• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

I will still say there are alot more good than bad. Just hardworking people trying to make a living. But comments like "they try to pull this cr*p all the time". Really "all the time". It is exagerations like this that do no one any good. I do not like to use that type of language. If I applied the same in the U.S. I doubt anyone would like it. I do not like to generalize an entire group of individuals based on the actions of a few. That is what I was commenting on. I stand by the comments I made. I believe most are decent hardworking people trying to earn a living for their family.

I would get much more upset if someone was driving unsafe and endangering someone else because they are in a hurry to get me somewhere, rather than trying to make a few extra pesos. But again most I have been with were fairly decent drivers. There is the exception. And I will let them know.

For as many bad stories I read here I can tell you of the many times I have had a taxi driver do something extra kind and beyond what they needed to.

I do not usually like the words ALWAYS and NEVER. Because usually always is not always and never is almost always never. Tampoco me gusta siempre y nunca.

#22 mexcelia

mexcelia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, films, snorkeling, walking, swimming, and photography

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

I use taxis all the time. About a month ago I was shopping at Mega. When I told the driver that I had a bike with me that needed to be put in the back of his van his rate jumped 20 pesos. I then told him that I would go and get it myself (it was in the back parking lot) and would load it myself and he told me the wait would cost me another 20 pesos. "So, now it's 65 pesos?" I asked. "No, it's 45, and 40 more," he responded. I grabbed all my bags out of his van and started walking. The point to all this is that I was followed by yet another taxi driven by a man named Jaime. He told me he'd seen what they were doing and it angered him. He loaded my bike, helped me with my bags and charged me 25 (I tipped him, of course) Now, I just call Jaime...........number 987 111 3342, taxi number 11, although he does sometimes drive a different cab. He's polite, speaks great English, is prompt, and helps me to now avoid these kind of problems. I hope I'm not breaking any rules (not sure what they are) by doing this, but he's helped me to sidestep the nightmare that Some of the taxi drivers can be. I agree, many of them are quite nice and professional, but it only takes one to ruin a day...............

#23 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

I agree it only takes one. But that is how we learn patience and forgiveness. I can tell you many stories about very positive situations with taxis. It may also depend on your attitude as well. I had a taxi look for me to return my camera to me that my friend left in the cab when we were together. She was using it and it slipped out of her purse. It was not the cost of the camera but I had pictures from D.F. that I could not replace. Or on many occassions a taxi would pass by that was full but would ask where I was going and radio another taxi to pick me up. Taxi drivers have been helpful on many more situations than have I had a bad experience. What I object to is saying that they "pull this cr*p all the time". Think of what that implies. I do not believe this to be true. I take offense to that and am just defending "mis paisanos". I have met a few racist Americans but would never say all Americans are racist. Most all are good people. You need to think about the words you use.

But when you do have a bad experience document it. Get the taxi number, learn some spanish and make a complaint. But I don't think it helps to go on and on about it in a forum like this. I appreciate the positive story mexcelia. I could tell you many more.

Taxi drivers are the eyes and ears of the island, and have helped solve several crimes and keep us safer.

There are plenty of people who give the island a good name including taxi drivers. I needed a taxi once during Carnival. The road was closed a couple of blocks away from where I needed to get to. So the driver parked his car and helped me carry my bags a couple of blocks and asked for nothing in return. Of course I tipped him and thanked him from the bottom of my heart. But he did not want a tip.I did insist though. I know taxis who transport children for soccer etc. and do not expect anything. My point is I have had many good experiences. I think the good outweighs the bad. But rarely will someone start a thread about the positive things.

#24 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

Morenita, you are fortunate to have mainly positive experiences with taxis, and of course - patience and forgiveness are admirable virtues. And goes without saying - if you treat someone respectfully, it is hoped that you will also be treated in kind. Having said that, I have been visiting the island regularly for about 18 years, and at least once or twice a visit, there have been problems with taxi drivers and the inconsistency with charges and fares. I no longer consider myself the "typical tourist" staying for a week. I rent fairly centrally in town and am familiar with where I need to go and I ensure I am knowledgable regarding the fare amounts, etc. I normally will have the exact fare in my hand and if they are extra nice a tip as well. I am at the point where I consider getting from place A to place B safely and for the correct fare as a positive experience. The reality is that the more unpleasant issues being identified on this and other forums are happening with increased regularity, they are no longer as isolated and there are impacts on the reputation of the whole taxi situation. This may be in part due to a poor economy, drivers originating from other areas of Mexico working as taxi drivers on the island, or a combination of factors. I don't consider myself an impatient or unforgiving person, but like most, I also worked hard for my money and save and plan for my stays on the island and being overcharged or being given ridiculous reasons for charging a higher far are not things that I can support and (in my opinion) stands to reason that behaviours such as these do not contribute to a positive image of this beautiful island. I have also been in taxis where the driver has stopped and picked up another passenger or two - and in many cases it seems like they are friends and they just drop them off, and no money has changed hands. I have gone down to the taxi sitio on 3 different occasions to report my less than positive experiences- my Spanish isn't terrific, but my friend always writes it out in full for me - on one occasion I was treated very nicely and given a refund (I wasn't looking to get anything back) and the other two occasions I was treated as though I was a low-life criminal and not given any support or understanding and the guy screamed at me and the other guys gathered around there had a good laugh and nudging each other with amusement. I now try and avoid taking taxis and I primarily get around on my bicycle or walking or by the goodness of friends with vehicles. I was on the island for 3 months this past winter and took taxis probably 3 times in total. Once was with Charles and he knows most of the drivers, especially those that have been driving taxis for years - so that was easy and overall, very pleasant. Mexcelia, thank you for Jaime's info - I am going to make note of the contact info. for my next visit.

Valli

#25 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

I have had bad experiences, visiting Arizona, and been taken advantage of as a Mexican as a visitor in other parts of the U.S. But that would never make me judge other Americans. What I object to is the use of language here saying that this happens all the time. This I believe to be the exception and not the norm. Very little time is spent here telling about the good experiences. We only hear about the bad ones. I can tell you so many good stories of taxi drivers. I will defend my "paisanos" when it's appropriate and call into question their actions when necessary.

Do you have any idea how cheap taxi fares are here. I have paid $15 in the U.S. to go a couple miles. In some places the minimum is like between $10 and $15 just to get in the taxi. The rates are kept very low so that local people who make a very low wage can afford it and the rest of you benefit from this.

I could go into (but I would not) the times people have tried to take advantage of me in the U.S. I try to talk about all the many positive experiences I have had. I would say that if the worst thing that ever happens to you is that occassionaly someone has tried to overcharge a few pesos than you are very lucky. Make a complaint and get over it. There are many more positive things to dwell on.

A question was asked and Charles had what in my mind was the appropriate response. Go talk to the union. That could have been sufficient. It was not until the comment was made that they "try to pull this cr*p all the time". Insinuating that this is always the case. It is not and I do not accept that and find it offensive. I was just trying to point out that there are also alot of good people working hard and trying to make a humble living. I believe most are good and decent people.

#26 bulsaros

bulsaros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Glasgow Rangers Football Club

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:22 PM

there are 703 taxis on the island and maybe there is only about 10% who would not think twice about ripping you off,(yes Morenita there is no other word for it),I have seen the good and the bad, good being once I left my soccer cap on the dashboard and after I got out a few mins passed before I realized it was still in the taxi just at that point the taxi guy drew up beside me and graciously got out of the taxi and came round and presented me with my cap, bad being taxi drew up along side of my wife and I and we asked how much to the square (we had just left the Hotel Cozumel)
he said 9 dollars, I told him that I had paid 5 dollars that morning,without question he agreed to the 5 dollars,but since he had been trying to rip me off (those words again) I just waved him on and walked into the square.There are always going to be good driver and bad drivers fortunately the tourist has the option to say no.

#27 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

they try to pull this cr*p all the time.

This is what I had a problem with. It does not happen all the time. I do not believe that and I found it offensive. There are more good people than bad. I believe this is the exception. I was just pointing out the good stories. And not to judge others by the actions of a few. If you have a bad experience go and make a complaint. No need to lead people to believe it happens all the time. Charles and Carey's advise was the best and it could have been left at that in my opinion.

#28 J belle

J belle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Family, gardening, swimming, snorkeling, being on the ocean any way possible

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:35 PM

I think the cab drivers in Cozumel are really above average. I've always been well treated and everyone has been really kind helping me practice my Spanish. Have I ever been overcharged? I'm sure I have ! But my day job is in Philly and I take cabs here and in NYC a lot . Never in Cozumel have I been snarled at or, more importantly, scared to death by a driver going 80 in a 35 mph zone who just won't slow down. Come to think of it, I've never been in a cab in Coz that was really dirty either. Can't say the same up here in the Addytude Belt. Definitely complain to the union if you get ripped off, but overall there's a lot to appreciate on the island.

#29 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:59 AM

That was a good zoom out and get some perspective posting. Nice. Hadn't heard the term Addytude Belt, either. Funny

#30 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:25 AM

I agree with you about being scared to death in a taxi in NYC. I have a friend from Upper Darby PA. And in contrast they are very clean and curteous here. I was looking at going to Med school in that area before settling on Texas which was much closer to home. I find the people of PA generally very friendly.

#31 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:32 AM

Having a rate card in the Taxi would be nice. For us it is not a problem when we do take a cab we usually know what the fare is and agree to it before hand. I try to always have the exact fare so they can't play the no change game with us. For the most part the majority of the cab drivers are very nice and we usually have a nice chat with them in Spanglish, but it seems about 1 in 10 is shady. If I were an infrequent visitor with no prior knowledge of what cab fares should be and I was ripped off I would be angry. It is amazing the union doesn't see the short sighted nature of it's practices.

#32 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

I am not going to enter into the discussion about how easy or difficult it would be for them get rate cards in every taxi. I would suggest this campaign to be taken up directly to the union if people are really concerned. Are there "shady" drivers? Of course. You will find a certain percentage of people anywhere in the world who will try to take advantage of you. My suggestion is agree to a price before you leave. If you do not like it look for another. And if you have a bad experience make a complaint with the union. But my point was, and I agree with you, there are many more polite, honest and professional taxi drivers than the other way around. If it is 10% or 1 in 10 that are bad , that is the one that gets talked about. It is not human nature to come on here and talk about the 9 in 10 that were polite and professional. Most are decent people just trying to earn a humble living to support a family. I try to start a conversation with every single one of them and get to know them as a person. Most all have the same issues as everyone else that they deal with on a daily basis. They have good and bad days like everyone else. They are typical people just like anyone else. Get to know the person and it may change your outlook. I have seen a small percentage of customers who were disrespectful as well.

There are "shady" people everywhere. There are "shady" taxi drivers and "shady" people in the general population. There are bad taxi drivers. There are bad drivers in the general population. I have had a waiter in the U.S. try to add things on the menu that we did not order. He was surprised when I started speaking english because we were only talking spanish at the table. These things happen all over the world. Try going to Arizona as a Mexican. It is not that pleasant. Does that reflect on all Americans? No! People are who they are in all parts.

#33 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

I swear it seems one has to be a freakin rocket scientist to get a fair shake on a cab ride to and from some place in Cozumel

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#34 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:05 AM

I swear it seems one has to be a freakin rocket scientist to get a fair shake on a cab ride to and from some place in Cozumel

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I do not understand the obsession here to demonize taxi drivers. The majority are polite and professional.

#35 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

Statistically, I don't think anyone has any evidence to support a ratio of 10 to 1 of honest. drivers, and opportunists...

I think there are "some" drivers (any where) who will take advantage, but many do not...

To be really honest, being a taxi driver has to be ranked up there with one of the worst jobs.

You have people who are difficult to communicate with...language barriers/intelligent
You have people who don't know where they are going.
You have people who should use a van, but try to jam 6 people in a 4 passenger taxi.
You have people who are drunk.
You have people who have purge their bodily fluids.
You have people who are covered in sand, dirt and smell.
You have people who are throwing up.
You have people who are fighting.
You have people with no money to pay the fare.

I am sure there are lots more reasons that being a taxi driver may not always be a pleasant experience for them either.

Goodwill is earned...it goes both ways.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#36 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:31 AM

Statistically, I don't think anyone has any evidence to support a ratio of 10 to 1 of honest. drivers, and opportunists...

I think there are "some" drivers (any where) who will take advantage, but many do not...

To be really honest, being a taxi driver has to be ranked up there with one of the worst jobs.

You have people who are difficult to communicate with...language barriers/intelligent
You have people who don't know where they are going.
You have people who should use a van, but try to jam 6 people in a 4 passenger taxi.
You have people who are drunk.
You have people who have purge their bodily fluids.
You have people who are covered in sand, dirt and smell.
You have people who are throwing up.
You have people who are fighting.
You have people with no money to pay the fare.

I am sure there are lots more reasons that being a taxi driver may not always be a pleasant experience for them either.

Goodwill is earned...it goes both ways.

WELL SAID! You always put it so much better than I do.

#37 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

it wasnt personal against the cab drivers, but more the system

Why is it there are so many threads revolving around cabs, cab fares, and shuttles - its a dead horse thats been beaten, rebeaten, and then shot to death
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#38 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

Why is it there are so many threads revolving around cabs, cab fares, and shuttles

Exactly my point. It has become an obsession with some tourists and some locals. Like they cannot find positive things to emphasize.

#39 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

Yep! its very simple "cuanto para ir al centro?"

"80 pesos"

forks off into:

"no, gracias" and you find a fellow tourist to take you

or you say "vamos" and you pay da man

-----

no offfense, but this forum needs a single cab / island transportation sticky and all other threads opened after that should be deleted.

#40 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:23 PM

Yep! its very simple "cuanto para ir al centro?"

"80 pesos"

forks off into:

"no, gracias" and you find a fellow tourist to take you

or you say "vamos" and you pay da man

or you say "gracias mejor espero otro taxi" and smile: ser amable no cuesta nada

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users