• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 alma

alma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:15 AM

I think we may finally take the trip to Isla Mujeres to see the whale sharks. Can anyone recommend a good tour company to book the excursion or should we just travel to Isla Mujeres on our own and book there? Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

My husband and a few friends did that yesterday and absolutely loved it. I'll get the contact information for you when they get back from diving this afternoon. They took the ferry to playa and bus to Cancun.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#3 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

I think you'll probably need to go much closer to Isla Holbox than Isla Mujeres to see the whale sharks.

Some years ago we went with an outfit out of Cancun called Solo Buceo. They had a cigarette boat that made the trip much quicker than it would have been in a panga or fishing boat.

#4 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

From Isla Mujeres they usually go past Isla Blanca and Isla Contoy and some where in between Isla Contoy and Holbox

#5 alma

alma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

Kandy: This sounds exactly like what I had in mind. I would greatly appreciate the contact info if you can provide it. Thanks so much.

#6 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

Check out the archives, we have done both Holbox and Isla Mujeres whale shark tours. I highly recommend taking the small plane (Aerosabb) rather than ferry,bus, etc. Not expensive, and so quick to get there and back! Make sure you bring bug spray!

Holbox waters are green and somewhat cloudy, Isla has clearer blue water, both are memorable. You can book any number of tours online.

#7 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

Alma:

Sorry I didn't get the info sooner, but here it is.

Whale Shark info...They spoke to Jorge who speaks perfect Englishhttp://www.scorpiodivers.com/

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#8 alma

alma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

Thanks Kandy!

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

think I would fly over instead of spending at least 6-7 hours in transit back and forth, and an hour or so in the water. Just the ferry costs, and taxi...flying I think might be a better deal.

If nothing else, your not wasting your time in transit.

The site that was posted says they have 10 boats with 10 people each on board...that's a lot of people, plus the other vendors with their guests...

How many people are there really in the water at one given time?

I'd consider do this, but not with a mob.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#10 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

Is there one by plane that does Isla Mujeres?

The ferry route would be like minimum 3 hrs each way with the ferry and dive and boat right?

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

Dawn B has done this trip via air and swam with the whale sharks, perhaps she can enlighten us to how, and what the cost was.

As she she before, it was fast, priced right.

Perhaps I am just too impatient to get to the objective of the journey.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#12 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:24 PM

There was a thread on whalesharks somewhere in the archives. Flying on Aerosaab takes about 30 minutes to Isla, around an hour to Holbox as I recall. If you have a group of 5, am thinking the price was around $350 pp for everything, flight, boat, drinks and snacks, and the whale sharks. We were also taken to a lovely area for additional snorkeling, and toured Isla in a golf cart. There are many tours, I don't remember which one we took, but a quick Google will probably be enough. They all should be pretty good, look for one with air included. Both our trips had only the 5 of us on board.

The whale shark boats are in communication with each other, and when one boat spots the sharks, they radio the other tour groups and everyone shares. There may be dozens of sharks. Each boat lets only 2 people at a time into the water.

This is a must see!

#13 bobfmdc

bobfmdc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:23 PM

I recommend going to Isla Mujeres and engaging a tour boat from there. The most recent cost I have seen quoted is about $125 pp. If you go from Cancun or Playa del Carmen, the cost may be $200pp or higher. The larger tour companies get together and fix prices, so you tend to see a non-negotiable price if you book through them. The thing to remember about the larger tour operators is that they are only middlemen--they hire transportation and put you on a boat owned and operated by independent individuals.

One tour company to avoid is Ocean Tours of Playa. They probably operate out of Cancun also. Our dive guide in Cozumel made arrangements for 8 of us to go with them at the end of July 2012. Our boat trip with the independent boat operator was fine, but when we got back, the Ocean Tours representative kept us sitting in our van for an hour in the sun while he sold t-shirts and souvenirs to other tourists. Two from our group asked him to leave but he blew us off. We missed our 6pm ferry back to Cozumel and lost another hour waiting for the 7pm boat back to Cozumel.

Worse yet, two of us filed negative reviews with TripAdvisor and then started getting harassing emails from one of the company principals. He fabricated a story for TripAdvisor and they took our negative reviews off. Pretty disgusting when a review site sells out to the merchants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users