#1 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

Has anyone every obtained the *real* taxi chart? I keep hearing they exist, but I never went to the taxi HQ and tried to get one with the zones and all. I have only ever seen the cruise ship pier ones....

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#2 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

Don't know how this works for you but I took this photo 1 week ago at paradise beach. It should be fairly accurate. You might be able to judge what other prices should be by the distance. I'll stop a taxi this week and see if I can get a copy or a photo.

Posted Image

#3 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for that Steve. I sorta thought there might be a zone maps so you could count the zones back and forth. I have heard it discussed for years, but never actually saw one. We are bringing 15 and renting three cars, so I figure I want to have something I can give the uninitiated if we have to throw the occasional taxi in.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#4 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

http://www.taxicozum...as/tarifas.html

I don't now how up to date this is.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#5 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:58 PM

Yea I have seen that one a couple time, the one from the cruise ships. Still not the fabled all inclusive taxi chart of song and legend.... :(

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#6 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

There is no longer a "real taxi rate sheet", at least nothing similar to what once existed. After the rate increase in December 2009, I made 6-8 trips to taxi headquarters. I actually talked to the "boss" three times. I heard various stories and excuses. Twice the boss instructed his secretary to get my email address and she would send me the "chart" once completed.

What once consisted of a double sided laminated page, I finally saw a notebook binder that drivers were carrying. I spent about 35-45 minutes with a driver trying to decipher and understand the contents. Local rates for various areas of town had no clear designations. There were zones that were $18 and $20 pesos which a bad black and white copy, you couldn't tell boundaries, they were simply illegible.

This past rate increase raised rates to hotels vs other destinations in the same area and distance. The glaring example would be the $60 fare to El Cantil or Cozumel Palace when the rate from the taxi sitio across the street would be $25. In theory, a round trip fare to/from Chedraui, merely crossing Melgar would be $120. Departing from the store taxi sitio to most any San Miguel destination would be $25. The first time I talked to the union boss, he said that they were concentrating on rate sheets for the hotels (and then cruise ship piers), rates that are always in dollars, but generally the peso rate is 10 to 1 whether the exchange rate is close to 11 to 1 or 14 plus.

I almost always use taxis from either sitios or one that I call for a pick up at a residence. The cost of a radio dispatched taxi was suppose to be $7, but without exception, the rate seems the same $25 as from any sitio. I usually pay $30 if service is decent or tip extra if extra service merits. You have drivers that work primarily tourist zones, fewer fares, but higher prices and then those taxistas that prefer to work local and have lots of fares for lower prices. Regardless, tourists are going to be charged higher fares to help subsidize local fares. There are lower prices to employees (I.D. required) traveling to and from work in hotels or in the cruise ship pier.

The system is functional, but often makes no cents nor sense. When I had to go to the airport early (airport rate is higher), I called for a taxi (extra charge) and it was still in the 11:00PM to 7:00AM rate. The driver had no idea what to charge, I reminded him of the triple extra fare aspect, so finally he said $30, I paid $50 and we were both happy. Long gone are the days when driving a taxi was a solid ticket to comfortable middle class. Come September and October, the drivers will be lined up and typically have two hour waits between fares. All the hotels and tourist destinations should have rate signs always priced in dollars. A simple rate sheet like I obtained in 2002, 1998 and 1995 from the union is no longer. It is now a notebook binder of many pages to cover any situation and destination. Rates for tourists will be set in dollars and you can negotiate the peso price, usually based on $10 pesos = $1 dollar. It does help to speak Spanish.

#7 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:13 AM

:(

Thanks Charles. That would explain, I guess, why no one has ever produced a copy of the 'holy grail' of taxi fare charts.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#8 bulsaros

bulsaros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Glasgow Rangers Football Club

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:34 AM

There is no consistency with taxi fares, when I flag down a taxi it's as if they look at you and decide if you are gullible to pay a higher fare or not, I could count on one hand the times I have paid the fare asked by the driver,my wife and I are quite consistent where we get the taxi we tend to walk a little out of whatever hotel we are staying at then get the taxi into town the same goes as we are leaving town and the price can fluctuate quite a bit depending on how far the hotel is away.
One time we stayed at the hotel villablanca and I think I got prices ranging from 5 bucks to 9 bucks for the same distance,I would say most of the drivers are fair and decent but there are a few ripoff merchants amongst them

#9 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:52 AM

We got offered 300 peso for a shortish trip in town. The wife gave him the crazy eye and jumped him in Spanish. He pulled the confused look and changed it to $30.

Since we don't use them very much at all, I just don't have a good grasp on fair vs. gullible.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#10 bulsaros

bulsaros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Glasgow Rangers Football Club

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:08 AM

when I stop a taxi I always ask how much before I get in and whatever he tells me I usually offer 2 or 3 bucks less sometimes they agree sometimes not but there is always another taxi coming behind who will take my offer, as I said you get to know the prices if you use them often enough and believe me the few will rip you off if they get the chance

#11 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

I'm going to have to take a taxi from Barracuda to Ventanas in October. Any idea what that ride might cost me?

Dono
It's those changes in latitudes!

#12 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

You mean eastside Ventanas?

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#13 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

Si. Next to Coconuts.

#14 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

if you use the current rate that they where changing from the Allegro to Central it was 180p's. Which is about 10 miles, give or take. Your hotel from Central is about 15 miles, so I would figure somewhere between $30-40 usd range. :(

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#15 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

Thanks Coz. My only stipulation for returning to Cozumel was NO DRIVING on our part. I just refuse. Sad after all the good times we've had over the years. I just tend to drink a little more than insurance policies allow which is ANY ALCOHOL WILL VOID YOUR INSURANCE and more than the police allow if stopped for a simple offense like a seatbelt violation which is NO TOLLERANCE. It was no car or back to Isla Mujeres for me. We did good compromising with the Barracuda and Ventanas al Mar; best of both worlds to us.

Dono

#16 Carol C

Carol C

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

That's why it makes sense to stay downtown. Most everything you'll want to do is walking distance. I would never rent a moped, and taxi's are too expensive, and most of the resort hotels are boring...no more of that for me! Btw, hope Cozumel fares well during this hurricane season. I now live in a hurricane-prone area...so my heart is with ya'll! P.S. Saludos a amigos Carey y Charles. Hasta Deciembre.

#17 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

If the a few taxi drivers are DISCRIMINATING against non-Mexicans, then that needs to be brought the to the Taxi Union in writing.

As to staying in town or out of town...it has NOTHING to do with a taxi fare...it's what is offer outside of the city...PEACE AND QUITE.

Different stokes for different folks.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#18 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

There are some who discriminate for sure. One day I took a taxi and the fare should have been 20 pesos. He told me it was 40 pesos and I questioned him and asked for the tarif sheet which he told me was for locals only. I told him I am a local and have lived here for 6 years, he then told me "NO, Mexican locals". I handed him 20 pesos and walked away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users