• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 itzrandy

itzrandy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

Hey Jim, I am still looking for that infamous scrap of paper that I wrote down the Mescalitos Shrimp marinade/sauce, but glad you are getting good results with the Maggi seasoning. I was wondering if you are the same JIM that we have met at Tony's and I brought you some Salt Water Taffy one time???? Becky
We are the ones who brought the heart monitor to the vet there and we had a big party at Tony Romes. Becky

#22 Southern Jim

Southern Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:41 AM

Becky,

Not guilty. This was my first trip so I am not the Jim you knew/met earlier. However I am definitely hooked and started planning my next trip before I was at the airport heading back to the states.

But a girl who has "randy" in her on screen id I definitely wish I'd met. ;-)

Jim

#23 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

Your using the Maggi brand of product, but now I am not sure in regards to that brand what exactly you are using.

Is it Jugo, or something else?

There are a number of different products that Maggi makes.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#24 Southern Jim

Southern Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

Coz2Wonder,

After I heard of the Maggi from Becky I was in a bakery in Ponchatoula, La and they had Maggi sauce for sale. Bought it, it tastes exactly as you described earlier, like soy sauce but more intense (I would say soy sauce on steroids).

It seemed to work perfectly. I didn’t notice a specific style or name but here is a picture of the bottle I bought.

Jim

OK disregard the part about the picture. I tried and have not been able to get a jpeg in this post. But it's a brown glass bottle with a yellow label, with a red dialog balloon the says Maggi inside and points to script lettering that says 'sauce'.

Some day when I figure the picture thing out I'll include it.

#25 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:10 AM

Maggi is a Swiss-German company now owned by Nestle. Their famous liquid seasoning was invented in the late 1800's by a Swiss guy who built a factory for it in Germany.

Their "seasoning" is available practically everywhere in the world, including the next town over here in rural New Hampshire (my town doesn't even have a gas station, so it doesn't count). Most Wal-Marts that carry groceries have it, as does essentially every asian, latin, west African, or central European specialty market. As far as I know, only their seasoning, soup packets, and bouillon cubes are readily available in the US. The red and yellow label here just says Maggi Seasoning. It's exactly the same as the original Maggi-Würze I grew up with in Germany as well as the Maggi Jugo sold in Mexico and many other forms of labeling around the world.

What Southern Jim has is exactly what he'd get in Mexico labeled as Maggi Jugo.

It's usually found in the spice aisle near the gravy browning, not with the soy sauce. It's similar to soy sauce in that it's a heavily-salted hydrolyzed vegetable protein product, but it's not produced by fermentation and does not contain any soy.

Check out this interesting article.

Posted Image

#26 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:45 AM

My first experience with Maggi was about 45 years ago. Our neighbour was a Geraman lady who used to make us German potato salad which was served warm. It has a distinct flavour and nothing else tastses the same. I also use it on fish and rice noodles.

#27 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:58 AM

Fascinating article. Thanks for the education!

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#28 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

I found out 2 nights ago that this recipe works great with Tilapia too ;)
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#29 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

the chief at the Rasta bar showed me how he cooks fajita, and fish...using all the above cooking methods. He finishes the fry with a good dose of beer, and lets it fry off.

He might use the other half for himself, that's what any good cook would do :)

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#30 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

the chief at the Rasta bar showed me how he cooks fajita, and fish...using all the above cooking methods. He finishes the fry with a good dose of beer, and lets it fry off.

He might use the other half for himself, that's what any good cook would do :)

That would be a major party foul if he let good mezkin brew go to waste!
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users