3 replies to this topic

#1 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

Today we are leaving Ambergris Caye to go back to Cozume. The vacation is over. Dave, I and my neighbors were up early as the water taxi leaves at 7:30am and we needed to catch that one in order to make it home that night. The hotel office doesn't open that early so we just left the keys in our rooms.

Posted Image

The taxi was a little late arriving so we hung around the pier.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The sea was a little rough today so we managed to get a seat in the back.

Posted Image

Once in Chetumal we cleared customs quickly and took a taxi to the bus station. We had no idea of the bus schedule but wanted to take the next one to Playa del Carmen. We had to wait a little over an hour so went to look for a cold beer and something to eat. There are a couple of restaurants around the bus station but none of them sell beer. I guess I have to wait.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The tickets we purchased happened to be for an Executive Bus because that was the next one leaving. The tickets cost around $30 to $50 pesos more but were well worth the extra expense. I've never been on one before but they hand out free drinks and headphones while you are boarding. The seats are larger and recline further back. There are also his and her washrooms along with more TV monitors to watch the movie on. I would take these busses anytime.

Posted Image

The trip was good and the ride back was excellent. I now have a cold Dos Equis in my hand and am leaving Playa for Cozumel. It was a great week.

Posted Image

#2 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

Thanks for taking us along on your trip to Belize, Steve. Entertaining as usual.

I took a 1st class Oro class or something like that bus to Merida a couple years ago. OMG! For just a bit more $$ we had our own private waiting room with bathroom in Cancun - no having to go upstairs and schlep the luggage up with you. The seats reclined back and had this ottoman arrangement to put up your feet. We all got a little packet with ear plugs, eyeshades, moist towelettes and a few other things. His and Her bathrooms, Clean. Refreshments. TV volume was low. It was NICE... albeit overkill for the 4+/- hrs to Merida. But I would def prefer to take that bus on a long &/or overnight trip.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#3 broylance

broylance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

Steve,
You mentioned that the water taxi from Ambergris to Chetumal is 2.5 hours and the bus to Playa is 4.5 hours. Just curious how long the overall trip took. I am considering adding a few days to our trip to Ambergris Caye/Caye Caulker in Dec. and heading up to Cozumel for a few days and flying home from there.
Thanks so much for the trip reports, they were my inspiration. :D

#4 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

We left at 8:00am in the morning and caught the 5:00pm ferry back to Cozumel. We had to wait at the ferry pier in Ambergris for the water taxi to gas up then had a little over an hour to spare in Chetumal before the bus left. We just made it in time for the ferry to Cozumel otherwise we would have had to wait an extra hour for the next one. It's a full day of traveling but nothing stressful. The total time was around 9 hours. We stayed about a week and my neighbors stayed 2 nights. I think it is worth the trip and is fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users