Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

Thanks for the info

#22 jcole

jcole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:33 AM

Also updating this one. We ended up taking the ferry instead of Villa Rolandi's yacht. It was rainy and there was a group waiting for the boat anyway. AFter taking the ferry over we needed to go to the mall to try to find a replacement GoPro camera. Ours suffered a salty death in IM. Even though these cameras come with a waterproof case said case has to be closed properly to be waterproof. I had emailed GoPro and they told me that they sold cameras at Quicksilver and Roxy at the mall in Cancun. After getting off of the ferry a Taxi driver approached us. I asked how much to the mall. I cant remember how much he said but it was too much. That being said I had no clue how far away the mall was. It just sounded like it was too much.

I asked another driver pulling into the parking deck how much to the mall. He told me taxis were cheaper outside. Thinking back I should have gave him a few pesos for that. Walked across the street to the sitio and the price was almost half what the first guy quoted. Talked to the driver on the way and told him we were going to take the bus to Tulum . He started with a price and I kept telling him I didn't want to pay that much. I think his last offer was $80usd. I think that was a fair price but I knew what the bus cost was and really wanted the experience.

So off to the mall. Had all of our bags in tow for the two week stay. Went to both stores. Neither had the camera only accesories. Employees at both stores told me that they have never had the cameras. Thanks to GoPro regional manager for that wasted trip. Out to the sitio at the mall. ASked how much to the ADO. Guy quoted me 200 pesos I think. I said no thanks thats too much. He wouldnt budge and was kinda argumenitive about it. Walked across the street and flagged down a taxi. His price was 60-80 pesos. I dont really remember how much just it was less than half of the other guy.

Finally at the bus station we got tickets and had to wait over an hour for the next bus which I thought was odd. I though I read that the bus left like every 30mins for Tulum. Oh well. I started pouring rain anyway. Not like we were missing anything. Bus was cheap and very comfortable. We both had a nice nap on the way. Walking out of the bus station in Tulum we asked a taxi driver for a price to Ana y Jose. He walked us over to a big board and pointed to the price. I really liked that idea. I wish they had these all over the place.

On a side note after walking down the beach from our hotel in Tulum and back up the street we decided it was time for some cerveza. We had no desire to pay the extremly inflated prices from the mini bar in the room. As we were carrying a beer I flagged down a taxi. He didnt speak much english and I dont speak much spanish but I have never had a problem getting what I wanted. I pointed to the bottle said tienda mas cerveza and he told me 65 pesos. I pointed towards town and said for there and pointed back to the hotel and said to here. He said yes. Knowing we had passed a few stores earlier it wasnt far and I thought that was a good price. He took us to a small store and stopped. I asked "cerveza?" he said no and I again said mas cerveza. He said "Oh OXXO cerveza". I asked if it was the same price and he said yes. So we get to the OXXO, I get a 12 pack and everyone is happy.

We get back to the hotel and I pulled out some pesos (I think 100) and asked for change. He has a puzzled look on his face. He asked for more. I told him he said 65 pesos so I needed change. He said it was not enough. I asked what he wanted and in spanish he said 650. I dont know how to spell it but I know what it is when I hear it. I think at this point my blood pressure went up quickly and my wife saw that I was seeing red. I asked him to write (escribe?)and he said he had no pen. The crazy thing is we were able to communicate before this point just fine. After this point he only wanted to speak spanish to this stupid gringo and could not understand me. My wife went up to the front desk and asked for someone to translate. As soon as the lady came down and spoke with him he said he was asking for 120 pesos round trip. I told her what he had quoted me and she said that the price he was asking for now was fair and the price that he gave me before is what one would pay for a one way trip to the OXXO. I chalked it up to be a misunderstanding for the round trip price but then asked her about the 650 peso price he gave me when we returned. He denied it and she told me to come to the front desk from now on and they will make sure the price is fair for me.

With all of that being said I have not had a very good experience with Taxis on the mainland. We had a driver try to charge 650 pesos from the ferry in PDC to the Luna Blue last year. It is walking distance but we were tired. He had dragged our bags from the pier to his car at the sitio. When I asked him on the way (and showed him the address) he said 50 (and being in Mexico I assumed pesos). I asked again as he was putting our bags in the car how much in pesos and he said 650 (in spanish) . We had a small argument and the guy over the sitio came over and asked what the problem was. I told him and the driver said "I thought he said Tulum". The manager said thats still too much and put me with another driver who gave us a good rate.

Another one from this year . We went from our hotel in Tulum to a restraunt on the beach road and paid 20 pesos. We left and were walking down the road for a taxi. The first guy pulled up and I asked how much to our hotel. He wanted 40. I told him we paid half that earlier and we would keep walking. He drove beside us while I argued with him and he finally gave in.

On a positive note we did find an honest driver in Tulum. We went to the front desk to find something to do one day. The guy at the front desk recommended
Yal-Ku. With the sting of the ripoff taxi from the day before I asked that they call a Taxi for us. The driver showed up and they worked out a round trip price for us. Once we got there we found out we could not take in our beer. He was going to wait for us and we could leave our cooler in the trunk. There were two young ladies wanting a Taxi once we got there and he pulled out his cell phone to get them one. I told him to take them where they wanted to go since we just got there. We assured him that we would be there for a few hours and he should get all of the fares that he can while we were there. We had his phone number and had only paid him half so we were not worried about it.

Being we were on the way to Cozumel the next day we agreed on a price on the way back to Tulum. He only charged us $40usd. I felt like that was fair. We paid whatever the exchange was in pesos.

Oh and BTW. I took a chance and humped it to the Quicksilver in PDC. They had GoPro cameras in stock. It cost me a little bit more than one would have in the states but we still had one week of our honeymoon left. The employee there told me that the cancun stores have never had the cameras in stock and always call them to try to get one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users