• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:46 AM

I need to have some stencils made, and don't even know where to start, or how to ask for what I need. The stencils would each need to be about 16x8.

Any suggestions? :ph34r:

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

Copy centro?

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#3 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:relaxing, singing, friends, my dogs, adventure, entrepreneurship, reading, laughing, coffee

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

I'm in the states right now and am returning on Tuesday. Stencils take virtually no space. Is it something specific and easily attainable or are they custom. If they are custom you can send a Word doc and I can see if I can get them done. Worst case scenario is I can't do it but I'm pretty darn resourceful.

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

They are custom. I have the text printed out, and the font style I want.

We purchased Michel L. kayak and I came up with a name for it, YACHT SEA.

The other two are "OOPS" (if it rolls over, it's on the bottom)

and of course, on the back, "COZUMEL, MX"

Let me first try Copy Central, tomorrow and if that doesn't work, and you have time I can email you the text.

Any ideas on what the cost might be having custom stencils made?

Thanks for your suggestions, and offer of help.
P

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

I get most of my ready made and custom stencils from Stencils by Joanie on Ebay.
Cindy

#6 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

You could also try one of the print shops (banners, business cards, etc). They might be able to do a vinyl type "sticker" for you. There is one on 65, heading north, right hand side, before you get to Burritos Gorditos and after the laundromat. I want to say the name of it is Rotolus (?) Or you could have one of the local sign/menu painter guys do it for you. I have a guy that has done some stuff, let me know if you want his info. Good luck!

#7 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:56 PM

paty at espacios y disenos (on 25 near corner of 5) has lots of great stuff and can probably make them too.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#8 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:39 AM

Office supply stores (like Staples or Office Max) usually have stencil sets (difference sizes, different fonts). You could look at their websites to see varieties and costs. You would then have to paint your words letter by letter. The ones i've looked at quickly are between 15 and 20 bucks.

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:30 AM

it appears I have a number of options here to track down.

Thanks all for suggestions and offers.

Anonymous

#10 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

Hey Coz2Wonder: I just talked with people at a sign making store here in Michigan (called FastSigns - its a multilocation franchise). They suggested that the best thing for you would be something called a 'paint mask'. A traditional stencil has to have little connector pieces to hold the middle of the letter/number in place. And to have a stencil made according to your font choice could be over $100 for the 3 phrases you have given us. (they have to use a router to create your custom lettering A paint mask is a single piece of thin plastic with a self adhesive backing. You have the wording done in whatever font and size you like. You then peal off the backing and press it onto your surface. You are left with a layer of thin plastic tightly adhering to your surface that only lets the paint through to form your letters/numbers. This is not re-usable. You use it once and toss it. If you need to refresh it later on, you get another mask (or if you know an artist like I do, you have the artist touch it up by hand). This 'paint mask' with 6" letters would cost about $28 at the fastsigns store here. Perhaps you can find this method of sign making in Cozumel. If you are willing to wait till oct 3 (or have other friends coming sooner), you could get someone to to bring it down for you it this technique is not available on the island. Good luck.

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:26 PM

Dan, thank you so much. The "fast sign" would work, if it would adhere to the surface, which is rough, in water and sun.

Thank you so much for doing all the leg work...I truly appreciate it.

Wow, who wouldn't want friends like this! :D

Anonymous

#12 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:21 PM

Coz2Wonder: Check into this technique to see if it is available in Cozumel. If it is not, any of your friends that are coming to the island could have a shop in the US do this for you. If you don't have anyone else who can get it to you sooner, I'd be glad to add it to the MW shipment arriving Oct 3. Let me know. You can send me the text and font you want this done in and I'll have the 'mask' made up for you here. I expect the 'rough surface' you are referring to is the bubbled plastic exterior of a kayak. The self adhesive would work fine (I think) to apply the mask. Then you paint over the exposed areas of the mask leaving your wording. The paint you use would determine its longevity and ability to resist salt water and sun. When the paint dries, you peal off the 'mask' and you have your lettering left. Good luck. Keep me informed on your progress.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users