• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Southern Jim

Southern Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

Was at Mezcalitos about ten days ago and had the grouper w/garlic. Was one of the best pieces of fish I think I've ever had. Does anyone have the recipe? (There's has to be more to it than just grilling and putting garlic on it.)

Hope someone can help I have a few fish in the freezer and would love to try and duplicate that at home and impress the neighbors and friends.

Thanks,
Jim

#2 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:53 AM

Honestly, from experiences eating delicious fish on the island and from eating at Mezcalito's, I suspect it really is throwing fish on the grill with butter and garlic. Simple is often best.

The tricks, of course, are:

1) it's grouper, which is endangered and which is best to avoid eating, but extremely tasty
2) it's very fresh and has never been frozen
3) the cook knows what he's doing and has done this a million times before

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

if it came out crispy, then from what I have seen how they cook, it is in a vat of hot oil they dip it in.

I can't eat from 'vat' cooking. I am severely allergic to anything that has come in contact with seafood, and if they cooked a shrimp in that oil, major problems.

Which I had about 2 weeks ago. A spoon, or pan was reused without washing and it caused me a trip to the clinic at midnight.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

I have had filete de mero a la plancha at Mezcalito's, so I know it's possible that Southern Jim is referring to grilled grouper. I don't recall if they have it fried or not.

#5 Southern Jim

Southern Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

Yep it was definitely grilled. Really good too. I'd vote for butter with the garlic but there was also something else.

I have grilled fish with butter and garlic and I love it but this was so much better than what I've done. Would love to duplicate it at home. Impress friends and neighbors kind of thing.

Still hoping someone knows someone whose brother is related to the guy .....

Jim

#6 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

Yep it was definitely grilled. Really good too. I'd vote for butter with the garlic but there was also something else.

I have grilled fish with butter and garlic and I love it but this was so much better than what I've done. Would love to duplicate it at home. Impress friends and neighbors kind of thing.

Still hoping someone knows someone whose brother is related to the guy .....

Jim

Maybe it was the atmosphere, view, cerveza, island breeze or music... B) B) B)
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#7 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

You beat me to it. What doesn't taste better with the surroundings?

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#8 Southern Jim

Southern Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:38 PM

Chief, Mark, et al

I'm not a snob but I am a 'foodie', I guess.

I've lived in the New Orleans area for 30+ yrs.

There is great food here but some of the best is at places tourists wouldn't even consider.

We, the locals, and I now consider myself a local, at least as far as food is concerned, are not impressed by location and/or presentation.

The food stands on it's own.

I agree the location was awesome. But, if they were just serving fish on a plate I would not be here looking for the recipe.

The fish was friggin' amazing!

Still hoping for the 'secret' ingredients.

Jim

#9 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:19 PM

Well, maybe I am not a foodie then. I remain convinced that any fish will taste better with an ocean breeze in your face versus in a dirty truck stop restroom. (Not that I eat fish there, I'm just saying as an example.:P)

I also think the presentation of the food Kinta for instance certainly adds to the experience. I mean I guess if you scraped it into a a bowl and mixed it around a bit, it might taste the same, but I remain convinced it would lose something.

Then again standing in line and getting the cup of esquites is a rounded experience. It is just a banged up aluminum pot with corn and butter in it transferred to a styrofoam cup, but there is a full experience there as well.

I also have to say when I was at a friend's home and his kids found out I had an esquites thing, they ran out to the corner store and got the fixins to make me some, that added to the experience. It didn't add to the taste, it added to the experience.

I guess I eat with all my senses. (Maybe I eat too much cuz I am feeding all those senses....?)

And if you are talking about the best places in New Orleans being off the beaten path, I would be up for it. (I mean I'll pack iron, maybe times two, but I would go....)

If you are talking about Coz place, make a list, I will try them. If it is good, I bet I will come away with an appreciation for the WHOLE experience, not just what lands between the knife and fork.

Of course if it sucks, the ocean breeze won't help either.... Still crappy food is better in a good setting than a truck stop restroom :P

By way of bonifides, my wife makes me watch Food Network stuff ALL the time and they never judge on taste alone. :P

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#10 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:06 AM

Lotta good points there. Chief, you should try the grilled snapper at the TA Truckstop just north of denton texas - good stuff!

just kidding, but we do have a gourmet restaurant located inside a conoco gas station in wautaga (near ft worth) and the food is awesome.

Ever notice how good a corona con lima, a sol or XX tastes when you're parched? I could down 2-3 beers in a row that way.

Food, the same way.

I'll be hitting Mezcalitos early next week - I will try to find out the recipe

MC
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#11 Southern Jim

Southern Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:45 AM

Ok Mark, I'll hold off on grilling the redfish till I hear from you.

Jim

#12 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:51 AM

Ever notice how good a corona con lima, a sol or XX tastes when you're parched? I could down 2-3 beers in a row that way.

MC

I have also found the same thing with:

Modelo Especial
Modelo Negro
Victoria
Pacifico
Superior
and a couple others..... :P

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#13 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:51 PM

Ok Mark, I'll hold off on grilling the redfish till I hear from you.

Jim

I will be back online june 11. often times, they will talk to a native spanish speaker more than a typical american.

I have also found the same thing with:

Modelo Especial
Modelo Negro
Victoria
Pacifico
Superior
and a couple others..... :P

yeah yeah yeah chief! B)

#14 cozumelwantabe

cozumelwantabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:05 PM

Lotta good points there. Chief, you should try the grilled snapper at the TA Truckstop just north of denton texas - good stuff!

just kidding, but we do have a gourmet restaurant located inside a conoco gas station in wautaga (near ft worth) and the food is awesome.

Food, the same way.

I'll be hitting Mezcalitos early next week - I will try to find out the recipe

MC

XX AMBER :D

No WAIT!!! I didn't mean that... do not drink XX Amber B)

#15 itzrandy

itzrandy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

Well, I was wondering if all you regulars remember how good the grilled garlic shrimp used to be at Mezcalitos? On a visit about two years ago (we come annually) we bribed the cook and he took me back into the kitchen to watch him do the shrimp. I think I still have the recipe written down somewhere, but there were two key ingredients besides butter/garlic. One is Maggi seasoning and worcestershire sauce and fresh lemon/lime juice. I was thinking that they might be using the same "marinade" on the fish? Anyway, when we come back in early October I will head on down and check out that fish and then I will know if it is the same recipe.
Thanks, Becky

#16 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:20 PM

Maggi is the product name, Jugo is the sauce made by Maggi.

I use this all the time when I saute.

It is a very dark, and salty favor very similar to Soy Sauce but more intense.

I always keep at least two bottles in inventory of Jugo.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#17 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:29 PM

I got that first at Frattelis (sp) for Pizza. Seemed weird, but was REALLY good.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#18 Southern Jim

Southern Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:32 PM

Becky,

I thought I tasted worcestershire but wasn't sure, so adding the Maggi + the w. sauce might just be the final ingredient.

I'm gonna give it a try this weekend.

Thanks,

Jim

#19 Southern Jim

Southern Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

After getting the info, the tip about Maggi etc, I grilled Redfish twice, first time it was close but not the real thing.

The second attempt was damn close, you can never get it exactly.

I grilled redfish w/scales down using these marinades.

This was best:

2 tbsp butter

4 tbsp worcestschire

5 shakes of the Maggi bottle

2 or 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped

1 lime squeezed for juice

grilled on a gas grill for about 10 mins med heat, it was great.

(Note: the redfish still had skin and scales and was cooked scales down for the total time.)

Thanks for the info on Maggi Becky!

Jim

#20 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

I bought a pound of grouper this weekend and tried the above recipe and it was DARN CLOSE... And I have the exact recipe for their margaritas and well, I'll just say it only took about 1½ of them to get me loaded LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users