21 replies to this topic

#1 GaryM

GaryM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, motorcycles, shooting, sailing, ATVs

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:09 AM

we are going to be in Cozumel at the beginning of May and was wondering what I could bring down to help the local charities. This will be my first time doing this and I don't know how much extra room I will have but if i can help I will try to do so.
Please let me know what I can do.
Damnit, youth really is wasted on the young...

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:19 PM

Sorry Gary that you received no responses.

It is quite embarrassing that not one organization, person or group made themselves know to you.

Perhaps bumping this back up will give all an opportunity to respond.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:55 PM

Gary,
I sent you an email.

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:38 AM

Karen Pedersen, a semi-local lady who admits that volunteer work has long been her passion, sent me a great email last month updating me on all the charities she's found on the island. There are something like 20 on the list. I'll be publishing this soon and will announce it on the forums so that nice people like you can easily 'choose their poison' when it comes to where they wish to donate their time and/or money.

Please watch for this, Missouri Mule, as I'm aiming for a two week deadline on that promise so you should have the info to hand well before you travel.

#5 cozumelmx

cozumelmx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:40 PM

Go to friendsofcozumel.coWe help them and have great experences.

#6 GaryM

GaryM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:54 PM

Sorry it has taken me so long to check back in here but I will look into all these tomorrow and see what I can do to help.
DivaDiver, sorry but for some reason I didn't get your email. If you could resend it to gscott (at) primary.net it should get through.
Thanks again, I can't see to see the beautiful waters of Coz again. Less than three weeks!
Gary

#7 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:20 AM

Thank you for you email address, Gary. I received an undeliverable message on the email I sent from this site. I guess there are problems with that function.

You should have a message from me now.

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:08 PM

Are these groups, and organizations now a secret?

Do they not need our support?

Do we have to sign up for FACEBOOK to find out what the need are, and how WE can participate?

This site as well as TR site give you FULL opportunity to beat the drum. To INFORM us...why in the world would anybody ignore that opportunity?

Do I have to sign up for a private email to find out where my money goes?

I refuse to play this game....unless those responsible for these organization come forward with who they are, who they serve, and what the needs are, I will no longer donate.

It's pretty damn simple to me...who are YOU working for, what are THEIR NEEDS, and park your EGO.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:31 PM

Hold on to your hat, there, Firebrand.

I think that link was just to show the tip of the iceberg. As I said, I will be working with Karen to create a webpage on this site that describes all the various charities in detail with information on how to contact them personally. Karen is trying to do a good thing by listing them all but I agree more details and certainly not a facebook sign up should -- or will -- be required.

Also she may have left out one or two. I see Esperenza isn't on there and I'm not sure Susan Bonnet's Children Who Clean is either.

This is something of personal interest to me as well so I'll be working on this as soon starting in the next day or two. It can be a work in progress with everyone contributing until we get it right. How does that sound?

As to private emails, that function currently isn't working on the website. I'll have to talk to my techies about that but I'm not in a huge hurry because I'm not all that keen on private emails myself, to be frank. Why should people engage in the private sharing of information when many people could benefit from a more public discourse.

Now I can understand the need/desire for privacy if you want to share information you wouldn't want leaked out on the internet.But other than that, it's great when people feel free to speak out in public and having good moderation that doesn't tolerate rudeness makes that doable.

#10 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:38 PM

Carey, if I have been rude...my apologies to all the readers.

I received emails via the site quite a bit, so that is working, at least for me.

It is absolute frustration on my part.

Cozumel is special to us all. Humans, and animals alike.

When a very special person asks "how can I help" and no one responds...I don't understand, therefore the frustration.

I truly do not understand some of these folks. Where do their needs supersede the needs of those who they claim to represent?

I did look up the term "Firebrand"

Main Entry: fire·brand
Pronunciation: \-ˌbrand\
Function: noun
Date: 13th century

1 : a piece of burning wood
2 : one that creates unrest or strife (as in aggressively promoting a cause) : agitator

If I am an agitator in this situation, then so be it.

Anonymous

#11 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:55 PM

wood for your head and burning for your temper were more what I had in mind. Ha Ha this is a joke. At least the wood part is.

#12 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:12 PM

ah, my temper has had a long time to simmer...

At this point if any organization who helps humans, and animals wants my support and money then I expect them to come forward, state their needs, what they are doing, and be accountable for the activities they are involved in.

Anonymous

#13 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:09 AM

mea cupla, mea culpa. I'm reticent to post the various charities, as some folks have issues with some and are very supportive of others. I don't wish to open any cans of worms.

I volunteer with several and am supportive of the missions of them all. I can only do so much. This month is my Cruz Roja month.

I think Carey has a great idea of listing them all. Having a go to place for all charities with the mission statements, their needs, etc. It would give folks one place to choose for themselves which they would like to support. Karen & Larry Pedersen do a great job with their clearinghouse for the charities and missions they are involved in.

Carey here's the contact info for La Esperanza, here it is Jan Erickson at cozmujer@yahoo.com.

There's another group providing help to the deaf. Then there's the old folks home, the orphanage and I'm sure others know of more.

There are many needs and many organizations working to fulfill them. Bring them together in one place would do them all some good.

#14 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:47 PM

Thank you Carey for compiling information. I have attempted numerous times to donate time, $ and supplies to a few charitable organizations on the island and be a mule, however, in my case (and I'm only speaking about my case) communication on the organization's part has been nil. It's frustrating to offer help to organizations that consistently brush off your offer, but advertise needing help. Maybe, in the past, I have just tried to involve myself with groups that are not well organized enough to respond to emails or phone calls. It will be nice to have more selection of organizations to assist.

#15 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:47 AM

I've begun work researching the various charities, both Mexican and foreign-based that have a Cozumel focus. Yesterday I interviewed Carrie of Carries Heart, a US based non-profit that supports severely handicapped children who are not being served by the system. Very worthy, well-run organization, very upfront about sharing their tax records and every detail of how they work. I am waiting for Carrie's new updated website to go online in a few weeks. So look for an article on this organization and how you can help if it interests you.

We'll be featuring other organizations as well, of course, as we move along with what we'd like to try to make an in-depth listing However, I thought the following tidbit might be of interest to some -- it was news to me.

According to the IRS website, one cannot deduct contributiions made to a Mexican charity -- even a government recognized one -- unless you have income from sources within Mexico. So don't let the fact that while one local group has recognized charity status and another doesn't sway your decision as to whom you decide to help. (This is IF tax deduction is important to you.) Because, unless you have proof of income in Mexico, it will be non-tax-deductible in any case. At least that's how I read the IRS website. Seems pretty clearly written to me. Source link: http://www.irs.gov/p...blink1000229641

#16 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:48 PM

One of the main issues that has always pledge ANY group and/or organization is... accountability.

In exploring the organization Carrie's Hearts, I came across a URL that was referenced. It is the Donor's Bill of Rights.

I have got to say, if any person, group or organizations whats to know how to do it RIGHT...follow the lead of Carrie's Heart Nonprofit organization.

Frankly, I do NOT care if a person, group, or public organization is an OFFICIAL Nonprofit, but what EVERYONE should care about is accountability by those persons, groups, and organizations as to how they are managing the supplies, and funds that are donated.

There may well be over 20 persons, groups and organizations soliciting funds for humans,and animals on this island, but where to heck is the accountability?

If you soliciting from the public for supplies, and funds, then you are accountable for what, and how those funds are being used. If it a official Nonprofit, then you bank accounts need to be separate, and you need to account for every dollar received, and spent.

If there is a Board of Directors, then those minutes need to be documented, and PUBLISHED.

However, even if you are not an official Nonprofit, you still need to be accountable for how the funds are being used.

I personally have participated in the 3 main organizations here. I have brought in supplies, I have contributed ideas, I have put cash in the box, and have gone to the fundraisers...

Most of the time, it is the individual who sees the need, and takes action. On this little island, that is perhaps the best course of action.

Again, regardless of one persons mission, group or organization, I/We expect accountability.

Donor Bill of Rights
PHILANTHROPY is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life. To assure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the not-for-profit organizations and causes they are asked to support, we declare that all donors have these rights:

I. To be informed of the organization's mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.

II. To be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization's governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.

III. To have access to the organization's most recent financial statements.

IV. To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.

V. To receive appropriate acknowledgment and recognition.

VI. To be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.

VII. To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.

VIII. To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.

IX. To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that an organization may intend to share.

X To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.

Anonymous

#17 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:51 PM

Excellent post Paula. Those are basic foundation points that need to be covered. One problem here is some of the worthy, grass roots efforts are not technologically savvy and lack good contact persons to seek guidance. Some are purely Spanish. Then there are those that have the technology and the volunteer base, but consider themselves above reproach. How dare you question what we receive and what, where and how we choose to allocate those funds.

There are persons and groups that some may not agree with the philosophy behind the mission, but can not fault the end result. There are those that carry personal vendettas against others for whatever reason, real or imagined.

Personally since this is Mexico, I can communicate in Spanish which is the language here, I choose to only donate towards organizations that can indeed provide that information and I personally feel more comfortable with it communicated in Spanish. I will continue to financially support only those groups and people that are happy to provide accounting. There are too many fine people and organizations in Mexico, the U.S. and Canada that I can support with total confidence. In these economic times and governmental revenue shortfalls, the needs grow and more people and things no longer benefit from funding they once enjoyed. Whether you choose to support the environment, animals, people in need or even the arts, we all need to share a little responsibility to make the world a little better, more beautiful and kinder place.

This island has had many scam artists over the years, from fraudulent time share sales, bogus jewelry sales and legitimate appearing charitable fund raising no exception. It is pretty elementary to be able to answer and provide basic proof of this is what we do, this is how we do it, this is our budget and the details and breakdown of how the revenue gets spent. There have been outrageous groups exposed in the States, paying top dollar for television ads, glossy print media and top salaries to the executives, while pennies on the dollar gets spent on the supposed focus.

#18 GaryM

GaryM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:30 AM

I have ordered a few items listed on the chrysalis group website, hopefully they will be delivered on time. I will let y'all know when they get here and of course I will be asking where to deliver them once I get down there next week.
I am so looking forward to soaking in the sun and looking out over those crystal blue waters again...

#19 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:55 PM

Thank you Gary. Chrysalis is supporting 204 students this year (Yes, I have personally counted the list) and have a goal of 230 students for the coming year. You can email me directly, but the website listing is accurate. This year marks the 15th anniversary of Chrysalis. One of their landmark achievements was reached this year when girls entered college that most likely never would have continued into secondary, let alone graduated from Prepa. One of the differences that Chrysalis makes is that once a child is accepted, they know and the parents know, a full education can be achieved. They will not be forced to drop out from lack of financial resources. Too many families make decisions as to which child and for how long they can provide for education. Prepa costs about triple what the early grades cost which means three younger siblings can go to school for the price of one continuing in advanced.

#20 GaryM

GaryM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:50 AM

I dropped off a small box of items yesterday. Unfortunately a few items had fallen out in the car and I didn't realize until we got back to the hotel. If I have a chance I try to drop by Tony's again and drop them off.
BTW, I was the crazy gringo wearing the black cowboy hat, had kinfolk in Texas and was running back to my car.
Good luck with Crysalis!
Gary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users