3 replies to this topic

#1 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

I went and picked up beer and ice this morning only I needed to get a little extra. Tonight we are going to camp on the north east end of the island. You take the dirt road before you get to Meczalitos. David has a friend that owns a piece of property up there so his neighbor Steve, David, and I are going to spend the night there. It's just something else to do but we have to pack the Explorer first.

Posted Image

It can be a rough road but we are only going a couple of kilometers.

Posted Image

The area and beaches on this end are beautiful. Who wouldn't want to own a piece of property up here even though you can't build much .

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A few property owners have built small areas for shade but that is about all you are going to see. I don't know if they even do the dune buggy tours up here anymore as the road is overgrown with grass. You might see a few people and the military but that's about it.

Posted Image

We had a few beers and got our camp set up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is a view from where we are sleeping.

Posted Image

No camping trip is complete without a campfire so we got ours going. There is lots of dried firewood around so that's not a problem.

Posted Image

This is our view looking west towards the sunset.

Posted Image

Everyone brought something for dinner so we had a good meal and quite a few drinks while sitting around the campfire and enjoying life. It's nice to get away from the big city life of Cozumel for a little while.

Posted Image

#2 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

So the Mossies didn't try to carry any of you off? It does look nice.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#3 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:35 PM

I'll tell you they can be bad. For sleeping everyone had mosquito netting which made for a good night's sleep. Around sunset they came around but as long as you were by the fire it wasn't bad at all. The worse time was around sunrise. I wanted to watch the sun come up and the mosquitos were everywhere. I was on the beach and had to go back and grab my blanket to put around me to keep from getting bit. My blanket does reach from my shoulders to the ground but still had to keep swatting them off my head. I did manage to watch the sun rise but headed right back to the campfire that we had going again. The mosquitos can be a terror. They will drive you crazy. I seem to find at dusk they can be bad but around sunrise they are 10 times worse. If you have a fire going you are fairly safe within a 10 foot radius of it. They only last for a couple of hours. Once the sun is up and most of the dew is gone so are the mosquitos. If you walk into the brush you will arouse them again. The insect to watch out for during the day is the fly. Around the water here in the states we call them the horse fly. I'm not sure what they are called on Cozumel. Maybe the Bot Fly but thoses suckers sure can bite. I wouldn't let a few mosquitos or flys deter you if you want to sleep on the beach. Keep a fire going and if they get bad just go sit by it until they are gone.

#4 liverbird

liverbird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

I think the horse flies are tabanos, or "flying teeth" as the Mayans call them. At least that's what I've been told. Horrible little buggers they are. I'm also allergic to their bite and come up in huge lumps. Very attractive indeed.

The camping looks loads of fun you really get to enjoy the island!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users