2 replies to this topic

#1 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

Gordon and I were catching the 11:00 am car ferry over to the mainland so we were up fairly early. It doesn't take much to pack for an overnight trip so we went to Mega for some beer and ice then over to La Palpalia for beer while we waited for time to pass so we could get in line for the ferry. We're taking Gordon's car over as it has air and they just bought it down there so it is ready for a test drive.

Posted Image

There weren't many people here except a few waiting to go out on a snorkeling tour. Beers are $25 pesos and we only had two. One of the reasons we stopped here is we could see when the ferry was coming from Playa so we new when to leave.

Posted Image

Gordon didn't feel comfortable driving the car up the ramp on the ferry so I drove until we got on the ship. By the time we got in line they were just starting to load.

Posted Image

I've seen many people not be able to make it up the dreaded ramp and have to park downstairs.

Posted Image

Once your car is parked you have to go to the lounge area where the cashier is and pay your fare. It was still $380 pesos plus $60 pesos for me as I was a passenger. The driver rides free. The view from the ship is wonderful. It only takes about 1/2 hour longer than the passenger ferry and I think the ride on either one is great.

Posted Image

It's a good day to be on the water and it wasn't long before we were off the ferry and on our way to Tulum which is about one hour down the coast. We made it in 35 minutes with Gordon driving. I don't go that fast.

Posted Image

Once in Tulum we stopped for some lunch. I had e-mailed Trudy that we were coming but never got anything back. We don't like to impose on people so grabbed a bite to eat at Camellio's first.

Posted Image

Camellio's probably has the best seafood around at decent prices. We had a couple of shrimp tacos and a couple of beers.

Posted Image

It's about a 25 minute drive from Tulum down the Coba road to Franciscio Uh My where Trudy lives. She is about 5 minutes outside of town in the jungle. She and her boyfriend have been building the house for a couple of years and the building is coming along as the money comes it. She is a retired school teacher on a limited income and everything is paid for as it gets put up. They had to put the road coming into their property.

Posted Image

They have been living in the first floor for about a year now and are and are finally getting the second put on.

Posted Image

#2 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

They have a nice path through the wooded area.

Posted Image

We visited for a while then had to find a place to stay for the night. We could have slept there but Gordon doesn't like hammocks so we ran up to Coba to get a room. I've spent the night in Coba at least a dozen times and there isn't much here. We opted for the Sac Be Hotel across the street from the bus station. The room was $400 pesos a night and is clean and basic. They have a restaurant and bar ares.

Posted Image

After checking in we went back and picked up Trudy and Antelmo so they could join us for dinner. We went to the old Club Med in Coba. There were no other customers. I stayed here somewhere around 1993 and thought it overprice at $800 pesos a night but it is still a nice place.

Posted Image

It does overlook one of the 5 lakes in the area.

Posted Image

Dinner was all right. We had fajitas, pork chops, fish, and steak. A don't know what happened to all the photos.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dinner was decent. Gordon said that it was the best steak he has had in Mexico. I think he had to many drinks. Anyway, we left the hotel and neither of us wanted to drive Trudy back to her house so we gave her the car with instructions to pick us up in the morning after she dropped us off at our hotel.

Posted Image

#3 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:13 AM

I stayed at the 'old club med' in Chitchen Itza (the hotel is now called Villas Arqueologicas and is one of the three hotels right at the ruins, not in town). It looks like they were all built from the same plans. It was a very nice place. Thanks again for all your photos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users