• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Tori Tucker

Tori Tucker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

MarkC- If this is what you're asking, the Iberostar is the more expensive AI, and La Casona Real is the cheaper non AI :)

#22 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:46 PM

I do like Mezcalitos (Camarones Mezcalitos = super yum), but it's definitely not a budget choice. On many trips Mezcalito's has been our biggest meal bill.

Yep - the Mezcalitos Margaritas add up at 750 pesos ($60 USD!) We had $36 in drinks, then spent ~$33 on fish n shrimp fajitas and the big shrimps! (dinner at Pepe's last season was roughly 75 bucks)...

MarkC- If this is what you're asking, the Iberostar is the more expensive AI, and La Casona Real is the cheaper non AI :)

I think it will depend on your desire to go out to eat every time or if you want the convenience of staying at the resort. I prefer having the resort as the 1st option and the offsite restaurants as a backup, but we do eat away from the AI alot.

too much good food on CZ not to.

MC
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#23 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:41 PM

Two other places you could consider (if you are looking at La Casona Real) are Suites Vima (in back of the museum) and Hotel Caribe (not villas caribe, the old days in, but the pink hotel on Calle 2 between avenues 15 and 20). Both are very basic, but have pools, nice grounds, good sized rooms, and minifridges. You can find info on Hotel Caribe in the "El Centro recs for 1 to 3 people" section of this website. You can google Suites Vima and find a website that a guest put up for them a few years ago. Both of them advertize their double rooms for closed to 50 per night right now but if you email them and mention that the CMC website has them at 35 to 40 per night (Caribe), and that their 'website' (Vima) also lists their rooms at 35 to 40, they most likely will honor those prices. Neither place speaks a lot of english but they will get back to you thru email. I stayed at Caribe and found it quite decent. I visited Vima and it looked very nice.

#24 mexcelia

mexcelia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, films, snorkeling, walking, swimming, and photography

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:03 PM

Tori, I'm just glad you asked cuz now I have a lot of suggestions to follow too. I'm new here and this was great info from everyone, thanks! And, as far as calling Jaime, I have a cell, but I'm sure you can call him from any phone at whatever hotel you stay at........just wanted to mention that I, too, enjoy the Hotel Barracuda, which was already mentioned. They have reasonable rooms, a friendly staff, and a great view with a location fairly close to downtown. I often go there myself for breakfast so I can swim in their pool and ocean location. But, again, thanks for asking.......what a great group of folks we got down here, huh?

#25 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:35 PM

Tori, I'm heading down to Coz June 29, and staying at the Hotel La Casona Real on June 29 and July 7 (I'm going to at the Cozumel Hotel and Resort the other nights on a package deal). I've never stayed there before, but I heard good things. It does have AC and a pool -- both critical, in my opinion, for a stay in the Summer. Keep an eye out on these boards and I'll let you know what I think of it.

#26 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

Two more thoughts --if you really like Italian food, do try Rolandi's --I really like the Spaghetti Puttanesca, a very flavorful and savory sapghetti dish, and not much money -- and La Terraza. You can spend a lot on the fancy dishes at La Terraza, but you can also eat cheap, and the Pasta dishes are good and filling. Also, if you decide on La Casona Real as the Hotel, I'm a real "shopper" when it comes to travel, always looking for the best deal; I found that I could get a room at La Casona Real through Hotels.com for about $3 a night cheaper than that quoted on the website for the hotel. Once you pick a hotel, shop for the best deal. It may be through the hotel website, it may be via email, or it might be through a website like Hotels.com or Expedia.

#27 Tori Tucker

Tori Tucker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:10 PM

MarkC- lmao, I told my dad, if you want alcohol you can pay! I'm not spending my money on something I can't enjoy too :D And we too like the idea of at least having 'backup' food! He's just scared to try something new.

Dan- I actually considered the Caribe! I love the way the Vilma looks though. We're still considering other places like the Caribe.

Mexcelia- For sure!! Love it! And of the Barracuda- we love friendly staff. Because a few of you have mentioned it I'm considering!! Don't thank me for asking, thanks for answering!

Dan- Please do let me know how it works out for you!! I'm a bit envious, though that you get to go in less than 2 weeks! hahaha you sound like me. I tried to find it the cheapest I could and finally found $32!! Can't wait to try some restraunts. Keep me updated!

I can't wait to be there.. :)

#28 2cozlovers

2cozlovers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Diving, living the good life!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

I just booked the Hotel Flamingo for the $49.00 rate on the courtyard room with two double beds. If you book directly with them using their web site they include a full cooked to order breakfast. Menu has American style and Mexican egg breakfast. My daughter and I stayed there last year and felt safe and was very pleased with service. I agree with other post, you can eat fairly easy on $10.00 a person per meal. If breakfast is already paid, $40.00 will cover the meals. There are dozens eating places to chose from.

#29 Tori Tucker

Tori Tucker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:47 PM

Ahh that's good to know about having a breakfast when you book through them!! What dates are you going??

#30 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

On dive days, theres no time for breakfast... grab an OJ and a banana and haul to the dock :)
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#31 Tori Tucker

Tori Tucker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

I've never been diving!! Dunno why, probably cause my dad goes and he won't take me. haha

#32 2cozlovers

2cozlovers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Diving, living the good life!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

We will be there October 28 thru November 4. Hope the hurricane season stays calm. Heat should be abated. I really enjoy this time of the year on the island. Wife reminded me this will Halloween. Never been there during Halloween. Be interesting to hear how this is celebrated.

#33 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:06 AM

We will be there October 28 thru November 4. Hope the hurricane season stays calm. Heat should be abated. I really enjoy this time of the year on the island. Wife reminded me this will Halloween. Never been there during Halloween. Be interesting to hear how this is celebrated.

I havent been that late in october, but you should be just fine weather wise. As far as halloween, Nov 2nd is dia de los muertos. google it.

#34 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

Actually, October is the worst month for hurricanes in this part of the world. Also one of the worse months for high humidity, rain and, if lots of rain per usual, lotsa mosquitos. My least favorite month to be here. It does have the advantage of being very very quiet, cheap prices, prolly cheap airfares in, service people delighted to see you. And if there is a hurricane, you are in no danger and will be well taken care of -- just inconvenienced. But it will make a great story later.

#35 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

i would agree on parts of that.

for cheap - i think the cheapest is now, while the charter flights are running. my original plan was to be on the island 10 days 5/25 - 6/3 but sun country was not flying there till the following week. price went down from 2500 to 1950.

for quiet - you're 100% right - cozumel is dead in october - and wonderful because of it.

for hurricanes - i've gone 2x in october w/o issue, i would be more worried about a hurricane hitting in aug/sept and ruining the october trip. buy trip insurance.

mosquitos - 2012 no matter where i've been has been the worst I can remember - cozumel and texas.

#36 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

With all due respect, Mark, I've lived here full time now for 10 years. The local wisdom is that October is THE month for hurricanes. Not September as further north in the Atlantic. Wilma was October. I believe Hugo was October. I can count a lot of near misses at that time of year as well. The ones that get us generally develop in the Bay of Honduras. Very different climatology influences than, say, Florida's east coast.

#37 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

With all due respect, Mark, I've lived here full time now for 10 years. The local wisdom is that October is THE month for hurricanes. Not September as further north in the Atlantic. Wilma was October. I believe Hugo was October. I can count a lot of near misses at that time of year as well. The ones that get us generally develop in the Bay of Honduras. Very different climatology influences than, say, Florida's east coast.

:thumbs up:

#38 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:18 PM

I have had over 22 years of living here, and have been here for every tropical depression, every tropical storm and every hurricane since 1990....., I just did a named storm count for the Western Caribbean, going back to 1960, Septembers have had 30 storms,(didn't count Opal which casued massive flooding here before she crossed into the southern gulf and becoming a hurricane), Gilberto was a mid-September storm, Carla and Beulah were also September storms. Octobers have had 29 named storms, Wilma, Roxanne and Paula were all October storms....., Augusts have had 20 named storms, with Novembers having had 17 storms.

#39 Tori Tucker

Tori Tucker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:07 PM

That's one conversation to which I can't contribute :D

#40 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:41 AM

I guess someone didn't like my comical birthday posting.... and me the only one here wishing Deb a Happy Birthday....

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users