20 replies to this topic

#1 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

I've posted my subjective guide to Cozumel food at Dining - Casa Suzana and could use your help. It's a bit different from some other guides in that it's categorized by meal in an attempt to answer the question "where could we go for breakfast [or lunch or supper]" rather than sorted by price or location. Thus, there are multiple lists in which some restaurants appear more than once.

Since this is my personal listing of places I can recommend, I'm not necessarily going to add anything, though it's quite possible I've left out someplace I shouldn't have. I won't add any place I haven't eaten or liked. For example, I've never been to Prima so can't list it. My wife's been to Sorrisi but thought it overpriced and unimpressive, so I can't list it.

What I could definitely use is criticism and accuracy-checking of what is there.

It's quite likely that I've gotten something terribly wrong in the Food Terms / Local Cuisine section, in which case I'd love to know it. ("Trompita" does refer to lips when it comes to tacos de cabeza, right?)

Since my wife and I both seem to have lost the addresses and phone numbers for El Coctelito, Hanal-Ki, and La Sirenita, it would be most appreciated if anyone who knows could tell me.

#2 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

What a great list of restaurants! Nice variety as well. There is only one that I would add, and if you haven't been I highly recommend it. Buccano's, at the old Cozumel Caribe Hotel on the north end, has been serving a nice breakfast and lunch for many years. However, in January, they added an exquisite dinner service. It is upper end with amazing specials each week in addition to their incredible menu items. Inez, the chef/owner, is incredible.

In case you can't tell, we are big fans of the restaurant and, in fact, go every weekend.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#3 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

What a great list of restaurants! Nice variety as well. There is only one that I would add, and if you haven't been I highly recommend it. Buccano's, at the old Cozumel Caribe Hotel on the north end, has been serving a nice breakfast and lunch for many years. However, in January, they added an exquisite dinner service. It is upper end with amazing specials each week in addition to their incredible menu items. Inez, the chef/owner, is incredible.

In case you can't tell, we are big fans of the restaurant and, in fact, go every weekend.

We plan to go to Buccano's the next time we're on the island, but I haven't ever been there.

#4 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:05 PM

OK, I've located an address and phone number for el Coctelito on 20a Av. Sur between Calle 17 & 19 Sur and an address for la Sirenita on Coldwell at Calle 1 Sur and have updated my list accordingly.

I'm pretty sure that Hanal Ki is across from the Bomberos on Juarez, but even though they have a website there is absolutely no useful information there. There's what looks like a phone number but it has too many digits.

If anyone can supply phone numbers for la Sirenita and Hanal Ki I'd be most grateful.

#5 cozdude

cozdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:rock & ice climbing, mountaineering, snowboarding, diving, mountain biking, mixed martial arts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:51 AM

Good lists!

#6 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

Parrilla Mission is no longer open in the mornings........, CASA MISSION, 55 Avenida entre Avenida Juárez y calle 1º is now serving breakfast using the same menu.

#7 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

Parrilla Mission is no longer open in the mornings........, CASA MISSION, 55 Avenida entre Avenida Juárez y calle 1º is now serving breakfast using the same menu.

Interesting, and too bad. When a place like Parrilla Mission can't support breakfast, you know things are getting tight.

We used to love going to Parrilla Mission Sur because it was halfway to the Caleta. We could get a great breakfast, watch the waves, and easily make it to our boat in time for diving. They weren't open long, and Paprika is now in that location.

Thanks for the update.

#8 uriggin

uriggin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

great list...Thanks!!!
there is a great little Italian Place for lunch on 15th or 20th Ave and either 4th or 2nd Calle N. It's become one of my faves and it's on my faves list together with Kinta and El Cameron Dorados:-)
I'll see if I can find a more accurate address. That marvel is worth going to

#9 uriggin

uriggin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

Ok, promised better accuracy for the location of my fave lunch place.

It is called Cucina Italiana and is located on Ave 15 on corner of Calle 6 N

After I intro'd friend to it, they keep asking me...when are we going back there...I want to go there..lets go to the great italian lunch place...

#10 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:20 PM

Ok, promised better accuracy for the location of my fave lunch place.

Thanks for the info. I may try it, but I can't add it to my list since I've never been there.

Still looking for phone numbers for Hanal Ki and La Sirenita.

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

Is the word "supper" a regional term or is "dinner" for the evening meal a more traditionally term used?

What is the origins of the term "supper" or "dinner" for that matter.

Just wondering, and always interested.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#12 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

"Dinner" traditionally means the main (largest and most formal) meal of the day, irrespective of time. In some parts of the English-speaking world, "dinner" is still the mid-day meal, which is an older meaning of the word. Originally it referred to the first (large) meal of the day and comes from Old French (ca 1300) disner, meaning "breakfast", from the stem of Gallo-Romance desjunare ("to break one's fast"), from Latin dis- ("undo") + Late Latin ieiunare ("to fast"), from Latin ieiunus ("fasting, hungry"). The Spanish "desayuno" has the same derivation

"Supper" is always in the evening, whether it's a big meal or not. It's derived from the French "souper", referring to soup. In cultures that use "dinner" for a large midday meal, it means, well... supper. It can also refer to an informal, family evening meal as opposed to a fancy-pants "dinner". Sometimes it means a late-evening snack (for example, after "tea" where that's used to refer to the main evening meal).

I use "supper" for the name of the evening meal since that's closest to what Cozumel restaurants open at night are about and because there's no ambiguity about whether "dinner" is in the middle of the day or not. Similarly, I use "lunch" for the midday meal so there's no ambiguity about what time of day those places are open.

#13 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:27 PM

Thanks...I never would have known.

I remember quite well my Gram calling the farm hands in with a bell screaming at the top of her lungs "supper"

I also remember in the states that high end "dining" was to be found at "Supper Clubs"

I don't know what they call it here, but I have always served, and eat dinner. I'm happy with that :D

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#14 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

Well, what about the lyrics to Old Dan Tucker?

As in "Old Dan Tucker's a fine old man. Washed his face in a fryin' pan. etc."

specifically re the line: "Supper's all over but dinner's a cookin'. And old Dan Tucker just stands there a lookin'" which suggests that supper, at least in the south, is earlier in the day than dinner??

#15 Agnes62

Agnes62

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

I live in Texas - and my boyfriend (57 yrs) always calls lunch "dinner". When I was young, we would go to Arkansas to visit my grandparents and they always had dinner at noon (big meal)and then supper (sandwiches,etc.) in the evening. So, as far as I am accustomed, in the South many have dinner in the day and supper at night. I have lunch and dinner, however.

#16 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:18 PM

Well, what about the lyrics to Old Dan Tucker?

As in "Old Dan Tucker's a fine old man. Washed his face in a fryin' pan. etc."

specifically re the line: "Supper's all over but dinner's a cookin'. And old Dan Tucker just stands there a lookin'" which suggests that supper, at least in the south, is earlier in the day than dinner??

Many of the lyrics are nonsense. This is an example of that.

#17 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:25 AM

I think the tune is a real toe tapper. Life should not always be about being serious.

I have enough serious in my real life, and at times need levity. This is one of those times :P

Anonymous

#18 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

mstevens, I´m not going to debate the "pro and cons" of FACEBOOK here, nor do I want it debated here....., but a large number the better restaurants here in Mexico have FB pages...., I use FB to contact restaurants, about specials, upcoming events and to make reservations. I use it in Cancun, Merida and here in Cozumel(most are on your list), in over a year I have had no privacy issues..... from the the FB pages you can get the restaurant's webpages and contact info.

#19 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:35 AM

from the the FB pages you can get the restaurant's webpages and contact info.

True. Or you can get them many other places, including my website. Unfortunately, neither La Sirenita nor Hanal Ki has a FB page. Hanal Ki does have a website, but apart from some photos and broken links, there's nothing on it (including contact information nor even address).

#20 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

Tacos de labios(lips)...., trompita is sometimes used to refer to a pigs snout(in some areas it could be used to refer to pig lips) The word trompito can refer to the gyro used for taco de pastor.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users