• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Southern Jim

Southern Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

Will be going to Coz next week for four days of diving. Since I and my group are novice divers (PADI OWC 06, last dive 07) was wondering about the currents. Hasn't been any posts about crazy/strong currents in about a month so...are the currents at this time of year flowing more slowly and steady or are they still ripping and dangerous?

Just wondering.

Jim

#2 BronxJoe

BronxJoe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:07 PM

Jim,
The currents are always there & are almost never dangerous. Just be sure to dive with a reputable outfit (there are plenty of good ones )Follow your divemasters suggestions & you will have a safe & fabulous time. Most of the "dangerous currents " are just propaganda a good divemaster will keep you diving within your ability level

#3 Southern Jim

Southern Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:36 AM

Thanks Joe. Good to hear that. I am diving with a reputable company and am planning on the three of us taking a refresher course when we get there.

Really looking fwd to it. Have only heard great things about diving Coz. Was pleasently surprised to find out the Island and San Miguel is as cool as it is.

Jim

#4 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:30 AM

I highly recommend Dive With Martin - small groups (8 max) and they try to group you by ability/experience. I will warn you with all the bad press on the island in the last year to avoid Opal's Dream or Scuba Mau.

As a retired PADI divemaster, I also strongly suggest that with such little experience you do two things:

1. Pay for a refresher course prior to going on a boat dive.

2. Do a shore dive prior to doing a boat dive.
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#5 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

Hey, Mark, I think the refresher course is a good idea, but shore dive? For that you need to be at the right resort and know what you are doing. You have to know the current where you are and know where the boat traffic is. Unless you get instruction on shore diving at a particular place, that might not be so good an idea?

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#6 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

Hey, Mark, I think the refresher course is a good idea, but shore dive? For that you need to be at the right resort and know what you are doing. You have to know the current where you are and know where the boat traffic is. Unless you get instruction on shore diving at a particular place, that might not be so good an idea?

You're right in part about the shore dive. The location is important.

I would recommend doing that at Casa Del Mar... Off to the right of the CDM pier, the max depth is about 20-25 ft, with minimal currents.

There's a giant stride opportunity off the end of the pier and stairs to climb out.

IIRC, the currents were flowing towards the cruise ship pier, so I started the dive into the slight current for a nice relaxing ride back to the stairs.

Not alot to see, but a perfect way to get back into it... I had my GF do her 1st night dive there and she enjoyed it, especially with my experience level.

Mark
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#7 ScubaMom56

ScubaMom56

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

Dearest Marc, I know you mean well, but, really, with all vitriol you have leveled in this forum, I would have a difficult time diving with any dive op you recommend. Again, since you obviously have missed it or you are deliberately overlooking the fact in Opal's case, NO PAYING CUSTOMERS WERE INVOLVED. The dive was a personal one. You should recognize the word personal as such has been your attacks regarding Opal's Dream. Now then, that being said... once again.... If they are interested in doing a refresher and or a shore dive first, Opal's Dream has excellent divemasters and instructors with easy accesses shore dives.

#8 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

While you may not agree with my opinions, I am still a professional level diver with over 23 years of experience and I am still allowed one.

The folks on this forum know my views on OD and SM and which is that I personally would not willingly choose to entrust my safety with those who made such risky decisions with their own. That being said, I would not recommend such an operator to another individual, especially novices.

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

Dearest Marc, I know you mean well, but, really, with all vitriol you have leveled in this forum, I would have a difficult time diving with any dive op you recommend. Again, since you obviously have missed it or you are deliberately overlooking the fact in Opal's case, NO PAYING CUSTOMERS WERE INVOLVED. The dive was a personal one.

Again, April, very sorry for the tragic loss of your daughter, Opal. As the mother of a daughter myself, I can at least begin to understand the pain you must be suffering. But I can only imagine the dark emotional depths to which an event like this would surely take a loving Mom.

#10 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

ScubaMom, I'm very sorry for your loss, but I've got to side with Marc on this one. I've been a certified diver since 1989, been coming to Cozumel regularly, often more than once a year, and if anyone asks me for a recommendation for a dive operator, I would never recommend any operator where the dive professionals took such flagrant risks with their own safety. The fact that no paying customers were involved is simply not relevant to me. I don't think that it's reasonable to expect any divemaster or dive operatot to care more for my safety than they do for their own, and I just will not trust my own life and safety to a dive operator which indulges in reckless behavior, even on its free time. I know and trust Aldora and Dive with Martin, and I'd gladly give either of them an endorsement. I know there are dozens of other safe and professional Dive Operators on Cozumel, but I have no personal experience with them, so I'll defer to the opinions of divers that have such experience. But when I receive reliable information that a Dive Operator tolerates or endorses reckless behavior on the part of its dive professionals, I consider it my duty to the dive community to say, "dive with that operator if you insist, but I would recommend strongly against it."

#11 ScubaMom56

ScubaMom56

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

Well Mark my daughter is dead. The dive was her personal choice. Just because all written proof of how well she took care of her clients has been obliterated by those like you, does not mean her nor her shop put clients at risk. As a matter of fact, clients trusted her with their children while they dove. She would take the kids snorkling and beach combing. Now to adults, she was divemastering on a dive and had a 250lb man panic at a depth of 75ft and try to shoot to the surface. She caught up to the guy, wrapped her 5'4" 125lb frame around the guy while rocketing to the surface, drained both BCD's and controlled their ascent. THAT was my daughter.

#12 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

#13 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:46 PM

#14 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:24 PM

#15 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

#16 ScubaMom56

ScubaMom56

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:44 PM

We all have our own preferences and not everybody is looking for the same thing. I know when I dove with other shops on the island there were those I liked and there were those that weren't my cup of tea. You have to find what suits you. As far as personal actions vs professional actions, when I was flying what I did behind the yolk was different when I was alone in the cockpit as to when I had passengers on board. As it is with diving. When she wanted to unwind, she dove deep. IMHO it is wrong to hold the shop Opal's Dream accountable for my daughter's personal decisions and use it in a public forum. Recommend any shop you like. I know folks who won't dive with any shop but Blue Angel, however, it just isn't my cup of tea, but, I'm not going to tell people not to dive with them because it wasn't to my liking. I started diving when I was 8 years old, that has a lot to do with what I am and am not comfortable with.

#17 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

To get back to the original posters thread. Whomever you dive with, maybe for the first dive you would want to hire a private DM for the first day at least.

#18 Southern Jim

Southern Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

Thanks Zman,

Sounds like a good idea. Presently going w/a great rated PADI dive resort.

Jim

#19 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

You are welcome. Get ready for the Cozumel addiction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users