31 replies to this topic

#21 teacher

teacher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:teaching,reading, cooking, movies, photography, marine biology

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

I will put it simply. What are the physical signs of global warming that are occuring around the world? Indication means sign. What are the signs pointing to global warming? Warming of the atmosphere or of the earth?
Thanks!

#22 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

I am aware that indication means sign that was what I had said. So I repeat the sign that the earth is warming is just that: the earth is warming. The sign of global warming is just that: the globe is warming. The signs are rising temperatures around the world.

If you are meaning to dispute that temperatures are rising or that it is caused by man than that is a different question. So I am not really sure what you are asking. I realize my first language is not english but I am pretty sure what indication and sign mean.

Warming is the sign the globe is warming. Warming is the sign the atmosphere or earth is warming.

If you have a fever you check your temperature. Temperature is the indication that you have an elevated temperature. Of course there can be other indications. But the best way to see if you have an elavated temp is to check to see if you have an elevated temp.

I am assuming you are asking something different? There is almost no debate among experts that the earth is warming. And a few deny that it is manmade. But that is an extremely small percentage amongst global scientists and the vast majority of earth scientists agree as well that global warming is real and manmade. Among the small minority of scientists , 3%, the majority of their studies are funded by the petrochemical companies.

#23 teacher

teacher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

As with any earth process, such as warming of the earth, there are signs that it is happening. If the earth is warming how do we know? Did we take its temperature with a large thermometer? How do we specifically know it is warming? I am simply asking a question of a person who seems to know what she is talking about. I am looking for clarification on the subject and you seem to know a lot about it. Is the earth warming or is the atmosphere warming? I am just curious. Why do you get so defensive? I have not expressed an opinion one way or the other about global warming.
Thanks!

#24 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

totally staying out of this one! :)
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#25 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

Sorry if I did not make myself clear. I am not being defensive. I am just trying to clearly understand your question. English is not my first language and I sometimes misunderstand things. Sorry if I have implied that I was in any way defensive about your questions or responses. As I was saying the sign that the earth is warming is just that: that it is warming. There are a small percentage of experts that deny it has been warming. And a slightly higher number that deny it is manmade, around 3%. I am by no means any expert on the subject and it is not in my field of study. So please do not take any offense in my response none was ever meant. There are many ways scientists have used to go back and record the earths temperatures. It would take some time to go into any depth on that here. But if interested I could certainly attempt in another thread. But basically just to mention a few are tree rings, ice core samples, coral skeletons and boring deep into the earths crust. That is to name a few off the top of my head. But like I said this is not an area of any expertise for me. I would just say that 97% to 99% of climate scientists agree the earth is warming and over 90% agree it is manmade.

Again sorry for any confusion in my reply. That happens with me at times being that my english is far from perfect.

The effect of global warming on the spread of mosquito born disease is from increased rainfall. As temperatures rise water will evaporate at a higher rate putting more moisture in the atmosphere. This was the main point I was trying to make.

#26 teacher

teacher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

Signs that the earth is warming are the polar ice caps melting, shelving, etc. It is my understanding that this a normal cycle of events. Climatology is a young science due to the fact that for most of the life of the earth humans have had no records of the temperatures of the earth or its atmosphere. Simply said, we have no comparison to past events of the earth except for empirical geological evidence which supports the cyclical nature of warming and cooling. I was wondering if there is any evidence you know of that supports the THEORY of global warming. This is an interest of mine and I am always willing to hear the opinions of others.
Thanks!

#27 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

I would like to suggest that we stay on topic. Dengue fever and the transmission are a very big concern here. The more we share, and learn about how to deal with, and protect ourselves from the transmission will help us in not becoming a victim of this virus.

It's only a suggestion.

You may want to start a new thread, if that is of interest to you.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#28 teacher

teacher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

I was trying to get around to the subject of Dengue Fever by asking about global warming and how it has anything to do with Dengue. I tried to ask a question about global warming but never got a straight answer. I give up. No worries as I am done. Thanks Coz2wonder but it is not worth the headache. :-)
Thanks!

#29 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:05 PM

Sorry I was not really giving much of an opinion. Just the results of my limited research. But it is fairly universally accepted by the scientific community that the earth has been warming. Yes polar ice caps melt and it is cyclical, those are the results of these cycles. We can compare modern day temperatures with those going back millions of years through coral skeletons samples, ice core samples, tree ring sample and deep core samples taken from the earths crust. And you are absolutely correct the earth has always gone through cycles. And scientists have measured those cycles going back millions of years and have accounted for them. But the most conclusive evidence of global warming is what they have called the "hockey stick" effect. Taking into account all the bumps and drops with cycles measuring temps over millions of years it has been in recent history that the charts took off dramatically. Showing a radical surge in the earths temperature correlating to the increase in emissions of green house gases.

As I mentioned earlier global warming has affected the spread of these diseases due to increased rainfalls in these prone areas caused by increased moisture in the atmosphere from increased rates of evaporation. Sorry again if I did not explain myself very well and for not fully understanding your question. I was just trying to clarify what you were asking. When it was finally clear I gave you my best answer as to how scientists have measured temps over millions of years. These are listed above and are in a previous post. It is not a giant thermometer but good science. My fault for not initially getting what you were asking. Sorry it happens with me when I am corresponding in English. And sorry I was trying my best to understand your question and to give you an answer. But I am not an expert. My mistake. But I did answer you as to the relationship of Global warming to Dengue, and how scientists measure temperatures. Not sure what other answers you were looking for. I answered you the best I could. Sorry if I was not detailed enough in my answer. But I am no expert.

I fully agree anything further on this topic should be discussed in another thread.

#30 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

Morenita,

I think you are stepping in a debate. Perhaps you are not aware there are a fair number of people who are not buying into global warming. There are clearly still two sides in the debate. In the eyes of many it is not settled.

Here is a nice green article about it exists.

And here is a nice article about the scientists at the heart of global warming being dishonest.

I'm not taking a side.

I do like the idea of handsome, horny, sterile male aedes aegypti showing up and beating up and kicking sand in the face of the regular male aedes aegypti and taking all their women and then failing to produce. :o

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#31 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

I agree it is a debate and it should continue in a separate thread. But I will point out that the scientists who disagree are not "many". They account for somewhere between 1% to 3%. It is a very small minority. And most are funded by the petrochemical companies ( oil). And regarding those that were supposedly "dishonest" well that has been debunked quite some time ago. I could refer to many articles from the scientists themselves and those that investigated it. This has been completely discredited. What was revealed in these stolen emails was a candid discussion of some issues. But when investigators examined the thousands of emails it was clear that there was a consensus in the research. The earth is warming and greenhouse gases are the cause. But it was widely misrepresented in the right wing media. Interestingly the final report of the investigation into this, which cleared the scientists of any dishonesty, never made it onto Fox News or other conservative news outlets. But that is typical because studies show the more you watch Fox the less informed you become. I could find the report and send it to you in a PM. But lets take this to another thread if we want to fully discuss it.

My fault for getting off topic here and I will try to stay on the subject of DENGUE and prevention. For any side topics we can start another thread. Since they are not really about Cozumel. But dengyue does impact us here.

And as always Chief I love the humor. Strapping laboratory created mosquitoes. The equivalent of the stepford wives in the male insect world. What a great idea. And no risk of those pesky unwanted pregnancies. And for the ones who are not proficient free divers maybe you could look into the developement of miniature rebreathers. Groupers beware.

#32 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

Groupers beware.

Posted Image
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users