• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Southern Jim

Southern Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

I'm arriving in Coz next week with my two sons (21 & 25) on a dive vacation. Will be first time in Coz and am looking forward to it. I have already gotten a lot of my info from these forums (what kind of elec power, same as US etc).

Will probably have a day free so am planning on renting a car to visit San Grevasio and east/wild side beach clubs. Will probably just rent from a place in town. Is there any place that's great? Is there anything I need to look out for, (insurance etc.). Anybody have any experience with the VW bug rentals. How are the VW convertibles?

Any car rental personal experiences, good or bad, would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jim

#2 cozumelwantabe

cozumelwantabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:59 AM

Hi jim,
Hope you enjoy your stay!!!
Our first trip to the island was ten years ago and we have been back many times since.....
I have rented from both ISIS and Less Pay with good results.
Please read the several posts on this subject, it has been discussed quite a bit in detail lately and they cover all of your questions.
If you renting for juat one day you may be able to rent from where you are staying and save yourself a little time??

#3 Southern Jim

Southern Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:14 AM

Thanks for the tip. I had read about ISIS and Pay Less (Pay Less?) just wasn't sure if they were still considered good. The comments seemed good but were a few, or more, mos old.

Don't think the place I'm staying has car rentals. They don't mention it on their website. I'm virtually in town on the water so don't think it wll be too inconvevient to find the rental office and hike over there.

Thanks again,
Jim

#4 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:27 AM

Less Pay and Payless both exist and are not related to each other.

I'm a huge fan of Isis. The owner, Margarita, is cheerful and honest. I've dented her cars on more than one occasion. Since her rates ($35/day for a Mexican Ferrari convertible Beetle) include full insurance, I've only had to pay a small deductible.

Beetles in Mexico are getting older since they stopped making them. Combine rental use and maritime climate and they are sort of rough. We like them, but my parents insist on cars in better shape such as the Tadeo they rented a couple of weeks ago. It had A/C, automatic, and everything looked and functioned like new. I think it was $40/day.

My experience with Isis is recent - my wife just returned a convertible Beetle to her 2 days ago after purchasing a vehicle on the island. My experience with Less Pay in the Barracuda hotel a couple of years ago is less positive than others have reported. I won't use them again. I'll very happily use Isis any time I need to rent a car on the island.

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

I was going to say you might be happier spending a little more and getting a car with AC and automatic and if a Tadeo can be had for only $5 more a day, that's a no brainer in my book. Driving a stick shift in town is kind of a bore as there are Alto/Stop signs every block on more than half of the streets. Also you will be glad for air conditioning. It's hot at this time of the year here, possibly hotter than you might expect or be accustomed to.

#6 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:13 AM

40 is a good deal. It was 55 from Isis for the nice automatic not that long ago. I pay 40 with everything now with my guy.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#7 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:25 AM

I rented from Margarita last year, and while the car was fine, the service was fine, etc, it wasn't IMO any better than I would have received elsewhere, and she is very hard to find. This year I will be renting from Avis. As far as what car to rent, I'd get the AC car. Manual VS auto makes zero difference to me.

And as far as site seeing, I personally find ancient ruins as exciting as watching the grass grow... Be sure you take insect repellant and maybe a thermacell... you WILL need it there.

For sure go to the wild side and hit Rastas/Paradise Bar n Grill, Coconuts, Mexcalitos, and some of the other beach bars.

As far as cheap places to stay, I have stayed at Casa Del Mar since 1990 and it's cheap, clean and wonderful. I started doing to AI route at Allegro only last year due to the SHORT boat ride tot he reefs, the nice sandy beach and the all you can drink bar.

Lastly, please don't patronize the horse carriages, the dolphin swims, or rent a moped.
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#8 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:04 AM

Hard to find?

You HAVE to find Kinta to eat once at least.

And you HAVE to find Zermatt for some baked good.

And you HAVE to find Wet Wendy's for a weird combination but delicious Margarita.

Once you got that down, Isis is right in the middle.... :P

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#9 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

Hard to find?

You HAVE to find Kinta to eat once at least.

And you HAVE to find Zermatt for some baked good.

And you HAVE to find Wet Wendy's for a weird combination but delicious Margarita.

Once you got that down, Isis is right in the middle.... :P

Beat me to it...

#10 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

My mistake - I just confirmed that my parents paid USD$45/day for a Tadeo (4-door with A/C and automatic) at Rentadora Isis, not $40/day. That amount does include all insurance.

#11 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

LMAO - shut up you guys!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#12 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

My mistake - I just confirmed that my parents paid USD$45/day for a Tadeo (4-door with A/C and automatic) at Rentadora Isis, not $40/day. That amount does include all insurance.

Probably if she had quoted me 45 instead of 55, I never would have left Isis went looking for a better deal. She was really nice to deal with.

Though I don't use lesspay because of the reports on here and other places about the insurance, the time I did it even included gas. I brought my receipts in and they deducted them from the total. Weird. The car was crappy. The ac worked when it was cool and it was like the Fonz and the jukebox to open the passenger door from the inside. Wife HATED it. It ran ok though. Again though, I am not going back.

I dunno Mark. You need to get out to the good stuff now and again. First stop should be Zermatt to stock up on some snacks..... Make a reservation at Kinta. Get the car paperwork done and walk down to WW.

Of course if you come over on the ferry it is backward: Stop at Wet Wendys to relax a minute. Then walk up to Isis, do the pp and stick the bags in the car, make the Kinta reservation and then get the Zermatt goodies and go.

I can make a map for you if it helps?:P

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#13 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

Thanks for the tip. I had read about ISIS and Pay Less (Pay Less?) just wasn't sure if they were still considered good. The comments seemed good but were a few, or more, mos old.

Don't think the place I'm staying has car rentals. They don't mention it on their website. I'm virtually in town on the water so don't think it wll be too inconvevient to find the rental office and hike over there.

Thanks again,
Jim

We rent from Less Pay; a good raggedy ole jeep to bum around the island in; Wet swimsuit, sand or if it rains, no worries.
Cindy

#14 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

Well, I'm a big Less Pay fan. I have been renting from John for over 10 years and have had nothing but positive results. You should be able to get a Geo Tracker or Jeep with full coverage, 0 deductible for around $35 a day. The trackers are a little dated and don't expect to stay dry if it rains but they are fun and reliable. While a lot of places go over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb when you return it they have never even walked out to look at it. Who over you choose have a great time.

#15 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

I guess it's how you read it

pay less, 'pain less'... Less Pay, 'less pain'...

and ISIS - whats that? What IS IS it exactly? Rental car for those with speech impediments? LOL

All these choices, and interpretations are so confuzeling!

Maybe a trip to Wet Wendys is in order... I'll take a map please (so i can find my way out!)

:D :D :D :D

#16 cozumelwantabe

cozumelwantabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:45 AM

MarkC,
Maybe they named ISIS after stopping at Wet Wendys?? :wacko:

I've rented from both Less Pay AND ISIS, both with good results, just depends what your looking for....

#17 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:02 AM

Isis is the name of the daughter of the owner, Margarita.

#18 cozumelwantabe

cozumelwantabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

Maybe they named the daughter after stopping at Wet Wendys :P

#19 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

LOL - you guys crack me up!

21 days to cozumel, 103 till ambregris...

I havent been on vacation #1 yet and I am already looking at thanksgiving weekend back in czm...

#20 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

Get with the program. Isis is a cool name!!

Posted Image

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users