La, El, “A” Or “O“…

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

El, La, “a”, “o”: Easy as Pie? or Fraught with Confusion for Gringos? – The Article

La, El, “a” or “o“…

Cruising the web this morning exposed yet another gringo saying:
” “O” endings on words are masculine :o “

This “gem” of wisdom came from a well experienced gringo who posts very regularly, claims over 20 years on & off in Mexico, and a guy who spins good “insider” yarns about hanging out with many of Merida’s elite, writing advice rich with personal ideas of Mexican/Yucatecan culture.

This little “gem” is particularly seductive, because it is so simple.
Easy to understand, easy to remember, and so easy to apply.

For the rest of the article, with permission to post with proper attribution to: YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan, Steven M. Fry

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

#2 Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

I wish I was three years old again since little ones are like sponges. I find it so hard.

#3 mexcelia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, films, snorkeling, walking, swimming, and photography

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:31 AM

thanks for posting this..........explains a lot of the looks I've received! Wanted to mention that, when I first got to Mexico, I was very popular with the taxi drivers and didn't know why. I thought I was being safe in my conversation, telling them I was overly warm from the weather, but turns out I was actually telling them I was "horny." (caliente) :D Have learned to laugh at myself, a lot.

#4 MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:30 AM

1st sign of gringodom is this exact thing...

for example, people saying donde esta la baρo instead of donde esta el baρo...

Or of course using a long "O" in baρo instead of a short "O", thats a sure sign too.
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users