• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 la pulga

la pulga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:48 PM

my truck is getting a tune up so i have been taking a taxi to and from aldora pier for the past few days to go diving. i have been paying 25 pesos each way. today i handed the money to the driver and he tried to tell me that all foreigners have to pay more now...new rates. he wanted 40 pesos. same thing happened on the way home. i said that i lived here and that i have an fm2 and the ferry cards, etc. they both said it didn't matter. while it may not be fair, i understand the policy of charging more to those who aren't local, eg tourists, but i cannot accept that because i am not mexican, i am subject to a different rate schedule.

i wonder if the rule simply pertains to non-locals and that it was explained wrong to the drivers. in theory if they are discriminating against all non-mexicans, they should be asking for proof of citizenship from all passengers, ie the credential card or whatever it is called.

so, my question is...what can be done about this situation?

#2 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

Go talk with the jefe of the union. His office is upstairs at the taxista base on calle 2. I think he has evening hours, maybe try around 7:00PM.

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

Go talk with the jefe of the union. His office is upstairs at the taxista base on calle 2. I think he has evening hours, maybe try around 7:00PM.

Yah, that would be quicker. Other way is say: "veinte-cinco pesos a malecon, si?"--BEFORE you get in the cab. And if they give you some BS, tell them adios. You might have to do this a couple of times before they get the message.

On the way back from the waterfront, you prolly already know you have to get off Melgar to get the local price on a cab ride back into the hood.

The taxistas talk to each other, of course, and, as a gringo, you kinda stick out. Pay the exhorbo freight once and they'll all know you'll pay it every time. Take the hard line would be my advice unless you speak enough Spanish to deal with the Jefe at the union office as Charles suggests.

#4 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

Yikes! Do you remember the taxi numbers? Please go the Jefe and let us know his response.

#5 la pulga

la pulga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

Yikes! Do you remember the taxi numbers? Please go the Jefe and let us know his response.

no, i don't know the numbers. i don't think i was getting conned.
i was told there was a new rule for fares for foreigners. prior to yesterday's experience, i have never been asked to pay more than 25 pesos from melgar to my house or from my house to melgar. unless the jefe speaks english, my spanish isn't good enough. i will continue to give the normal 25 pesos and just walk away.

#6 Cozumel Rocks

Cozumel Rocks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Property Managers taking care of your home here on the island. We provide all administration, Housekeeping, Gardening, Pool Service, House Maintenance...and Concierge Services. Just tell us what you need!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

my truck is getting a tune up so i have been taking a taxi to and from aldora pier for the past few days to go diving. i have been paying 25 pesos each way. today i handed the money to the driver and he tried to tell me that all foreigners have to pay more now...new rates. he wanted 40 pesos. same thing happened on the way home. i said that i lived here and that i have an fm2 and the ferry cards, etc. they both said it didn't matter. while it may not be fair, i understand the policy of charging more to those who aren't local, eg tourists, but i cannot accept that because i am not mexican, i am subject to a different rate schedule.

i wonder if the rule simply pertains to non-locals and that it was explained wrong to the drivers. in theory if they are discriminating against all non-mexicans, they should be asking for proof of citizenship from all passengers, ie the credential card or whatever it is called.

so, my question is...what can be done about this situation?

Dislike
COZUMEL ROCKS Concierge and Property Management
www.cozumelconcierge.com
cozumelrocks@gmail.com

#7 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

Here's my question, which I've asked each and every time the taxi union has pulled some stunt like this or blockading busses full of travel agents or whatever else they come up with. THESE are the guys who are often giving the first impression of Cozumel. For cruisers, it's the last impression. For those staying on the island, they are the ongoing thorn in an otherwise perfect vacation. How is this good for tourism, which is the lifeblood of the island? I just don't get it!

Major dislike!Posted Image

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#8 J_CozDiver

J_CozDiver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

no, i don't know the numbers. i don't think i was getting conned.
i was told there was a new rule for fares for foreigners. prior to yesterday's experience, i have never been asked to pay more than 25 pesos from melgar to my house or from my house to melgar. unless the jefe speaks english, my spanish isn't good enough. i will continue to give the normal 25 pesos and just walk away.

I think one of the problems is you keep mentioning getting a taxi off of Melgar. I live right off Melgar and it I get into (or out) of a taxi on Melgar, unless I negotiate the rate before I get in, they will try to charge me the rate on the sheet. If you catch a cab off of Melgar (e.g., on 30th, 65th, etc. ) or pick one up by the taxi stand next to Chedraui the rate will be 25 pesos. (unless its to points further south)

I do think they have been practicing the "you are not Mexican and therefore you have to pay more" line and telling others to say it for quite some time. I have had them use it on me on several occasions when I forgot to negotiate the rate before I got into the taxi. Interestingly enough, when I am in the taxi with my male Mexican friend, it has never happened.

Yesterday morning, I had the rather unpleasant experience of a taxi driver trying to take advantage of the situation. I look like a typical gringa (understatement) so... it is 5:40am and I am walking through the parking lot of Chedraui hoping I might be able to get a taxi to catch the 6am ferry. I am carrying a very large scuba backpack, a second large shoulder bag and another shoulder bag and struggling carrying all of this. (All of this in Spanish)I ask him how much to the ferry. (I usually pay 25-30 pesos from Chedraui) He told me 80 pesos! I told him that I was local and live a block away and that the taxis do not charge that much and he was parked in the Chedraui parking lot. He shrugged and said no and said that rate did not start until 7am. I told him I would pay him 50 pesos and he still refused. I then asked him to please call another taxi for me and he refused. I left and continued to walk down melgar until I was able to flag another taxi and he took me for 40 pesos. Sooo, TAXI #811 - you have no manners, I am sure your mother would be embarrassed by your refusal to help a woman struggling with heavy bags, AND because you were greedy, you blew the chance to earn a quick 50 pesos. Psssffffft! A big giant raspberry to you.

#9 J_CozDiver

J_CozDiver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

oops - sorry - double post.

#10 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:40 AM

You guys are aware that a new taxi rate has recently been approved and installed?

http://www.dqr.com.m...-tarifa-de-taxi

Cozumel Diving

#11 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

Mike, as far I as know, it's been approved, but not yet in effect. Nor has a start date been announced. Nor have the new fares been posted. Fare increase aside, the statements that there is a different fare structure for Mexicans vs. non-Mexicans is what has me concerned.

J_Coz Diver, if you're on the island - please go and speak to the Jefe. You have the taxi number and that should get a response.

#12 Saz

Saz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

The taxi drivers here are banditos! We are always getting charged different rates, and they charge such exorbitant rates! We live in the far north and if we pick up a taxi outside the Melia they charge us anything between $80 and $120 pesos into town. However, they will also charge this rate just to go to Hotel B or the Coral Princess. We also frequently have the same problem returning form town home.

A few weeks ago we were in town in a bar and offered a lift to a lady who was there alone (and a tad tipsy), who was returning to her hotel - Hotel B, which was on our way. We stopped to let her out and the taxi driver tried to charge her $80. We said "no, no we are just dropping her out here and will pay the fare when we get to our casa"....but the taxi driver wanted a full fare from her AND a full fare from us. He refused to budge and we were so disgusted, so we got out at her hotel and then got another taxi home. He could see she was a woman on her own and a little worse for wear and yet still he demanded to exploit us.

We are now trying to avoid using taxis as much as possible!! There is nowhere I have known, not in Europe, the U.S. or elsewhere in Mexico, where the taxis are so blatantly overcharging visitors.

We have learnt that there is a rule that a taxi driver can have 3 days pay withheld if he is found to breach the syndicate rules and rates.....so if any try it on with us now, we let them know we know this rule and take a photo of their number!
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace! Jimmi Hendrix

#13 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

I posted this on my blog May 31st and it looks like rate jumping is indeed occurring. The article mentions nothing about there now being a gringo rate and a local rate.:

We are reading that a taxi rate hike is coming soon to our favorite island. In fact it could come any day now and in anticipation of that rate hike some cabbies have already taken it upon themselves to start charging more for a cab ride than the current law allows. We guess some cabbies are afraid that they might miss the announcement when the rate does go up, so better be safe than sorry. Taxista Officials say that of the 702 cabs and 2000+ drivers on the island only 15 have been caught jacking up their rates. But if anyone feels they have been taken advantage of they should get the taxi number, time, date and their destination and report it to cab central. When the rates do officially change the minimum fee for a ride in town will jump from 18 pesos to 21 pesos. Not too bad considering that there has not been a rate hike on Cozumel since 2008.

#14 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:15 AM

You guys are aware that a new taxi rate has recently been approved and installed?

http://www.dqr.com.m...-tarifa-de-taxi

I believe as Pato stated that several taxista's (and I think more than 15) are already using the new rate. I based that on the volume of complaints against taxi drivers via the blogoshpere.

Cozumel Diving

#15 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

a few months ago we were coming back from the ferry to col maravilla, which is (was) 25 pesos. while we could have fit our stuff in a hatchback car, the next in line was a van so we took it. it was hot, and i asked the driver to turn on the fan/air/anything so he did. we got home and he tried to charge me 40. i said (in spanish with my mex husband) the fare is 25 pesos. he said it was because of the van. told him we didn't ask for a van, that he was next in line. so he said, ok, it was higher because he had to turn on the a/c!!!!
i gave him 25 pesos and told him to get on his way, that just because i am a guera doesn't mean i am a fool.
he left.

also, if you pay for a taxi and the stops to pick someone else up, you have all the right to tell him you are paying for a taxi service and not for a colectivo. i have gladly shared the cab with others as they have with me....but when i am coming back from the ferry and want to go home, i want to go straight home. they try to pull this cr*p all the time. you do NOT need to accept it, even if you are next in line and with a van.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#16 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

so he said, ok, it was higher because he had to turn on the a/c!!!! i gave him 25 pesos and told him to get on his way, that just because i am a guera doesn't mean i am a fool.
he left.

LMAO - BRAVO! Well done!

This reminds me of the BS del mar aquatics pulled on me when we asked to go to punta sur and they said it was too far, but if we were willing to pitch in for gas money, they would!
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#17 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:56 AM

It has been my experience that the majority, not all but most, of taxi drivers are very nice,very polite and very helpful. I ALWAYS encourage them to pick up an extra fare at the ferry ( a favor to the other person and a little extra money for the driver) and almost ALWAYS tip them. Especially in a van. They use alot more gas. These are not wealthy people. Just someone trying to make a living. I will also ALWAYS advise them if I think they are driving in any way that I think is endangering someones life, like following to close to motorcycles to be able to stop quick enough if there was an accident.

I have rarely seen a taxi try to pick up an extra fare so not sure about the "they try to pull this cr*p all the time" comment. But I do almost ALWAYS encourage them to stop to pick someone else up waiting for a taxi and always at the ferry if it is a van. And would always be happy to share a taxi with someone else, at the ferry or anywhere else.

If you ever have a taxi make a stop on the way to somewhere you should expect that it will be a separate fare. Even if you are sharing the taxi with someone and it is on the way. That is if they are making a separate stop and in the situation of if you were paying for the other person. Usually however the taxi has not charged me the full extra fare and has been very fair with me. I think if you treat people with kindness no matter the situation it will come back to you maybe not at the time but later on.

#18 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

Morenita,

I don't know if it is that nice out there. I have limited experience with taxis, but what little I have amounts to more often than not we get quoted something VERY high until the wife started in questioning them in Spanish. After that it comes down quite alot. Probably still more than those with experience get charged, though....

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#19 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

I am just saying there are some bad in every group. I have had Americans try to take advantge of me as a foreigner in the U.S. Bad people are in every culture. But there are also alot of good people. But it is my experience that most taxi drivers have been fair and very helpful. When you treat people well even the ones who treat you poorly it will come back to you. That is just how I prefer to live life. Treat others how you want to be treated even when they do not treat you the same. But with taxis most are good people and have been heplful.

#20 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

You know, usually when people complain about prices or policies on the island I just shrug and remind them that people have to make a living and that local residents are entitled to make their own rules.

The taxistas, though, are really starting to chap my hide. I've known some hardworking, honest drivers whom I fear are going to be harmed by their mendacious, grasping union brothers' behavior.

One of the persistent and pernicious myths about Mexico is that everyone selling goods or services will take advantage of visitors. It does nobody any good when taxistas behave in a way that confirms this. It looks even worse when the union is seen to condone the behavior by keeping rates secret.

They need not only to publish the rates, but post them right in the taxis. Instead of claiming drivers are honest, demonstrate it with every ride.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users