2 replies to this topic

#1 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

This morning was again beautiful but a little breezy. We had talked about going over to Caye Caulker today but the seas were a little rough. Some people are more prone to sea sickness than others and Dave and I still wanted to make the 25 minute trip so we made our minds up to go. The others didn't want to chance the trip so they checked out the fare to fly to Corazol and decided that they would leave tomorrow on the plane then catch a bus to Chetumal from Coroza then bus it home to Cozumel. I know I was told the flight price but not sure if I remember. I believe it was $101 US.

Posted Image

The good thing about traveling with the people we do is that everyone knows their own way home and can get their by themselves with no hard feelings. You go home when you are ready to go. Well, Dave wanted to stay and so did I so we got our tickets to Cake Caulker. I think it is about $20 BZ a ticket.

Posted Image

The boats are a little smaller and continue on to Belize city. If you are early to the pier there are not many people waiting but more keep showing up so the boats are fairly full.

Posted Image

From our last trip we had checked out a few places to stay and the Tropical was one of them on our list and the first place to check out. They had rooms available and the hotel was on the ocean. We opted for a room in the back for $40 BZ.

Posted Image

The room was large enough and had 2 beds. The communal deck in the front of the hotel was only a few steps away so what more do you need?

Posted Image

The washroom was even decent.

Posted Image

After getting our stuff in the room we went out and walked around town for a while checking out shops and bars. We ended up back at the Bambooze.

Posted Image

Caye Caulker is a small island with around 1000 full time residents. The streets are all sand and like San Pedo they have a front, middle, and back street. The island is very laid back. You can walk around the town in 15 to 20 minutes. We even ran into some people we new from Cozumel that were here on vacation.

Posted Image

I think Caye Caulker is the type of island you would picture in your mind if you ever got stranded on one. Anyway, there are lots of bars, restaurants, and gift shops now. They are doing some dredging to restore some of the beaches. Election time isn't far off. It looks like there used to be tables and chairs on the beach at this bar.

Posted Image

#2 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:30 PM

A short walk down the beach brings you to the split. A hurricane came through quite a few years ago and cut a channel across the island. It's now a favorite fishing, swimmng, and drinking spot on the island.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ever since last year I have been wanting to come back and try some of the pig roast they were having at a stand along the beach. It looked so good and the smell alone made you want to taste it. We found out that they were still doing it but changed locations and I believe owners. A few of the locals we talked to said it wasn't the same and would be out of business soon. We found the location of the fire used to cook the pig so had to try it.

Posted Image

They had moved the pig across the street and had it on a grill slicing off meat. It looked great. I ordered a plate and Dave ordered a plate. I couldn't wait to try some. My total cravings and dreams of a year were coming to a climax. I sliced off a piece and began to chew. Roast pork cooked for hours over a hot fire. Juicy, melting in your mouth tender pork. I took two bites and spit it out. It wasn't even done yet. My dreams were shattered. Time for a beer.

Posted Image

#3 marialuna

marialuna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

I'm sorry but the pig story made me laugh. Life is often like that, isn't it? You have to seize the moment and not wait. At least that's what I think the message was. If there was one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users