• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:17 AM

We are looking for a well priced palapero to replace some grass and maybe some of the wood on our palapa.
English speaker is not necessary.

Thanks

Posted Image

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:29 AM

We use Timiteo 987-113-1742

He has worked on our palapa for a number of years now, and his work is excellent.

They are fast, and clean up after themselves.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

We use Timiteo 987-113-1742

He has worked on our palapa for a number of years now, and his work is excellent.

They are fast, and clean up after themselves.

But don't call them palaperos. It is apparently rude. Something to do with dogs in idyomatic Spanish. Call the guy you talk to a Maestro as in Maestro de las palaperos. Also be prepared to be shocked. That kind of work is not cheap. Finally, your palapa will last a lot longer if you have good quality netting put over the top. From the picture it looks like you don't have that on your current roof?? That costs extra but I have seen it extend the life of my two considerably over the ones I had before Wilma that didn't have the netting.

If you don't already know, ask Paula about the different types of thatching you can choose. Some of the grasses are harder to get but more durable so cost more.

#4 Agnes62

Agnes62

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:46 PM

That is really a beautiful patio!

#5 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:30 PM

daniel is one of the best.... did chankanaab's palapa, and did mine for a very good price.
if you can, get guano thatching instead of sacate. guano has a "bone" in the fronds, they don't fall apart, and when they drip, it is not dirty like it is with sacate, which is basically dried weeds. guano is also faster to put up and take down, not to mention it lasts at least 15 years.
yes, the netting is necessary. make sure the presupuesto includes the netting.
sorry i can't find the number right now...
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:18 AM

if your only going to replace some of the roof, stick with what you have. It looks like it is sacate.

We check our netting yearly, and replace at least every 2 years.
Our roof is 9 years old, and has been through 2 cat 5 hurricanes.

We choose sacate grass for a couple of reasons. First, when it rains the grass swells and fills in dead space and prevents leaks. It's like he heals itself. Second, it is very strong and can be walked on if necessary.

All leaf or grass give off tannin, so when it's first installed it will drip tannin for a while.

It comes down to preference, and budget.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#7 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

We would like to stay with the grass we have in place since we only need a few holes patched. The netting is already there too.

We always have sticker shock when it comes to the palapa. We had it built for a total of $900 usd years ago. After Wilma we had to pay close to $2000 just to replace the grass! Fortunately we had palapa insurance that took care of all of it. :D

Thanks for the Maestro's recommendations.

#8 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:32 AM

I would love to learn more about palapa insurance.

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:34 PM

no more Palapa insurance is written. :(

You might want to check if pools are covered as well.

We ended up dropping the insurance because the household 'grouping' and deductable just didn't make sense to us anymore. Example; doors, where different them windows and each group of doors was 500 usd deductable. Floors where different then wall, each with a 500 usd deductable...and on, and on.

If you have homeowners insurance, read very carefully what the grouping is, and what is excluded.

They did have one positive thing that we where able to take advantage of and that was debrie removal, up to 10k, and no deductable.

If it has changed how they write policies that would be a good thing to know.

Anonymous

#10 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

But don't call them palaperos. It is apparently rude. Something to do with dogs in idyomatic Spanish. Call the guy you talk to a Maestro as in Maestro de las palaperos.

According to the boss "Palapero" is the correct word to use, what you want to do is avoid saying is palapa perro/perra, referring to lazy dogs or people who lay or sit around under palapas.....

#11 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

Traveler...I am sorry to say it but I am a plapa perro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users