• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

Considering Coral Princess for my next trip and would appreciate any reviews. I have walked through the lobby, walked around outside in the pool/beach area and it looks like a really nice place to stay. I have also read on the website they have regular live music nights. TIA for any reviews from those of you that have stayed there.
Cindy

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:17 AM

we have been members for years at the CP.

My son is staying there now, and if you base it just on what they have had to say it's AWESOME.

The hotel is very, very, very well maintained. The two pool areas are wonderful, one with a swim up bar. Lots of deck chairs, you can jump into the ocean, there is a small coral head that has tons of fish to look at.

Pepe's dive shop right on site with an excellent reputation and always safety comes first.

It is a great place to spend your time.

And yes, there is music, from the Red Eye Band, to Salsa.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:39 AM

Thank you for the info. It was out in front of the CP year before last that Don and I were snorkeling and saw the huge spotted eagle ray.
Cindy

#4 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

We stayed at the Coral Princess a few years ago. I agree with everything C2W says... it is a well run place with very nice people who work there. I would add you get a choice of rooms - jungle view, ocean view and 1 bedroom with kitchenette. Of course we wanted to look at the blue water! Be aware the balconies on those (nice) rooms are tiny... they barely fit 1 chair at an angle. It is a weird design choice and was disappointing for us as we are big balcony sitters. Basically you can stand there and look. I saw then that the one bedrooms have nice big balconies with chairs and table... but of course are more expensive. Our ocean view room did include a little frig which is a welcome touch. I liked the restaurant/bar on site... decent food and drink. You can order from the restaurant and bar and just sign your tab... it can be a bit of a shock at the end of the trip when it's time to pay up. :blink:

I dove with Pepe Scuba that trip and also last year when we stayed at the Fontan, (the hotel next door now called HotelB). Pepe Scuba is convenient when staying there, but also they have very good dive masters. Owner Frank has a very well run shop. Though we had to pay extra for the frig, the Fontan/B has nice big ocean view balconies and the same great snorkeling out front. If depends on your style. IMHO with the larger # of guests, there seems to be more of a festive atmosphere going on at the CP, where the Fontan/B is quiet. Also, going in high season I remember it can be a challenge to get shade at the CP. Shade was an issue at the Fontan too, but I see from recent pix they have (finally) installed umbrellas.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#5 Saz

Saz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

We have stayed at both CP and Hotel B and like both for different reasons. CP does have a great pool and bar area and superb, friendly staff who are extremely attentive to your needs. There generally are more people and maybe more of a vibe going on. However, Hotel B provides another great pool and a fab jacuzzi out on the rocks. The food is better than at CP I believe, and although the staff are very friendly, service can sometimes be rather slow!

The snorkeling is great off both hotels, although I think it is easier to get in and out at CP.

The common areas at the CP are all beautifully maintained and modern.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace! Jimmi Hendrix

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:29 PM

Coral Princess does have a FB page, and perhaps if you work with the Concierge they will be able to direct you to a member who would be willing to sell you their coupons.

I would recommend the Coral Villa on the owners side. It is a very large *one bedroom condo, with full kitchen, living room and dining room. The balcony has a 4 place table, and 2 lounge chairs.

* you can add more bedrooms on to the CV is needed.

A number of people sell their coupons so good deals can be had.

We don't sell our membership coupons.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#7 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

I have also stayed at the Fontan and enjoyed it but they wouldn't negotiate enough to suit me on price now that they are Hotel B. I booked with CP and look forward to our stay there. I have stayed at Play Azul several times and love it there also.
Airfare purchased, hotel booked; now I have to patiently wait until February. Well, I do have a cruise booked in December and will get to stay one whole day on the island!
Cindy

#8 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

The CP looks nice. I have a question... Is that north hotel zone seedy? I just never had the warm and fuzzy feeling up that way...

Just curious
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

I prefer the north end of the island. Seedy, not in the least. Some of the most beautiful homes and condo's are there.

Anonymous

#10 Patches

Patches

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

I agree - the North end is amazing - not sure what is "seedy" about it? Can you enlighten us?

#11 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

We walk and drive all over the north end.
Cindy

#12 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

Thanks... The north end is the least familiar to me, so maybe thats why I feel that way. Kinda like when i pass by Mezcalitos it seems seedy with some little guy waving you in... lol
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#13 TheOptimist

TheOptimist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

We've been staying at the CP for over 10 yrs ( as members) Never had a bad experience and the staff is always friendly. Pedro and the guys at concierge desk are the best. If you are a diver - Pepe's is as good as they come on the island. We don't often eat at the CP because we are real foodies and we love the selection of GREAT restaurants in town but when we have eaten there it has been good. ( mostly breakfasts )

Coral Princess is a great value for overall location, views, service and comfort.

P.S - We have stayed at other places on Coz and we always come back to CP.

Mike

#14 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:59 AM

Thanks... The north end is the least familiar to me, so maybe thats why I feel that way. Kinda like when i pass by Mezcalitos it seems seedy with some little guy waving you in... lol

We like to drive on north past the waste water treatment plant to where the fishing boats are. We also took another road and made our way to another area where some locals were feeding the little raccoon looking animals. We stopped to take pictures and they came over to our jeep to check us out. I then remembered I had an open package of peanut butter crackers open which was why one of the little critters was about to make its way up and into the jeep with me. The road up that way is full of pot holes and you have to drive really slow, but it is kinda neat to check out; we must like it; we do that every time we go there.
Cindy

#15 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

They are Pigmy's Raccoons. My son was up there last week and said that they saw little kids feeding them cheese-its.

It would appear the raccoons have a varied diet.

It you look around back on the roads next to the ocean, there is the ruins of the old Presidential residence. It has a very large stone water well in front. The building is all torn up from hurricanes, but man what a view.

Anonymous

#16 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

They are Pigmy's Raccoons. My son was up there last week and said that they saw little kids feeding them cheese-its.

It would appear the raccoons have a varied diet.

It you look around back on the roads next to the ocean, there is the ruins of the old Presidential residence. It has a very large stone water well in front. The building is all torn up from hurricanes, but man what a view.

I will look for that; may have seen it already and didnt' know what it was; you can quite a bit of hurricane destruction around there.
Cindy

#17 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:56 AM

if you would like a little night time back in that area, take a flash light and some fruit and set it down and see if you can see Paca's.

That is what they are called here. We have a family of them where I live, and I 'Paca' lunch for them of veggies, and fruit.

They are also known as 'The Royal Rat' because it was served to Queen Elizabeth II in Belize.

We also have Coatiundi's...which are pretty cool critters. They are part of the raccoon family.
http://www.squidoo.com/coatimunde

Anonymous

#18 cozumelwantabe

cozumelwantabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

I know Sandra had a Coatiundi at her resturant on the wild side, does she still have it at the new place on the cross island road?
Our friend went to pet it and we thought it was trying to attack her, found out it wasn't but it did make us laugh...

#19 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

I just stayed at Coral Princess back in Feb. It was a nice hotel with ok rooms unless you upgrade. The standard ocean view has the worlds smallest balcony as somebody had mentioned. I thought the food was mediocre at best, which for us isn't a really big deal since we eat in town all the time. The pool and pool bar is great and they have happy hour late each afternoon along with live music a couple of nights a week. I love staying in town but the north side is getting hard to pass up.

#20 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:35 PM

CDLU, while at the CP, they have a buffet breakfast on the week ends, with eggs any style you would like as well as any type of omelette's made to order.

The French Toast is to die for...it is one of my favorites.

If you have lunch there, try the club sandwich which is excellent. They also make great hamburgers, and the hot dogs are very good as well.

I haven't eaten dinner there in quite a while, so I can't comment on that.

Also, try a Dirty Monkey...it is a very yummy cocktail that is very refreshing.

As for any place you stay, if you don't like it there are many other places that might fit what your looking for on your next visit.

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users