For The Girls: Gyno Scare Tactics

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 guerita76

guerita76

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:aimless wandering, writing, photoshop, trying to understand people, snorkeling, jumping off the dock at the palapita, making myself laugh and learning everything I can

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

I'm not writing this to talk bad about anyone or put all mexican gynos in a bad group..... but I do think it's good to be informed. It's kind a two part warning. I became pregnant and was seeing a gyno here that I was very happy with. Then things went wrong and I suffered a miscarriage. After an excruciatingly painful night, the morning got worse and I was headed to the emergency room. By the time I made it to the hospital, the worse of the cramping was over and I decided to see my doctor. She did a check and turned on the ultrasound as a way to show me that things were not right and tell me that it was URGENT that I check into the hospital for a DNC. Total cost 12,000 pesos. Now, I was a complete emotional and physical mess and was ready to agree to anything. But luckily I had happened to eat 2 Ritz crackers as I was waiting to see her and so had to wait until later in the afternoon to have the procedure. Well, some rest and a good meal got my mind working again, and I realized that it was not logical what she had said. Of course my uterus was still enlarged! I was in the middle of a miscarriage! Some online research told me I was right and that I should give my body time to finish the process naturally. Mind you, this doctor told me I could die if I didn't have the procedure that day(cash only, no credit cards!). (And,no, I am not disputing that DNCs are very often necessary but there was no indication for one at that stage for me) I gave my body time and was fine. 12,000 pesos saved!

Part 2 is just another example of a scare tactic. When I was living in Veracruz, I went for an annual exam and the gyno turned on his fancy camera and screen to show me my cervix. Never having seen my cervix before, I got scared when he told me that it didn´t look right. It was urgent that I have a procedure done to remove abnormalities. I made the appointment but then talked with some girlfriends (also in Veracruz). Two of them had been told the same thing and had done the procedure! Luckily for me I was heading to the states and I saw a gyno there who told me everything was perfectly normal.

Two different doctors and scenarios but the same kind of scare tactic. It's kind of like when I take my car to a sleazy mechanic and they tell me my car will explode if I do not fix the thingamagigy right away. I think they have found easy ways to put extra money in their pockets and prey on the fact that we don't know what our insides look like! Anyway, not lumping all doctors into this group, but I do think it's good to use your instincts, never jump into anything and get a second opinion if you feel unsure.

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

I know I speak for everyone when I say we are all so terribly sorry about the miscarriage. And I'll remember that about the potential OB/GYN scare tactic scenario. Thanks for sharing a painful event in order to help the rest of us. Ain't it great to have the internet as a resource? It's really wonderful for med stuff provided you go to a reliable and reputable source which you obviously did.

#3 mexcelia

mexcelia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, films, snorkeling, walking, swimming, and photography

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:21 PM

I, too, want to add my condolences for your loss. That must have been very difficult. Thank you for sharing this information, and, yes, not all doctors are alike, but sharing this information can be helpful.

#4 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

guerita, i too suffered a miscarriage when my boy was just over a year old. i too am very sorry for your loss. my ob gyn also recommended a DNC before the contractions even started. but i did my research as well and saw that if possible, let mother nature do its thing. he wasn't keen on the idea but was also surprized when all was said and done and my uterus was clean with little residue which would require the dnc. yes, 12,000 pesos saved. my very dear friend suffered the same thing (blighted ovum) at the same time. she too tried to let mother nature do it's thing, but the placenta was very attached and in her case the DNC was required. fortunately, our doc knew i was head strong and let me make the choice.

as with any disease or medical situation, if you can do some research and KNOW your options, you will be better prepared. i see and hear so many stories of people going to seguro for some ache or pain, get their meds, and never have any idea of what is really going on, what the results of tests mean, and what side effects the meds have on them or if there are any contraindications with other meds they are already taking.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#5 J belle

J belle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Family, gardening, swimming, snorkeling, being on the ocean any way possible

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:37 PM

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you are able to get good emotional and medical support. It is a very hard experience . There is a possibility that the Gyno was not trying to get your money per se but just practicing out of date medicine. I know all my aunts had that treatment after miscarriages in the 50s and 60s, there was this protocol about it . In any event, I am so sorry you had this sad experience and hope you feel strongervsoon.

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

There is a possibility that the Gyno was not trying to get your money per se but just practicing out of date medicine. I know all my aunts had that treatment after miscarriages in the 50s and 60s, there was this protocol about it .

I think you may have hit the nail on the head, JBelle.

#7 Saz

Saz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

I offer my condolences too, and thank you for being brave and thoughtful enough to share your experience. I had a miscarriage 30 years ago and they did perform a DNC as standard procedure.

I am now at that age when I need to consult a gyny for an onset of irregularities with my cycle, and have been nervous about who to see. It would be useful to know who the ladies on here would recommend. I am looking for a gyny who speaks good English for a consultation and a PAP test, and possibly an ultrasound. I also have no idea about costs here, so a heads-up on what to expect would be most helpful too!

Thanks
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace! Jimmi Hendrix

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

If you do a search, you'll find a rec. for the female gyno at the San Miguel clinic who apparently speaks fairly good English??? I am wondering, however, if this is the 'she' referred to by the original starter of this thread, the one that was old fashioned enough to try to insist on a DNC. That doc is: Dra. Amanda Garcia Morales, San Miguel Clinic, 872 01 03 cell: 987 113 3516

I'm going for a mammogram and bone density scan to a clinic in Cancun that Mary Neumann, a retired nurse and full-timer here on the island highly recommended. I don't know how much English is spoken however. I'll let you know as I'm planning to cross over for that at the end of June.

Contact info and they respond to emails is: . http://www.gynediagnostico.com/ email for appt. info@gynediagnostico.com

#9 guerita76

guerita76

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:aimless wandering, writing, photoshop, trying to understand people, snorkeling, jumping off the dock at the palapita, making myself laugh and learning everything I can

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

Thanks, everyone for your kind and caring words. Also appreciate the new perspective on that doctor. Thanks.

Saz, Carey is right, The "she" I referred to is Dr. Amanda. Like I said, I had been very happy with her up until she tried to rush me to the hospital. Not sure about her English as we only spoke in Spanish.

I recall that Nauticab had spoken very highly of her OBGYN, Dr. Rechy here on the island. I have not gone to him yet but I believe I will the next time I need an appointment. I believe there is also a gyno in Costamed. These are options if you are not able to make the trek to Cancun for the doctor Carey speaks of.

I believe you asked about costs... basic appointments should be around 300 or 400 pesos. (I know some places like Costamed give a discount if you are living here)

#10 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:28 AM

Just my .02 cents. This advice doesn’t go just for gynos – this is for all things - doctors, dentists, mechanics, or any other service provider. Two examples:

1. My ex went to a Monarch Dental clinic for a routine cleaning. They told her she had three cavities... I asked her if she’d stopped brushing and that’s why her breath could choke a mule. :) I also asked when her appointment was to get fillings, she said in 30 days. I told her to go somewhere else because in 30 days those teeth would be falling out. The 2nd dentist told her she didn’t have any cavities...

2. I have a slightly high bilirubin count which was discovered by accident when I applied for a life insurance policy and they tested my blood. So I had to undergo extensive testing to see if there were any medical issues: an endoscopy, a liver biopsy and an MRCP (and it occurred in that order). At the end of the process, it occurred to me that the MRCP should have been performed 1st as it was the least intrusive / risky procedure.

Bottom line is – you need to find a doctor you can trust, because there’s a lot of scamming SOBs out there that only want to put that new Corvette in the driveway for juniors 16th birthday present. And when in doubt, always get a 2nd opinion.
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users