7 replies to this topic

#1 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:18 AM

Estimados seguidores, ¡debemos retirar la imagen en la cual estan tocando unas estrellas de mar dentro del agua cómo una forma de promocion de Cozumel?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/questions/10151021365906064/

Cozumel Diving

#2 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:31 PM

Did the poll, but it was difficult because I'm really of two minds about this.

One one hand, I'm opposed to teaching people who may be potential snorkelers or divers that it's OK to handle wildlife at all.

On the other hand, echinoderms are tough and plentiful. Many aquaria have touch tanks specifically to help people become more enthusiastic about marine life, and sea stars are the most common animals in those tanks.

Hoping that such an activity would be supervised and educational, I ended up voting Si.

#3 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:24 PM

Just FYI. The poll was forewarded to me via Facebook from the new director of the HS. I think the idea is that we spend all day on a boat telling people to not touch anything and this picture specifically shows people moving and handling starfish. If you get on FB there are several groups interested in the poll.

My personal opinion on sea-life is that is capable of far more interaction than what most people would think. However a few islanders touching something is one thing and having the stress of thousands of tourists wanting to touch things is something else altogether.

Cozumel Diving

#4 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

I'm not an expert diver, marine advocate, etc, etc. My gut tells me to look with my eyes, not with my hands. If it is a touch tank at an aquarium or exhibit, fine. But out in the "wild" I think that the sea life should be left alone. We are visiting their world. I've seen star fish being taken back to tables to show friends, I've seen people flip the star fish over and swim off... Where do you draw the line, ok to touch but not harass? What's the difference?

#5 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth Erin.

#6 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:07 PM

It is harassment to hug a turtle? Tell me you don't want to hug one too.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#7 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

i dont touch anything, but turtles and groupers really test me... :D
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#8 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:30 PM

My problem is that if the "locals" do it then all the tourons will follow suit and that will have a profound effect. Now that they have all the day snorkel trips in Akumal the bay and its creatures are being loved to death.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users