1 reply to this topic

#1 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

I got my normal stuff done this morning like shopping and picking up beer and ice. Yesterday I was told that it is Easter so we planned a dinner at David's place. We got a surprise when David's neighbor Steve said a friend left him a $100 tip for letting him stay at his house for a week and he would pay for the food and alcohol. It worked out good. David was at home cooking the pork roast and vegetables while I was making dinner rolls and mashed potatoes. Other people would bring more dishes.

Posted Image

I arrived at David's house early and took a photo of his banana plant. It looks like it is doing good and has a lot of potential bananas on it. I didn't know very much about bananas but looked it up when I got home as I want to grow one. Banana is the largest flowering plant and is not a tree. One plant only produces one set of bananas and can have as many as 160 or more bananas on it. It takes around 9 to 12 months to grow and produce. I need to try and grow one.

Posted Image

On the island you really have to do something to keep yourself occupied. Having a party is one of those things. It's just a time to get together with friends and do something. The dinner looked great and tasted just as good.

Posted Image

We had quite a few people show up and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mauro always brings his guitar when he comes and he played for us after dinner. It was another good day.

Posted Image

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

that is one heck of a crop of bananas.

The fruit comes from what are called 'fingers' those will continue to produce unless you cut the seed off, which is that big purple thing. You can see from the picture at least 3 rows of dead 'fingers', and the seed pod is continuing to produce more fruit which are the white things by the pod.

If you cut the pod, then the energy goes to the fruit, and not producing more bananas.

Once the crop starts to just get a light green, and maybe a tiny bit yellow, the whole thing should be cut, in one piece, and hung in a shady place until they ripen.

Enjoying your journey Steve.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users