6 replies to this topic

#1 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

This morning we were up and ready to go but realized that we never told Trudy when to come back and pick us up. We did say that we would take them out for breakfast but never agreed on a time.Trudy finally showed up around 10:00 am. We wanted to try someplace new so left Coba heading towards Tulum thinking that we would find a place open. After stopping at a couple of places (there are not many places on that road) we found one that was open.

Posted Image

The outside looks small but the interior was huge. The place looks like it was set up to handle tour bus groups. It had washrooms that could accommodate at least 15 people at a time along with a huge dining area. We were the only people there. I guess they are getting ready for the future. They even had a large gift shop.

Posted Image

The property was nice along with the views of the jungle. I had no complaints about the food except it took a while to be served. I don't think they are used to having customers.

Posted Image

We took Trudy home and left in a hurry as we wanted to catch the next car ferry home. On the way back to Tulum we realized that even if we broke all records we still wouldn't have enough time to catch it. We are stuck here until 6:00 pm so let's go down to the beach.

Posted Image

I love Tulum but it has changed so much. I stop by every year but something hit me this time. It used to be there were maybe a dozen or so places you could stay at. All the names were familiar but now there has to be well over a hundred places. Prices ranged from $80 pesos to $600 pesos a night depending on what you wanted. There were always quite a few people but most were backpackers. It was a great place to just relax and get away.

Posted Image

The beach is still one of the nicest in Mexico but with the number of tourists coming now it will never be like it was.

Posted Image

I have probably stayed at Cabanas Tulum a dozen times. I don't even recognize it today with all the remodeling they have done except for the layout and the area. There is a restaurant there now called El Bistro which looks like it took the place of their old one.

Posted Image

We stayed and had a few drinks at the bar. Everything is nice about it but somehow I feel enclosed.

Posted Image

I wanted to go down to Mar Cribe which is now Marachi Beach. It is a little south of the ruins and is one of the nicest public beaches around.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

It's a shame to see the old Don Cafitos going to ruins because of all the property disputes going on. I camped here for weeks at a time. I guess it's called progress. I imagine I will be going to Punta Allen more often with a stop at Xamach Dos in the future. It's less crowded in that area.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's time to get to the ferry. We still have another 45 minute drive but Gordon is good at making time in the car. We made it with 20 minutes to spare.

Posted Image

A sunset cruise is always nice. One thing to mention is the car ferry price is going up. The price is increasing from $380 pesos to $500 pesos for their special rate unless you have a Transcaribe local plan card. We did manage to get the discount rate as it just came into effect and there is a one month grace period to give you time to get it. All in all the trip was good. The good thing about staying or living on Cozumel is you are only a short distance from the mainland and you could spend a lifetime exploring everything around the area.

Posted Image

#3 Agnes62

Agnes62

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

Beautiful photos! I sure hope you are compiling a book!

#4 mlfoto

mlfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, river running, guitar, tomatoes, chiles. Latinjourneys.net
    Mandjphoto.com

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:47 PM

Things sure have changed on the beach, Steve. Change those prices from pesos to dollars and that's the current price range. It's insane how basic and grubby a $100 USD a night "eco-chic" cabaņa can be.

Still, the beach is lovely and there is a nice assortment of restaurants.

#5 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:14 PM

mlfoto...Tulum is getting way to crowded and overpriced. I stopped staying on the beach about 5 years ago. I can't afford it anymore. They want $180 US for a cabana I used to stay in for $250 pesos a night that now has a sliding glass door and a new paint job. I couldn't even tell you how many places there are on the beach road anymore. I knew this would happen because Tulum has the best beach in Mexico but didn't think it would happen this quickly. Give Punta Allen a try. It's still pretty laid back and the amount of people that go down there is limited because of the road. If that road ever gets paved that will be gone also.

#6 mlfoto

mlfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, river running, guitar, tomatoes, chiles. Latinjourneys.net
    Mandjphoto.com

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

Agreed. I drove about 4 km past the gate to the tented camp/hotel, Cesiak. It is a pretty rough road. In fact, it makes a really rough, pot-holed road look good.

We did find a decent room at Las Palmas Maya, across the road from Cabañas Tulum and Om restaurant for $65 US a night. It wasn't great, but it was clean and comfortable, and easily better than the few places in town that I have seen.

There was a place a little further north called Parayso that is on the water and was advertising rooms for $75 US a night this past weekend. I stayed there a few years ago, the bed was hard and the pillow was rigid foam, but there was a refer in the room and it had a nice ocean view. It came with the ubiquitous swan/towel.

#7 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:31 AM

I thought the police were trying to stop the hotels from offering "refer" in their rooms. JaJa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users