47 replies to this topic

#41 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:28 PM

of all things mentioned in this thread, you brought up my "cr*p" comment in almost all of your responses. if you read my comment, it was referring to the ferry pick up location. pretty much every van at the ferry, when picking up locals, will try to fill the van with several passengers going to different places. if you think i am exaggerating, so be it.

i have had good experiences, i have had horror experiences, including a recent one in playa where the taxi driver, in a torrential rainstorm, decided to keep going 120kph and talk on his cell phone. told him to put the phone down and pay attention to the road as i am paying for a service to get from one place to another safely. i will share a cab if i feel like it too. but at the pier, they do try to pull that cr*p most all the time (i will put in the MOST to clarify). and as a customer, you do NOT need to accept sharing a cab. you are paying for a service. a collectivo charges much less and does the same thing.

i almost never tip taxi drivers, with the few exceptions when i see them respecting the speed limits and driving cautiously around motos and cyclists and i tell them the reason for the tip as well. call me a bad person, call me normal... i know more people who do NOT tip drivers than who do.

maybe you got all the good ones on your rides. good for you. seems like more people get a bad taste in their mouths from many taxi drivers here.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#42 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:02 PM

I have always taken a taxi from the ferry. I do it quite often. And I have had a van on many occassions and never has a taxi driver attempted to pickup a second fare. So yes I took offense to the comment that "they try to pull this cr*p all the time". It is not accurate. I did not say it does not happen and of course it is your choice if you want to share or not. We are different people in that way. But I will say that every single time I have taken a van from the ferry I have shared it with someone else. Because I suggested it not the driver. With the price of gas I would feel guilty using a van for a single fare. That is just me. The most recent time I suggested the driver take another gentleman who was going to Maravilla and drop him off first.

And to compare a van with another fare to a collectivo is a real stretch of any imagination. For those who do not know how collectivos work. They are often packed full. Run a particular schedule, and a specific route and do not drop you off at your door. Not even close to sharing a van with another person. I usually like the company and enjoy an additional conversation with the driver and another customer. The added benefit is helping someone else out and giving the taxi driver the opportunity of making a little extra money after having waited in line. And especially if it is a van. I will also ask a taxi driver to stop and pick someone up waiting on the side of the street. That is my choice. What I was saying is this stuff does not happen all the time. And there are alot of very polite and professional drivers out there. I would say the majority. But this is my opinion. Obviously you do not share it. That is your right.

I did not comment on anything else in your post in a negative manner. I just took offense to the one line. Might I suggest you choose your words better when you are talking about an entire industry. There are really alot of very nice and very helpful taxi drivers. I know of many.

"seems like more people get a bad taste in their mouths from many taxi drivers here". I have no way of knowing if this is really true and I could be wrong but I think that there are tens of thousands of memebers here. And there are only about ten +o- negative comments here about taxis and a few good ones. So I am assuming that those who have something negative to say are the really vocal ones. But I could be wrong. I like to emphasize the positive. But understand it is normally not human nature for people to come on here and talk about the good things. I understand that.

#43 J_CozDiver

J_CozDiver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:27 PM

Wow. Morenita, you must work for the taxi union on the side. LOL

Seriously, its obvious you don't live here. I realize you come here often, but you should realize its different for those of us that experience it on a daily basis. I appreciate your perspective, and am in 100% agreement with the Golden Rule, but being a blondie who looks like a tourist (me), it happens to me on many, many occasions. I'd say, sadly, it's gotten worse in the last two years and there's about a 50/50 % chance on whether my experience is going to be good or bad. I have had them do some pretty ugly things including picking me up and me getting in the taxi just as the rain started to come down in torrents, and then charging more then the agreed upon price because it was raining.

Two nights before Christmas, I went to pick up a Christmas tree (a small one)and the vans tried to charge me $120 pesos to take it 2 1/2 blocks to my home. Ended up walking down the sidewalk and carried my Christmas tree all the way home. ho ho ho. I have had them insult me in Spanish with one of their friends in the front seat thinking I didn't understand what they were saying. I have also been in several taxis where the driver smelled like he had been drinking when he got out to help me with my bags. When driving my car and on my way toward the other side of the island, time and time again, it is the taxis who tailgate me and narrowly cut me off to pass me on the road and they are traveling at a very high speed. In addition, almost EVERY time I stop to parallel park on the street, it is the taxis who are aggressive and won't give me enough room to back into the space and lay on the horn and force me to drive around the block and try it again and this happens on a DAILY basis. I am not exaggerating. It makes me a nervous wreck every time I want to park in front of my house! I lived in DC for years and believe me, I KNOW how to parallel park!! As a matter of fact they act very similar to the drivers there.

Still, I am always polite and gracious and I do tip when the situation calls for it (small talk, talking about favorite food, talking about where they are from, helping me with my packages or luggage, etc.). I always get into the car with the best of intentions and try to make small talk. On many occasions I have had delightful conversations and its always resulted in a nice tip for the driver.

So, thank you for your opinion. It doesn't change the fact that it is what it is. And, if we feel the need to vent a little here on this board because we were treated unfairly and use the word cr*p, then so be it. We're all adults here. (Well, most of us. haha) So, no need to chastise us about out language. We are just sharing our experiences good and bad and don't need a hall monitor. I'm saying this with a sense of humor and an internet smile, so no need to write a two paragraph reply. Like I said, it is what it is and for the most part, for those of us who live here, it gives us plenty for funny stories and conversations.

Relax chica! It's the humor, good will and funny stories that gets us through.

#44 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:57 PM

I have no idea how long you have lived here. I was born in Mexico City but I have lived here many years and have generations of family living here, relatives who have lived here since 1950. So I know something about Cozumel and about my culture. But that has nothing to do with the topic. Who has been here longer than the other? Don't know and don't care. Never play that game. My only point is there are many good people who are taxi drivers. I know many of them. If you have a bad experience make a complaint. The good ones will tell you to do the same. But to use a board like this to demonize an entire industry in my opinion is inappropriate. Especially when I know alot of really good people who are taxi drivers. If you do not like two paragraph responses than do not read them. No one has a gun to anyone forcing them to read comments here. Feel free to go right by mine. I know it is popular for some here to criticize my posts. So be it. I am only defending "mis paisanos" and many good people I know who work as taxi drivers. Are all good? No. But many are. There are dishonest people in every group and every culture. All over the world there are people who will take advantage of another. Charles and Carey were right in the beginning. Go report it if you have a problem.

I am very sorry for your bad experiences. I would even help you go and make a complaint. But if it were really true that these experiences were the norm and given that there are hundreds of taxi drivers on the islands than these boards would be full of complaints every day. It is not the case. There are more good than bad. I wish we could stop using these forums to give an entire industry a bad name and give a bad impression. Yes there are some bad individuals. If you want to make a difference and you really do care than report them. I was talking with a taxi driver today about what has been said here. Most taxi drivers are professional he told me. And do not want to jeopardize their job doing something wrong. They are good hard working people supporting their family. He said it makes most angry when they hear these stories.

I did not take offense to the word "cr*p" It was part of the quote. What I always commented on was the: they do this "all the time. I never commented on the use of a word. Believe me I have heard much worse. I never chastised anyone about using this word. It was in the quote. Where did you ever see me make a comment on it? I do not know what a "hall monitor" is. I have no problem with humor and funny stories. There are many you could come up with pointing out the positve things on the island. I can.

A few years ago my family had a very similar situation. We used a van to take a christmas tree home. It was not wrapped that well and many needles fell off in the van. I happily paid him 200 pesos for the ride and hauling our tree. I realized it would take some work to clean them out of the van. I gave him 200 pesos and a sincere "perdoname por favor" So I can see the other side on that one. As far as your other bad experiences I am very sorry. Truly.

#45 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:23 AM

It is difficult something to not make generalizations, and assumptions, and more then a few have been made in this thread.

When people feel that they are being deceived, discriminated against, treated unfairly they react. It is sometimes difficult to separate the good, from the bad at that point in time.

I believe that "we" the consumer of any service do have a right to know the cost prior to engaging that service...in the taxi situation that is where the rate charts should be demanded.

Without that baseline, it is what ever the consumer will pay, and a FEW will take advantage.

It is only my opinion, but the augment is not with each other, the argument should be with the Taxi Union and the Mayor (if need be)to ensure that these rates are displayed, and that we are all on the same page.

Defend, and promote good services. Identify those who do a disservice.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#46 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:32 AM

1 in 10 was not meant to be scientific just a mere generalization from my observations. I would be more than willing to run scientific testing if somebody grants me the money to do so. However that ratio would indicate that 90% are good which in any industry is great. As with all things the negative doings of a few can far out shadow the good honest work of the majority. I am sure they deal with a lot of bad things during their day, anybody who works with the public does. That being said when they are politely asked in Spanish how much to a specific location (mind you I know how much) and they tell you otherwise that is dishonest, so is pretending not to have any change. Like I said it is very unfortunate that the deeds of a few cast a negative light on the entire taxi union along with Cozumel as a whole. When a visitor is ripped off, whether in Cozumel or Chicago, they feel violated and last apt to return is what most people are trying to say here.

#47 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:02 AM

As a Moderator I made the decision to delete a post I believe to be off topic, as well as inflammatory.

I have been guilty of getting into flame wars myself. Knowing that, I elected to remove the post before going down that rat hole.

The flaming become a side show, and is unproductive...

This topic is about Taxi's...

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#48 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

As usual Coz2Wonder I think you summed it up very well. I have never defended the union, just the hard working decent individuals whom I know . I agree with the union on some things and disagree on others. I said early on that the rate chart should be something that concerned peple should take up directly with the union. I doubt anything would happen with the mayor until the new one takes office in what I believe will be a few months or less. But if enough people go to the union office to ask for rate charts than something might happen and that would be a good thing.

The points I made in the beginning were:

Most drivers are polite and professional. Yes there are a few who try to take advantage. But I do not think it is most.

If you have a bad situation make a complaint, rather than give the impression that all do the same.

Agree to the price before you get in.

I tell them (always) if their driving is endangering others, and others should do the same.

And I like sharing a cab with others and tipping them. But I agree that is me and that no one needs to feel obligated to do this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users