• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

El, La, “a”, “o”: Easy as Pie? or Fraught with Confusion for Gringos? – The Article

La, El, “a” or “o“…

Cruising the web this morning exposed yet another gringo saying:
” “O” endings on words are masculine :o “

This “gem” of wisdom came from a well experienced gringo who posts very regularly, claims over 20 years on & off in Mexico, and a guy who spins good “insider” yarns about hanging out with many of Merida’s elite, writing advice rich with personal ideas of Mexican/Yucatecan culture.

This little “gem” is particularly seductive, because it is so simple.
Easy to understand, easy to remember, and so easy to apply.
…

For the rest of the article, with permission to post with proper attribution to: YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan, Steven M. Fry

http://yucalandia.wo...os-the-article/

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

I wish I was three years old again since little ones are like sponges. I find it so hard.

Ron

#3 mexcelia

mexcelia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, films, snorkeling, walking, swimming, and photography

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:31 AM

thanks for posting this..........explains a lot of the looks I've received! Wanted to mention that, when I first got to Mexico, I was very popular with the taxi drivers and didn't know why. I thought I was being safe in my conversation, telling them I was overly warm from the weather, but turns out I was actually telling them I was "horny." (caliente) :D Have learned to laugh at myself, a lot.

#4 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:30 AM

1st sign of gringodom is this exact thing...

for example, people saying donde esta la baρo instead of donde esta el baρo...

Or of course using a long "O" in baρo instead of a short "O", thats a sure sign too.
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users