Photo

70 Views And No Replies What'S Up With That?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Southern Jim

Southern Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:04 PM

I must have just found the third rail for divers in Coz.

Nobody wants to touch it.

Is tipping dive crews that....I don't know sensitive or personal....or what?

Just don't want to overtip and look like I'm trying to be a bigshot and then I also want to be fair to the DMs etc.

Jim

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

There's a huge sports fishing event this weekend and I expect all the people who usually answer this type of question are off messing around with that. If you use the search function on these forums, there have been threads addressing this issue in the past.

#3 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:49 PM

We usually tip $200 pesos to be split between the dive master and the boat captain on a 2 tank dive.
Some people wait until the end of their dive trip to tip, but I know that the staff really like to
get the $$ on each day in case life changes and you leave or change plans and their tip is forgotten..
Good luck on your planned trip to the island.
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#4 Southern Jim

Southern Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:36 PM

Carey and Sailsgal.

I've got it now. I didn't notice the search function, if I had I wouldn't have had to post probably anything.

Thanks for the info and tips.

Jim

#5 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

I normally tip $10 US per person for a 2-tank dive. I've always understood that that was pretty normal. At the end of the week (I normally dive 5 days), I give a $25 per person tip. But with one of the suggestions being to tip $20 per person for a 2-tank dive, now I'm wondering if I'm being cheap.

#6 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

Dan, if you are referring to Sailsgal's comment, notice she said "we" and 200 pesos. I took that as she and her buddy give 100 pesos each. IMHO a tip is what you feel is fair to give for good service, not some pre-ordained amount. I usually give 100 pesos for each 2 tank dive to be split between the capitan and the DM. I have been on trips when it's obvious people are giving a lot less. And there are people who give more. It's a personal decision.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#7 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

This has been discussed ad nauseam on the Scubaboard Cozumel forum. Here's my distillation of years of argument over this topic:

The most common tip is $5/tank/person, but the range is significant.

Tip at the end of each boat trip since personnel can change. Usually, the tip is handed to the boat captain. However, if we have a longstanding relationship with the DM we hand the tip to the DM. In either case, we thank them and say "this is for you and (name of the other person)".

Pesos vs. dollars is a debate with no end, but keep in mind that 100 pesos is currently about USD$7.50, which many people think is a pretty paltry tip for a half-day's work. Irrespective of what you pay for diving, DM's on Cozumel are not paid much so tips make a big difference to them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users