14 replies to this topic

#1 teacher

teacher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:teaching,reading, cooking, movies, photography, marine biology

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

Anyone have a good screen person? We need repairs on some and we need new ones. We are not talking about hurricane screens. Thanks in advance.
Thanks!

#2 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:50 AM

We just had some repairs made, used Pedro and Pablo, they sre on Morelos between 50 B sur and 55 Sur, 1 1/2 block west of Boxito. 872-5456, Cell: 987-105-0021. I had them use the dark solar nylon type screen. Contacted them at 8:30, 3 windows and a door were complete and reinstalled by 11:30.

#3 teacher

teacher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:teaching,reading, cooking, movies, photography, marine biology

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:47 AM

Wow. We will call them. Thank you. Sounds like the guy remodeling our bathrooms. He completed 3 bathrooms in 4 weeks.
Thanks!

#4 Guest_casacozumel01_*

Guest_casacozumel01_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

Hello,
I am looking for a screen installation vendor. The phone numbers in this post are no longer working. Do you happen to have a different number for Pablo & Pedro or a different vendor? Thanks, John

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:13 AM

I use the glass and screen shop next to Burger King which is on 30th. The shop is on Calle 1. It is right across the street from the drive through exit for BK.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:07 PM

Hello,
I am looking for a screen installation vendor. The phone numbers in this post are no longer working. Do you happen to have a different number for Pablo & Pedro or a different vendor? Thanks, John

Sorry that the numbers don't work, they are both on a sign that was in front of P & Ps business, they are only a couple of blocks from my place, will go by tomorrow and get a corrct number.

Vidrios y Aluminios Julian
1 Sur 600 . Col. Adolfo Lopez Mateos
Cozumel Q. Roo . Tel. (987)872-2132
is the place Paula suggested, know them and owner for years, they can be good, but hit or miss most times, they missed badly on some work they did for a friend of mine, they "no showed" on the last job I needed done....., we went by the shop and left written directions, they too, are only 4 blocks from my place.

Have also used and was happy wiith the work of Vidrios y Aluminios Solis:

Vidrios y Aluminios Solis, 85 Av. Sur entre 7 e Hidalgo Col.
(987)869-6172, Cozumel, Quintana Roo

#7 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

julian never did their work on time for me. they are off my list.
mijangos was very good, then got slack. still great work when they do show and same prices as maldonado (below). 987 103 9350 (paul).
another great aluminero/vidrios is maldonado 987 114 0236.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:33 PM

good to know different resources.

I have used the one I mention, but they where small jobs, and I took the frames in with me to be re-screened, and came back in an hour to pick them up.

The glass was cut on site for picture frames. I took the frames with me to make sure it was the correct size, thickness and finish.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#9 TERRY7133

TERRY7133

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:45 PM

I have used Luis Solis for about 4 years. He has really bailed me out of some binds over this time. He speaks 0 english but I trust him and his people to do the job right and not cut corners ( even when it is easier to do so ).

I am unsure of how price competitive he is because I trust him to do things right and be fair with me.

Sometimes it requires a couple calls to him but I have never been disappointed with him , his work , or his pricing .

#10 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

Hello,

Talked with Pedro a couple of hours ago, he is sorry for the phone problem...., he said that he is having problem with his land line and to please use the cell # 044-987-105-0021.

#11 Guest_casacozumel01_*

Guest_casacozumel01_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:18 PM

Sorry that the numbers don't work, they are both on a sign that was in front of P & Ps business, they are only a couple of blocks from my place, will go by tomorrow and get a corrct number.

Vidrios y Aluminios Julian
1 Sur 600 . Col. Adolfo Lopez Mateos
Cozumel Q. Roo . Tel. (987)872-2132
is the place Paula suggested, know them and owner for years, they can be good, but hit or miss most times, they missed badly on some work they did for a friend of mine, they "no showed" on the last job I needed done....., we went by the shop and left written directions, they too, are only 4 blocks from my place.

Have also used and was happy wiith the work of Vidrios y Aluminios Solis:

Vidrios y Aluminios Solis, 85 Av. Sur entre 7 e Hidalgo Col.
(987)869-6172, Cozumel, Quintana Roo

Thanks for all of your help. I have been trying to find a company which could make "Magic Mesh" type screens as seen on their, (Magic Mesh), web site. The problem on line is that they only offer one size.

#12 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

casacozumel01 says: "Thanks for all of your help. I have been trying to find a company which could make "Magic Mesh" type screens as seen on their, (Magic Mesh), web site. The problem on line is that they only offer one size."

You may want to talk with the shop at Av. 35 and Calle 13 the sells curtain and solar faberic, if you can find the screen faberic that you like, they may be able to construct something for you, if you can get the magnets and Velco. "Magic Mesh" has several videos on YouTube that show different installations(study carefully)......, It may take a little "mayan engineering" to get what you want.

Edited by TRAVELER89, 26 June 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#13 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:45 AM

Here's an amazon.com customer review of the magic mesh door screen that doesn't sound too good. It's only getting 2 stars.

disappointed...and frustrated, October 18, 2011
By octo1212
This review is from: Magic Mesh Hands-Free Screen Door
anxiously i received and attempted to install this...what a pain in the rear...
1) the magnets need to line up almost perfectly for it to work properly...good luck keeping the screen in place while installing it to make it work correctly...i could get all but the top magnet to come closed automatically...
2) the sewing is atrocious...whatever Chinese manufacturer had this sewn needs to fire his entire workforce and start over...i did a straighter stitch in 7th grade home-ec...it's almost laughable...
3) because it isn't sewn straight, it hangs funny from the top, so the magnets don't line up...
4) the magnets are pretty weak, so a light wind will separate them...it took me the better part of an hour to get this hung JUST RIGHT to make it close properly...then the wind blew it open...when the wind STOPPED it closed again...*thinks*...it's outside...it needs to stay shut unless an animal or human pushes it open...
5) the Velcro they sent to stick to the magic mesh and then the door frame to mount it is worthless...after 1 day, it came unstuck from the magic mesh and thus unstuck from the door...also, they shorted me 1 velcro so i had to go to the store and buy some...
6) there are several holes between the magnets that bugs could EASILY fit through...

in short, it's sloppily made, terrible to hang/mount, ineffective, thus pretty much pointless to buy...

the only thing magical about this product is the marketing...of course...

#14 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

I have two friends that are using "Magic Mesh" screen here. they are very satified with the products. The screen were properly installed, with a little added US engineering. My friends don't have children, large dogs or cats. The screens work very well in lite breezes, but are/can be tied back when the winds pick up. I have 1 set on order. The key is proper pre prep and proper installation, I need to add a 2 inch piece of aluminum stripping to make an oversized door the proper size for a correct fit. Do your home work, there are several different products on the market, all with pros and cons. Amazon.com customer review has both pro and con reviews.

#15 Jay

Jay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:27 PM

We just had some repairs made, used Pedro and Pablo, they sre on Morelos between 50 B sur and 55 Sur, 1 1/2 block west of Boxito. 872-5456, Cell: 987-105-0021. I had them use the dark solar nylon type screen. Contacted them at 8:30, 3 windows and a door were complete and reinstalled by 11:30.

Hi - know it is an old post - are they still around? Looking for a new window screen to be made. Tnx

jay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users