7 replies to this topic

#1 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:19 PM

No beer and ice this morning. I have to catch the early ferry over to Playa and a few things still have to be done before I leave. I had the house cleaned yesterday for $200 pesos. The fridge needs to be unpluged and the door blocked open to prevent mold. The gas and water have to be shut off. Some of the windows need to be left open and I keep a couple of fans going so there is a little air circulation. The last of the garbage is taken out and David shows up to take me to the ferry pier.

Posted Image

I still think this pier is one of the ugliest structures on Cozumel. Sometimes there are tables set up where they check your luggage and sometimes not. The luggage carousel that they use for incoming passengers is about as secure as the ones at the airport. They're not.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

When you know it's time to go home the ride back can be a little depressing but at least there is a nice boat trip to look forward to. It's been raining all morning and I hope it lets up before I have to get soaked walking to the bus station. I always ride on the upper deck but sat a little under the roof today.

Posted Image

I still feel a little sad leaving.

Posted Image

The rain quit half way over and Playa wasn't very crowded this early in the morning.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I caught the bus to the airport. They always drop you off at terminal 2 but I had to get to terminal 3. If you are not leaving from terminal 2 allow a little extra time to get to terminal 3.The shuttle only comes by every 20 minutes and sometimes it can be crowded. As you are facing the airport keep walking to your left and you will find it.

Posted Image

Getting through security was fairly quick as the airport wasn't that crowded. I had plenty of time left to shop in the duty free store. If I am buying alcohol to take home I buy it there. It might a little cheaper or a little more but I can carry it on the airplane and don't have to worry about it breaking in my suitcase or the extra weight.

Posted Image

It's been a good trip but went by way to fast. I'll be back July 3rd for at least a month with Bob, Sam, their mother, and my girlfriend. I now have another 21 days to go. A couple of beers at the airport and 5 Bloody Mary's on the flight home and I shouldn't be worried that it is 32 degrees colder than where I just left.

Posted Image

#2 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:17 PM

Yeah, I've wondered what's up with the ferry pier. I particularly like the part where you go upstairs in order to go downstairs to get on the ferry...

Another favorite is watching the crew carry bags past their owners in order to put them on the carousel so the owners can carry them back past the crew.

The Playa del Carmen ferry pier is one of the few things I prefer in PdC over what's on Cozumel.

#3 BronxJoe

BronxJoe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

Steve,
I have to hand it to you...You really know how to live.Thanks for all the photos & reports,your effort makes my day better.

#4 TnVol

TnVol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:43 AM

I particularly like the part where you go upstairs in order to go downstairs to get on the ferry...
I understand that they had planned to use the airline style bridges on the top floor for ferry boarding. Apparently the bridges are in working order....but Cozumel officials forgot one thing....they did not check they they match up with the ferries. They do not. So, downstairs you go.

#5 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

This time you didn't have to go upstairs. That was so stupid and those loading ramps that are to high for the ferry, what were they thinking? The whole upstairs is a waste. Then you have the ferry schedule that doesn't make any sense. With 2 ferry companies it would make sense to run the ferries every hour and not skip some. A lot of flights leave Cancun around noon and to get there in time you have to take the 7:00 am ferry because there is no 8:00 am and the 9 o'clock is to late. The same thing happens coming back if you miss the 3:00 pm ferry you you have to wait 2 hours to catch the next one.

#6 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

"This time you didn't have to go upstairs. That was so stupid and those loading ramps that are to high for the ferry, what were they thinking? The whole upstairs is a waste. Then you have the ferry schedule that doesn't make any sense. With 2 ferry companies it would make sense to run the ferries every hour and not skip some. A lot of flights leave Cancun around noon and to get there in time you have to take the 7:00 am ferry because there is no 8:00 am and the 9 o'clock is to late. The same thing happens coming back if you miss the 3:00 pm ferry you you have to wait 2 hours to catch the next one."

That is marketing strategy; If one is waiting, one will spend money.
Cindy

#7 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:57 PM

Thanks for the great trip report and pictures. Wow, it is almost time for your next visit; lucky us. :D
Cindy

#8 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

That is marketing strategy; If one is waiting, one will spend money.

There really isn't much of anywhere to spend money at the ferry pier, which is a surprising oversight on their part.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users