• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 jcole

jcole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

I have decided that when I leave Isla Mujeres we will take the Bus to Tulum. We are staying at Villa Rolandi so the boat should drop us off at Playa Linda dock in Cancun. I have done a little research and can not find the distance from Playa Linda to the ADO station.

I am not familiar with Cancun and just do not want to get the runaround and pay an inflated Taxi fare from the dock to the Bus station.

Similar question for Tulum. What should a Taxi cost from the Bus station to Cabanas Tulum?

Thanks

#2 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

I don't know what boat you are talking about but the people ferry will drop you off at Puerto Juarez. A cab from there to the Cancun bus station shouldn't be more than $60 pesos.

The taxi fares have increased in Tulum. From the bus station to Cabanas Tulum used to cost $50 pesos. I would expect it to be around $80 pesos but no more than $100 pesos. Cabanas Tulum is quite a ways down the road and is in a higher taxi rate zone. The cutoff point between zones is at Zammas. I haven't stayed there since they changed owners, upgraded the cabanas, and raised their prices but I did have a few drinks at their bar in March. It's still a nice place on one of the most beautiful beaches in mexico.

You will have a wonderful time down there.

#3 jcole

jcole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:17 PM

Thanks Steve. Rolandi has their own boat. From the info they sent me it docks at Playa Linda wherever that is. I would never stay at places this expensive if it wasnt my honeymoon. And I found a decent deal for Rolandi.

#4 mexcelia

mexcelia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, films, snorkeling, walking, swimming, and photography

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

If I'm remembering correctly, Playa Linda is where the boats used to dock before the Puerto Juarez stop became the main stop........one of the original ferry boats from Isla Mujeres, not Ultra Mar, still docks there.........anyway, it's a bit farther away from ADO than Puerto Juarez, although not much........but, they (the taxi guys) will definitely be waiting, should cost close to 80 pesos from there to ADO, but definitely want to negotiate with them first, it's out there and they know they got ya........

#5 jcole

jcole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

Thanks. I just needed an idea because I have never been there before. I am excited to visit new places but its a bit stressful. I have been to Cozumel enough that I know when to say thats too much.

#6 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:13 PM

Playa Linda - Excellent swimming. Close to downtown and facing Bahia de Mujeres. Some of the best swimming in all of Cancun. Restaurants, changing rooms. Playa Linda's dock is the departure point for submarine and dive tours. Located at kilometer 4 in the Hotel Zone.

Ruta 1 Hotel Zone bus inbound can drop you near the ADO bus station in 10 to 15 minutes, you will have to cross Tulum Ave, but there is a cross walk. Some buses now are easy on, easy off w/ac.

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:50 AM

Can you explain the procedure for taking a bus, Al? I would certainly expect they'll only take pesos. Is it a fixed rate? Is exact change needed? How does one pay?

Also wouldn't it be helpful to ask the driver to let them know when they were near the central ADO terminal? Might be worth memorizing that phrase if you take the bus.

#8 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

It seems to me that it would be easier to just take the people ferry over to Puerto Juarez then take a cab to the bus station. Simple is easier and should cost only around $120 pesos.

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

Not to mention that Cancun City is not as safe a city as it once perhaps was. You're fine in the populated areas of downtown near the bus station I would expect -- at least it seems that way to me. But get off on unpopulated side street by accident because you don't know you way around and that could get iffy safety-wise. I'd cab it to the bus station and have done with it.

#10 jcole

jcole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

Steve I could do that but transportation on the Villa Rolandi boat is included with my room rate.

#11 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

OK, but what difference does it make if you lose a couple of dollars and make things easier for yourself?

#12 jcole

jcole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

Steve maybe I misunderstood. I thought I would have to take a cab to the bus station either way? If the people ferry route would be much easier I will gladly take that route. I have never been to Cancun before so its all new territory to me. I came home via the Cun airport last year but thats all the experience with cancun I have.

#13 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:15 PM

Iīll check taxi prices in Cancun tomorrow, either way you have to walk from the boat/ferry to the bus or taxi. Travel time between Playa Linda or Puerto Juarez to the bus station would be about the same. Bus fares, pesos(MX) only, $8.5 or $11. Always have $50 to 100 MX in lose change if traveling by taxi or buses. Traveling by bus from Playa Linda, you would get of at the large Comercial Mexicana on Tulum Ave, itīs on the right, less than a 1/2 mile after the bus turns from Kukulkan Ave(main avenue in Hotel Zone), on to Tulum Ave. How large or how many bags you brings will enter into your decision on how to travel.

#14 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:11 AM

I thought you were set on taking the bus from the Playa Linda dock. You should be able to get a cab from there to the bus station. You shouldn't have any problems at either dock.

#15 jcole

jcole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:34 AM

Steve I have read about the Cancun city bus before. I just dont know enough about the routes ot stops to try to take it to the ADO station. Thanks for your help

#16 scubawoman

scubawoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

As Traveler said, it is really simple to take the # 1 Bus, which goes up and down Tuluum Ave. The end of the line is the ferry dock; they turn around there for their return trip. Sit close to the front and you will see the bus station on the right on the return trip. No problems, remember this is a bus that the locals use and there are lots of people around the area, so much so, I would think it would discourage any misadventures. The bus also goes as far as "Plaza de Americas" mall.
"Friends are family we choose for ourselves!" Scubawoman

#17 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:06 PM

I'm sorry but anyone new to taking public transportation in Mexico especially without a knowledge of the langage (this is assumed) or really knowing the bus route carrying luggage is not going to take a bus no matter how easy it is. As a tourist an extra $50 pesos in cab fare is not much to pay knowing they will get to where they want to go with their luggage and no extra hassles.

#18 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

Per 4 Taxi drivers in the Hotel Zone in Cancun, the fair from Playa Linda to El Centro/ADO Terminal is $8.00 US or $80 MX...., if paid in US $s and at the current exchange rate of +/- $13.50 you are paying about $108 MX....., I pay in MX $$s, it's up to you. Most taxi driver in the Hotel Zone spoke very good english and I got the opinion some would empty your pocket book faster than a New York City "pick pocket!"

#19 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:54 PM

What is the "HZ", Al?

#20 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members