good friends in the expat and local communities my wife and I have made the decision to spend a portion of our lives on Cozumel. I made a wise decision in my twenties to travel the difficult places when my body could handle the rigours of budget traveling and save the easier places for when I got old. So now in my fifties I cannot hack the long plane rides and the wander lust is not near as strong as it used to be. My wife and I were lucky enough to live several years as ex pats in Zambia at the start of our marriage then opt out of the rat race and develop a waterfront bed and breakfast on Vancouver Island where we raised our 2 daughters.
Economics and educational opportunities dictated a move back to the flat lands where we have been for the last 10 years. With our daughters now finishing post secondary its time for us to start a new chapter/adventure.
We are still a number of years away from pulling the plug but as everybody knows time flies the other side of fifty so I do not think it too soon.
We are in the education phase and are currently drinking in any and all information available on the net and in books. So my first request would be any suggestions of must reads or web sites to visit.
Secondly I would welcome any info members might have on El Cedral.My friends have told me it is a tight community with land passing through the generations and much of it held by absent landlords and old island families. When I drove through recently I did notice some new construction but most was fixing up the old places. I also noticed the almost total absence of for sale signs. So it makes me wonder what the reasons are that any redevelopment is not happening. I love that community but I also used to live in a school bus in the dead of winter in the Rockies.
My wife would be quite happy to live in town but itís my turn and I would really appreciate any tips or advise about any rural sites on the island that might offer the opportunity to reno or do a modest build.
Thanking you in advance for your consideration,
Salish

#2 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:10 AM

We are also from Canada and have lived here for almost 5 years now. We bought a small business here and then rented a home close to walking distance to many things before buying a car. This gave us an idea of where we wanted to live. We are just completing the build on a 2nd home and will be either renting or selling the first home. As far as we know the homes and land at El Cedral are owned by long time families and I have never seen a FOR SALE sign out there? There are many areas that you could class as rural and I am sure many homes that you could find and fix up closer to town...? Please make sure that the legal titles are in order, as people have been burnt by not checking these important documents ahead of putting down money and signing binding documents...

Suggest you come down and rent a place for a month or more and really get to know some areas, ask many questions and get correct legal advice. I also lived in Zambia and still have family who live in South Africa...Cozumel reminds me of old days with some modern twists and of those old colonial days when I was there as a child. Good luck and enjoy the island.
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#3 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:39 AM

Cedral is an ejido, which very simply described, is land secured by Federal grant by a group of people who may pass their specific allotments to their descendants for as long as the ejido exists. There aren't titles to the land -- meaning outsiders cannot buy into an edjido -- but there are procedures whereby titles may be granted. And it's unlikely that those procedures will ever be undertaken at Cedral. If someone wants out, the ejido would most likely buy his share either for a public space or on behalf of another member. Ejidos are self-governed and not officially part of a municipality.

Nearby, the area Mariposa Estates offers rural living to the public. There is also an area closer to town near the Coleta/Puerta Maya. Both of these would likely require that you build a home. Best to search the Cozumel realtor websites.

#4 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

With ejido land, every member of the ejido must agree to the transfer, which practically never happens. If it did, you'd probably need to pay every member. Even if that were doable, unless you obtain citizenship you can't directly own land on the island, and I'd be very surprised if a bank would agree to a fideicomiso trust involving ejido land.

#5 Salish

Salish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:02 PM

Thanks for your advice. I need to spend more time on the backroads and getting to know people. I always say after every project that it is our last but somehow never seem to hold true to a rational thought process. Life is about the experience and I suspect most expats are kindred spirits.
I appreciate the answer on El Cedral.I knew there had to be a reason.

#6 Patches

Patches

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

So nice to see there are so many Canadian expats in Cozumel. And to boot, ones with African connections. We are Canadian, but originally from South Africa, and we have bought a second home in Cozumel, with a view to retiring in Coz someday. For now, we just enjoy it when we can! We love it and hope to meet some of you soon when we are down there again from Toronto.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users