• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel
    Travel
    Gardening
    Reading

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:30 PM

Anyone know the name of a rental complex with suites that have flower names? I have lost the link for this place! :(
As I remember it is within a few streets of the main drag, and on the north end of town. It has walls around it, and nice landscaping, but I don't think there was a pool. Does this place ring a bell with anyone?

Jennifer

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:02 AM

That would be Haciendas San Miguel. Very nice location. Haven't toured the rooms but it looks well-kept-up from the outside. http://www.haciendasanmiguel.com/

#3 jsmflake

jsmflake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
    Travel
    Gardening
    Reading

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:50 AM

Thanks Carey, that is exactly the place I was thinking about! I have re-added the link to my favorites. :D

Jennifer

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:24 PM

the outside is much better then the inside, so sorry to be negative.

It is not my intent to speak ill of any business, but I have first hand experience with this place, and fell that I need to speak up.

We had friends who stayed there, and refused to stay past their first night. They are not particular folks, and when I went into there "suite" it was not only a dump, it was nasty.

Not only did the hotel refuse to refund there money, they hotel manager stayed on the phone, speaking with her friends the whole time my friends where trying to check out.

They had rented a suite with a kitchen, dinning area, and bed...Holiday Inn would have been upscale compared to this place.

The noise from the trucks and scooters of people delivering or arriving for work at the Forum Shop was overwhelming.

The dirt that blows in from Melgar was another issue.

However, the garden is beautiful...

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:59 PM

It must have come under new management if that is the case because I remember it getting plenty of good reviews in the past. Admittedly somewhat distant past.

#6 jsmflake

jsmflake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
    Travel
    Gardening
    Reading

Posted 11 April 2010 - 03:45 PM

I love this forum!! :D From the pictures on the web-site, I never would have imagined this place to have any problems!
Thanks for the info Paula. My husband and I want to come next winter for the month of February, and hope to find a place to stay close in town, at least a reasonable walking distance, but also a place that will discount a month's stay.
Any suggestions or recommentations?

Jennifer

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 03:55 PM

believe me it pained me to make that post...I just hate making ugly posts like that.

If I have time, I will drive by, stop and take pictures...then if things have improved, I am more then HAPPY to post.

You might checked Villa Caribe. It used to be Days Inn. They do have efficiency apartments available It is on 11th, between 20 and 25.

You have time, and I was the one who made the negative comment, so give me a little time to see if things have changed, and see if the garden matches the rooms.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#8 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:28 PM

I had looked at Haciendas San Miguel for a long term rental. They will give no monthly discount, period. They were renting a few rooms long term (at full price) to jewelry store owners that were frequent visitors that wanted the convenience of the location and they could maintain their room and possessions for ease of travel. These were for people that might make five trips per month, staying 1-2 nights each trip.

The room that I saw was satisfactory for what I was considering and I was aware of the potential noise factor from the Forum on one side and don Nassim's zoo (peacocks) on the other. I was willing to pay extras for some convenience, but the bottom line was that it did not seem a good value. It was only a brief idea of possibility, the male manager was kind in asking to allow him to speak to the owner to see if he could offer me a good deal. The room I saw had the facilities I wanted (kitchen), the garden without a pool was a plus as was the location. I wasn't impressed for the value of the not discounted price for a monthly rate.

February is high season and a difficult month to negociate discounts. I believe Carnaval is late this year (March?), but you may have to walk farther or get multiple rentals of places that typically rent by the week. Costs are high in property management fees, plus the cost of electricity consumed if it is a hot year and air conditioning is used. You would have various options in more budget, economical places with more minimal services, but there is a gap in the number of in-between priced accommodations. There is a glut of high end and lower end, not much in the middle.

Places in el centro or close to downtown, might have a number of both positives and negatives on a block by block basis.

It is a step down to Villa Caribe, but that would be an example of a more distant, good value possibility. Friends moved there after a week at the Aguilar when they would not honor the rate they had been quoted for a three week stay to repeat customers. They felt the people wouldn't dare leave and they did after staying one week, The locations is more distant, but they extended their trip an extra week being satisfied with the Villa Caribe. One problem that can be encountered is that business and occupancy has been poor and too many people seem to not want to budge on discount prices for longer term rentals, they cling to hope that somehow empty rooms will magically fill and they can cover their losses. The Villa Caribe seemed very customer service oriented although minimal English is spoken, they aimed to please.

#9 ez_stop1

ez_stop1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:54 PM

I would try Hotel Flamingo. We stayed in the penthouse unit on our first visit to Cozumel years ago. The facilities were satisafactory, although, the owner was another story. However, time has a way of taking away unpleasant encounters, so.......give the Flamingo a try. It's very convenient and I would be willing to bet they would make you a deal for a long term rental. Since our stay, the place has undergone renovations and a new restaurant (I think). The food was excellent there on our trip. It's worth a shot.
http://www.hotelflam....com/index.html

#10 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:04 AM

Jeannie, the gal that made Jeannie's Waffle House on the waterfront a famous mainstay, is reputed to run the restaurant in the Flamingo Hotel at this point. If true, and it probably is, although I can't at this point personally confirm this information, the restaurant will be a solid bet. There are also many other good placees to eat in the immediately area -- both cheapos and expensivos.

#11 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:00 PM

It's on the other side of downtown, but I think Mi Casa en Cozumel is wonderful. It's a little B&B on Avenida 5 between 7 and 9. Easy walk to the plaza, nice restaurants closeby, and the rooms, management, and staff are wonderful. The rates are reasonable as well. www.micasaencozumel.com

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#12 jsmflake

jsmflake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
    Travel
    Gardening
    Reading

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:28 PM

Thanks for the replies. Carnival in March?? When will we be able to get exact dates for Carnival? That is one thing we really want to see, and have never had the opportunity to do because of my job. We will be doing alot of checking around for places, and realize we may have to raise our budget. So be it! We are so excited to come for a longer stay, we may be pushing the planning a little! :rolleyes:

Jennifer

#13 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:50 AM

I think I might have the perfect place for you and your husband for mid feb, through Carnival.

shoot me an email and I will be more then happy to share the details with you.

It is a perfect location, 15 and 10, with pool.

islandgirl@ecozumel.net

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users