• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Southern Jim

Southern Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:22 PM

Just trying to know what is the correct amount (local & customary) per nite for a room/suite for 3 guys. Any ideas.

Thanks,

Jim

#2 Cozumel Rocks

Cozumel Rocks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Property Managers taking care of your home here on the island. We provide all administration, Housekeeping, Gardening, Pool Service, House Maintenance...and Concierge Services. Just tell us what you need!

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:05 PM

Love that you are asking! That is so kind of you. I always tip my housekeepers! I would give at least $2. usd per person per day. You can give a little more if you like. Most likely she is only making 86. pesos a day, maybe a little more, but she has a secure job and hopefully with benefits, so making an extra few dollars on the side is GREAT!! Enjoy your stay in Cozumel.
COZUMEL ROCKS Concierge and Property Management
www.cozumelconcierge.com
cozumelrocks@gmail.com

#3 carrins1

carrins1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

For two of us, we left $5.00 a day.

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

I would suggest $15 or so per person for the week. So if you divide that up by 7 nights, yes, $2 or so per person per day would be a greatly appreciated tip and very nice of you to keep this in mind. Mexicans know how to squeeze a peso until it screams and those tips will be put to very good use.

#5 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

I usually tip $20 to $30 pesos for a small room and more for a larger one. Sometimes I will just leave them a tip and not have them clean as the room didn't need it. I'll also leave the maid a larger tip when I leave depending on her service. Many times in the morning on my way to the store I will pick up extra pastries for the maids to split. They work hard for their money and by being nice you can always get a lesson in towel folding and other usefull information about what is happening on the island. Don't forget the gardeners, baggage handlers, and other people in the background. They can do wonders sometimes if you need something. They are the people that run the hotel. If you are staying at an AI, the cook is a good guy to tip. You would be suprised at what can appear on the menu that wasn't there before. If you take care of the service people you will rarely have to go to management to have a problem fixed. It only costs an extra $500 to $1000 pesos a trip. Well worth it in my opinion.

#6 jcole

jcole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:16 PM

Love that you are asking! That is so kind of you. I always tip my housekeepers! I would give at least $2. usd per person per day. You can give a little more if you like. Most likely she is only making 86. pesos a day, maybe a little more, but she has a secure job and hopefully with benefits, so making an extra few dollars on the side is GREAT!! Enjoy your stay in Cozumel.

With your housekeeper atleast $5us per day. Although staying in a condo is different than a motel. I loved not having three loads of clothes to do when I got home last year.

#7 DESERA

DESERA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

Ok, let me see if I am correct with the maids making 86 pesos a day, that just about 6 or 7 of our dollars a day.. I think if they are doing a great job of taking care of you, you should tip really well because they don't make that much money. I would think 5dollars a day is good or more if they are doing a really good job. I want them to know we really care about them and thankful for taking such good care of us. Here in the states we usually tip 10 dollars a day. just thought I would put my thought out there..

#8 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

I'm very glad to see someone asking about this. My husband and I just left the island and our maids were exceptional. We tipped from 3-5 dollars a day and $10 bucks the last day along with leftovers from our trip (beach towels, unopened food and water, sunscreen etc) with a note stating they were for her. My husband used to work for a major resort on the island and said that at his resort unless it was clear that the $$ and left behind items were for the maid specifically they weren't allowed to take it as there were no formal tip envelopes in the room. He said the maids were didn't' want to be accused of stealing. It's almost unimaginable that those ladies.. many elderly.. do heavy work/long hours for such low wages.

#9 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

We always leave $3 - $5 for the maids and always get exceptional service. I leave it on the foot of the bed and usually include a note of gracias or even a request (tp, towells etc). We've ususlly got "stuff" at the end of the trip we leave also. They work long and hard for little.

Dono
It's those changes in latitudes!

#10 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:34 PM

We too learned to leave the tip on the bed. We usually have a big pile of coins on a dresser or table, and it was never touched. We have usually left the equivalent of $3/ day, will have to up that!

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

also, do not bring candy or chocolate's to give to the maid.

They work hard for the money. Cash gives them the option to purchase what they prefer with the funds that you leave.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#12 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:17 PM

I had the same experience, leaving 25 or 30 pesos on the bedside table, intending it as a tip for the maid, but it wouldn't be touched. I started writing in big letters "PROPINQUA" on a piece of paper from the notepad in the desk and leaving that under the coins. That got the message through that it was intended as a tip.

#13 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:55 AM

I agree with the majority of the responses. I had left a note in Spanish with my tip for the maid at one of the rentals where I was staying, and the tip was still not picked up by the maid. I contacted the house manager to inquire why she did not take the tip and he advised me that the maid could not read. That never even occurred to me, but I guess that is a reality. I waited back one day in order that I would see her in order that I could tip her directly.

Valli

#14 Gator & T

Gator & T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

Do tipping guidelines vary that much around the world? I admit I'm not a world traveler, but as a general rule when in Cozumel, I tend to follow the same tipping guidelines as I do in the States: 15% for waiter/waitress, 20% for exceptional service; $3/day/person for our maid; 10-15% of the fare for taxi driver. Of course, there are more times than not that we tip much more because we are fortunate to earn a nice living that affords us the luxury and freedom to visit Cozumel several times a year.

#15 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

My husband and I tip 5 to 7 bucks a day for our condo and 10 bucks the last day as it is more work. That is for the 2 of us and we are extremely neat.

If you 3 normal guys (messy!) I would tip 10 bucks a day for the 3 of you. Maybe a little more depending how messy you are.

We tip daily in case they need the money that day and in case some days have a different maid.

#16 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:14 PM

I started writing in big letters "PROPINQUA" on a piece of paper from the notepad in the desk and leaving that under the coins. That got the message through that it was intended as a tip.

I think the word you are looking for is Propina, like others I like to give to the maid in person...., saying, a gift to you for special service/"un regalo para usted para el servicio especial", may not be correct translation but I get across, especially if service has been good. At our recent stay our waiter/mesero for daily continental breakfast(included with cost of the room) and the housekeeper was one in the same.

#17 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for the tip (pun intended)! My espanol is marginal at best, but that was one word I thought I knew. I usually can't wait around to tip the maid in person - at least not without missing a day of diving, so I used the note as the best way I knew how to communicate that the coins were for the maid. So I need to write "PROPINA" and not "PROPINQUA", huh? I'll try to remember that. Learning spanish one word at a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users