finding tradesmen

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Tomas

Tomas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, travel, books, food, culture, people, fish, art, the world.

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:33 AM

We're looking for some recommendations on the following:
electricians
plumbers
carpenters
painters
maids, house cleaners

Any info would be very helpful!
I'm a fish!

#2 hverde

hverde

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, biking, music, running, my kids

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:05 AM

Perhaps my husband, Victor Hernandez-Verde can help you out. Victor is an excellent carpenter and handyman. He is a Mexico City native who has also worked in the U.S. for 12 years, building and remodeling homes and commercial businesses. Victor is fluent in English and Spanish. He would be glad to provide references. Contact him at (987)117-1187 or verdemata@msn.com.

We are relatively new to Cozumel, but I am sure the folks on this forum will give you some great recommendations. Not sure if you've seen it - but an article by Carey, Building on Cozumel, has outstanding info and advice. Here is the link:
http://www.cozumelmy...ingArticles.htm

#3 Tomas

Tomas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, travel, books, food, culture, people, fish, art, the world.

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:35 AM

Thank you very much! We will keep your husband's contact info. We are in the process of closing on a house there and will most likely make several work trips down this year, probably starting around June sometime.Thanks again!
I'm a fish!

#4 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:46 AM

I have a "GO To Guy" who I depend on for everything. He is like a facilitator and gets me the lowest prices and good work. A friend used him to have a second story with 2 bedrooms and baths, patio, tile, everuthing completed beautifully and it was 28,000. I used him for a new bathroom and kitchen. His wife cleans houses by word of mouth and everyone loves her. I call on him for everything, including flat tires and mexhanical problems. He gets me the needed help quickly, cheaply, and is dependable. You can call me at cell 116-7440 and I can give you his phone if you would like.

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:20 AM

Electrical/Plumbing:

Both Paula (Island Girl) and I highly recommend Mario Puc Pol for electrical and plumbing needs. He is a Mayan who speaks excellent English. He charges very fairly. And he uses US electrical and plumbing code standards. If you have not lived here long you have no idea how uncommon it is to find an electrician in particular who builds to US code. Most don't even bother to color code their wiring. I have seen more electrical disasters on this island than I care to name. If you don't believe me, take a look at the hair-brained exterior jim-cracky wiring you can see on pretty much any given block in San Migue. It's ludicrous at best a fire hazard and extreme waste of power at the worst.

Go with Mario for that and for the plumbing. he can be reached on his cellphone at: 044 987 112 4353. I would never use anyone else.

Carpenters -- best I know of on the island is Jeff Ferguson, an American from Seattle. He ain't cheap but he builds really nice stuff and its custom. The hand rubbed finishes he does on pine to make it look like other wood would cost a fortune in the states and saves a pretty penny. He can be reached at: 044 987 871-9132

Now, I should say both of these guys are, in my opinion, THE BEST. However, plan to have some flexibility in your schedule. They take emergencies first and as they arrive and they also like to take their time and chat with clients as they move through their busy days. This tends to throw their schedules off. In short, don't expect either of these guys to necessarily show up exactly when they say they're going to. You may have to call once or twice and remind them -- especially if they have something urgent arise. Squeaking wheel gets oiled with these gentlemen. But at least when they do come, you can rest assured you are in very good hands.

Painters
-- I have a union painter I love but he doesn't have a cellphone. With painters, be very careful. Most do not know the meaning of a drop cloth. If you thinking I'm kidding, I'm not. Hire someone off the street or not personally rec'd as being very tidy and you better plan to stand over them the whole time they're working or the mess will end up being more trouble than painting it yourself. (Do I sound like I speak from hard experience? Ja Ja). Also buy your own drop cloths, cubiertos and have plenty available -- and see that they're used and used properly.

Maids/Housekeepers
-- you're up the tree without a ladder on that one. Very difficult to find good or reliable house-cleaning help. I've always thought someone could do well running a maid service here but when you consider all the problems that might entail, I can see why, to my knowledge, no one has done this to date or for long at any rate. Maybe someone will come on here with a rec but I wouldn't hold my breath. The good ones are a dying breed and much prized.

#6 luvfish

luvfish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:45 PM

tom----I OWN A HOUSE HERE IN COZUMEL AND HAVE A PROPERTY MGR PERSON (NOT A COMPANY) SO HE IS VERY VERY RESONABLE. HE HAS A US NUMBER AT HIS HOUSE HERE IN COZUMEL IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO CALL HIM HIS NAME IS JIM. HERE IS HIS NUMBER 281- 914-4169. HE CAN FOR SURE HELP YOU WITH ALL KINDS OF THINGS, AS HE HAS BEEN HERE FOR 21 YRS. HE SPEAKES SPANISH FLUENTLY AND HAS GREAT CONNECTIONS. YOU MIGHT WANT TO MEET HIM ON YOUR NEXT VISIT. I KNOW OF AT LEAST 6 OTHER PROPERTYS HE MANAGES FOR AMERICANS AND COMES HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.HE LIVES IN CORPUS CRISTI. I HAVE A MAID THAT IS THROUGH HIM THAT IS VERY RELIABLE AND HAS HAD KEYS TO MY HOUSE FOR SEVERAL YRS NOW.SHE HAS HER OWN SET OF KEYS TO MY PLACE AS I GO BACK AND FORTH TO THE U.S AND WANT MY HOUSE CLEAN WHEN I ARRIVE.PLEASE CONTACT HIM!!!!!

#7 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:05 PM

Pam posted on here not long ago that her housekeeper is very good and would like more houses to do. You might search to find her post. I think her ID here is pjgoris.

I found it.... it's the "Cleaning Lady" thread in this (Local Talk) forum. Just scroll down.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:18 AM

tom----I OWN A HOUSE HERE IN COZUMEL

First of all, please don't use all caps, it sounds like you are shouting. Secondly, it would be helpful if you would add two pieces of information that would be useful to people in assessing your recommendations. Because in this neck of the woods, first-hand experience is everything. In fact, that's a good idea for anyone posting advice about living on Cozumel. Give your 'credentials' if you will. I mention often than I've lived here for 10 years and built two houses, for example.

Things people like to know about others who are giving advice on important matters like builders, property managers, tradesmen, etc. include:

#1. How long have you owned your home here?

#2. How often to you come down per year?

#3. If you live here full-time, how long have you lived here?

Also the fact that a property manager is really cheap makes me want to run like the tradewinds in the other direction. You really do get what you pay for down here. If they're charging too little, they're quite likely either doing a lazy, crummy job or they're stealing people blind who don't know what to look for.

CozyKelly would be an excellent manager if you can get her. And there's a lovely couple that manage some local places and look to be doing a very reputable job as far as I can tell. Can anyone remember who I'm thinking of? One of their properties is Olivia's Casa Olivia.

#9 dos margaritas

dos margaritas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:05 AM

I believe that Casa Olivia is managed by Laurie and Jim Anderson and Felipe (don't know his last name) at Cozumel Rental Homes - www.cozumelrentalhomes.com. They look after our house and do a wonderful job. They really do work hard. They hired Mario to do the electrical and plumbing work on our house and he was outstanding. The ladies they send to clean the house do a great job as does the gardener, Demetri. We've been very satisfied!

#10 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:17 PM

I will also confirm that Laurie and Jim Anderson do an excellent job with property management on the island. I believe they have lived on the island for at least a half dozen years now. I rented a home through them during my recent visit to the island. They are dependable and trustworthy, and their son came down to the house personally as I was not having luck with my wireless, and he spent about an hour working on it so I was able to have internet service. They responded to any requests quickly and efficiently. As well, Felipe, is an absolute gentleman and knows "the score" and I would not hesitate to recommend them.

Valli

#11 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:49 PM

Yes, Laurie and Jim Anderson were the couple I was thinking of.

#12 Tomas

Tomas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:15 AM

Wow! Thanks for all these responses! We appreciate everyone's responses on all our topics so far. We are of course very excited about having a place down there. We will most likely be down to sign some paperwork in early June and hope to meet lots of folks then that we've been referred to for a varitey of things. Many thanks and I'll be asking many more questions, I'm sure.
I'm a fish!

#13 Xuxan

Xuxan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Golfing; scuba diving -- enjoy capturing the dives on video and stitch it into film; horseback riding; makes my day when I discovered good restaurants that served good food at a good price; loves spicy food; enjoys cooking (when in the mood!); travel.

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:25 AM

Painters [/b]-- I have a union painter I love but he doesn't have a cellphone. With painters, be very careful. Most do not know the meaning of a drop cloth. If you thinking I'm kidding, I'm not. Hire someone off the street or not personally rec'd as being very tidy and you better plan to stand over them the whole time they're working or the mess will end up being more trouble than painting it yourself. (Do I sound like I speak from hard experience? Ja Ja). Also buy your own drop cloths, cubiertos and have plenty available -- and see that they're used and used properly.

Carey, we looking for a painter. Any suggestions how to contact the painter you mentioned?

#14 Xuxan

Xuxan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Golfing; scuba diving -- enjoy capturing the dives on video and stitch it into film; horseback riding; makes my day when I discovered good restaurants that served good food at a good price; loves spicy food; enjoys cooking (when in the mood!); travel.

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:33 AM

We're looking for painter... without a cell phone, how do we get in touch with him?

#15 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:08 AM

My future mom-in-law worked as a housekeeper/maid for many many years for one of the first ex-pats on the island until he passed recently. She is extremely loyal, honest and hardworking; a local lady who speaks basic English. I don't want to post her name or phone number on public forum. If you are interested, fire an email my way or PM me.

#16 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:36 PM

I have an excellent painter. He does not have a phone. If you want I can put you in touch with him. He doesn't speak English, but his price is lower than most painters and he is very good about drop cloths and clean up. My wife has a group of guys from when she did property management. Electricians, plumbers...all excellent. I don't check this thread often. If you want to get in touch either PM or call me.

Cozumel Diving

#17 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:58 PM

Cary, your comment about drop cloths made me laugh... I would like to add MASKING TAPE to that... OMG I can't believe the messy paint jobs I've observed where a little masking tape would have made all the difference. Do they not have blue tape available in Mexico? Maybe I could make my fortune by importing it... :D

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#18 Jim912

Jim912

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, teaching scuba and working on our house.

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:25 AM

Cary's comment is exactly right. About five years ago as we were refinishing the outside of our house I had a bunch of cement work done and the guys were painting everything by hand. I specifically made them put down drop cloths and tape off every window and door. They were prepared to start painting with everything exposed.

It took several days to finish and when I came in one day they were all gone. The paint brushes and rollers were in the buckets sitting in the sun. Nothing had been washed up. These guys were using my materials so they didn't bother to clean it up when they finished. Luckily I was able to clean up most of the stuff. Lesson learned.

#19 Jim912

Jim912

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, teaching scuba and working on our house.

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:36 AM

We do have an excellent man that has worked with us for the past couple of years on additions and rennovations and does very good work. Electrical, plumbing, concrete and tile. He doesn't do all the work himself. He has a number of men that work for him and depending on what needs to be done he brings in the right guy. His name is Martin and his number is 987-564-2170.

We have two ladies that come in once a week and clean our house. They do very good work and the price is reasonable. I will be glad to send you their contact information if you drop me a note.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users