• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

It's a good time to check the age of your propane tank or cylinders if you own them before the hurricane season.

The life of a tank/cylinder is 10 years, and it is stamped into the tank.

You don't want to find out your tank is EOL when you are preparing for a storm because you will be SOL in that case.

We are replacing our tank, because it is 10 years old, even thought it has been inside a bodega and protected.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:10 AM

Will the gas guys in Mexico even fill them if the tank is older than 10 years....or do they care about that sort of thing? I know they can not be filled in the states if they are beyond 10 years.

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:20 AM

they allowed us one additional fill, then said that was it.

The metal becomes fatigued from being under pressure, and if they are not in a protected environment, and maintained they will corrode.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 Jim912

Jim912

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, teaching scuba and working on our house.

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:49 PM

All the tanks we have bought. Six I think all had surface scratches and just a light coat of paint. I give them a light sanding and spray on about two or three coats of paint. Had two smaller tanks that came with the house. No telling how old they were. The last one started leaking last summer. Between the smell and the flies no doubt what was happening. I put it out front by the trash container and put a cable on it. When I caught the propane guy coming down the street showed him what it doing. He hauled it off for free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users