• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

I might sound like a broken records, but make sure you have major medical insurance that can be used here.

I did a lot of leg work prior to purchasing AXA medical insurance 2 years ago, and darn glad I did.

I went to the two major clinics, and CMC hospital on the island to verify prior to purchase the insurance that was the BEST. I asked the accounting department which medical insurance they preferred, and which one was easiest to use. They all said, AXA.

One month after enrolling in the plan, I had a major heath crisis. I paid my deductable (5000p's), and since then have either not paid a bill directly, or have been reimbursed for prescription, and doctors visits within one week of submission of the paper work.

Even if you carry heath insurance from outside of Mexico, you may/will still have to pay upfront, then be reimburse for expenses. The amount of cash you might need, could exceed what you have readily available.

The cost of the yearly premium is small, compared to loosing your life savings.

You can purchase an AXA policy that will cover you only in Mexico, or you can get a worldwide rider which would be a few hundred dollars more.

The agent we use for our AXA health insurance is Irma Cantarell. Her office is upstairs, on the corner of 11 and 30th.

It has proved to be a wise investment for me.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:01 AM

Thanks for posting that information. Last time we were down in Cozumel we met with an insurance person and were surprised at how much the policy costs and how many different levels of coverage that existed.
We were probably mistaken in assuming that health care or a major incident was affordable out of pocket.
So do you know if there is a web site for AXA that we can try to find out how much it costs or approximately how much a yearly cost might be?
Thanks for any help .

#3 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:38 AM

I don't know the website, but I can tell you that the TOTAL annual premium for me AND my husband is $2500!!!!!!! That's $100/month per person!!!!!!!!

Irma's e-mail address is seguroscantarellportilla@prodigy.net.mx

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:48 AM

My yearly premium runs about $1,800 usd's, and my husband is about $2,200 usd's.

We have complete coverage, all medical (including doctors visits), prescription, dental, eyes, including glasses.

My husband has the international AXA policy, so his a bit higher (but same coverage)

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:46 PM

Cool deal, Thanks for answering my questions. Looks like we can be covered. Did not want to cut into diving money too much but I guess this health plan is affordable for sure.

#6 cozdaddy

cozdaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scubadiving, underwater photography. Landscape and people photography

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:28 AM

Paula not only medical insurance but car insurance as well I found to late after having an accidenton Tuesday that my car insurance only contracts with CMC and San Miguel and they took the guy to Isla med after spening the night in jail :( here is not something I would want to repeat. Thanks god my insurance company provided an attorney and a really good friend helped me very much. If it hadn't been for those two the incident may have been worse than it was. We finally wee able to come to an agreement with the family so the monetary pain was minimal and I'll be rembursed for out of pocket expense's

I really feel soory for people coming to the island on vacation or a cruise they rent a car or a scooter and get into an accident they are in for a world of hurt, espically if they do not know anyone on the Island that can help them out. I don't know if even the ex-pats that have living here know if there car insurance contracts with just certain hospitals, My Friend who Mexicana she didn't even know that. So Hillbilly do you research before you drive down.
Breath in Breath out move on

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:00 AM

CozD, did I understand correctly that YOU spent the night in jail?

As for the auto insurance you carried, was that a Mexican policy, on a Mexican plated car, or the international policy on a foreign plated car?

Really sorry to hear this, but glad that no major injuries where incurred.

Anonymous

#8 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

Damn mike. Sorry to hear about the troubles. I know after the job you held for so many years as a police officer that if you had a surprise we are in trouble.
We did get in touch with Irma and will be able to get the health insurance. She mentioned about having a mex plate car so I am guessing there is some differences in coverage.
You did not mess up that pretty jeep did you?
Were you and kris ok?
Pm please
Richard

#9 cozdaddy

cozdaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scubadiving, underwater photography. Landscape and people photography

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:04 PM

That is correct at the Federal building on 65 they have like two small holding cells where they can hold you up to 72hrs for a traffic accident. Paula the insurance is Grupo Nationial out of Mexico city which was purchased out of Flagstaff prior to driving down. and the reasonwe did that was becuase we were told that insurance agents here on the Island can only sell insurance for Mexico plated cars, if thats not the case then I'll purchase it from a realiable agent here. I was already at he federal building when the agent for Grupo showed up and than asked my freind when I was going to pay him for him to help me. I know this is mexico but I'm sorry he's already getting paid by the insurance company to represent me, so left when he was told he wasn't going to get any money. Only when the attorneys showed up did things start working for me, but by then I was already at the federal building on 65. It wasn't until Wednesday at about 3:30 did they take me back to the Palacio where I was released. The real trouble began as I tried to get my car back. The Policia Transito would not release the car until the Policia Judcial sent a letter showing that the car was mine and not stolen it took from Wednsday to Saturday before I got the car back and then once at the ploice staion it was well we need three copies of my license, two copies of my CFE bill, Three copies of the letter they recieved from the Judicial police, and on and on. A friend of mine made copies of everything and I went to the house to get the CFE bill I guess they didn't believe I live here and that the address on my license wasn't real. When I got back to the police station Jose told me "mike you're not gonna believe this they just towed your car to the impound lot, which is way back my the prison. But I have my car back so thats good, I've moved to Cozumel and have entered the twilight zone :blink:

#10 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:51 AM

Cozdaddy, I really appreciate you coming forward with this information about what happened to you. It is an education for me, and I'm sure for others.

You are correct, in regards to auto policies written in Mexico can only be for Mexican plated vehicles.

I have heard for $5,000usd's you can import your car, and then have it Mexican plated. You could buy a car here for that price, with Mexican plates. It make zero sense to me to make that kind of investment. But, it appears that it is of value to others.

I would be sure to alert Grupo National in Flagstaff of the treatment, and demand for payment from their Representative. He made a terrible situation even worse!

I would change international insurance companies for sure.

I guess I don't understand why you would have been held in jail? Is that standard practice for a traffic accident? Were you fined as well?

We are talking with Irma who wrote the health and auto policies for us (we have a Mex plated jeep) for clarifications on what to expect if something similar happens.

We are also going to talk with the international insurance carrier who insurance our foreign plated truck to be clear on WHO to call, and make them aware of the scam the Grupo agent tried to pull...

I'm glad it's over for you, but if it happened to you, then it can happen to any of us.

Anonymous

#11 cozdaddy

cozdaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:35 AM

Paula according to some people it's thier usual practice to jail people involved in an accident, and others said the only reason they jailed me was because I'm an American and they were afraid I would flee the Island before the injured party got taken care of. I've also heard that even if someone on a scooter blows a stop sign and runs into someone driving a car the person driving the car is at fault if thats true why do they even have stop signs and why do people on scooters get a free pass if they violate traffic law? just questions. I really thought I'd done my homework about moving down here but this accident was a jolt to some very hard reality. I'm going to meet with an Attorney today to get some questions answered about certain things and I'm going to check again to make sure that I can't purchase insurance here, it would make things a lot easier to have an agent you trust on the Island. I'll send you a PM.

#12 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

Wow..... That really sorta sucks and is a bit scary too.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#13 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

Cozdaddy;

I have posted this before.....:

Over the last several years there has been several discussions about different types of insurance, home and auto (liability insurance for your car are key words). Comments, both pro and cons of both were made. I showed these comments to Guadalupe Celis Ochoab in Cancun, she said that many of the comments were incorrect. For your specific needs, I suggest you contact Guadalupe ....: she assured me that foreign registered car could be insured, this could have changed as it has been some time since I visited with her.

Guadalupe Celis Ochoa Roca
Asesor en Seguros/Insurance Agent
Grupo Uno - Asesores en Seguros
(Reps 5 insurance companies - Spanish, English and French Spoken)
guadalupe@grupo1seguros.com
Cancun, Quintana Roo, Mexico
TEL: 998-898-4448 - CEL: 988-734-9092

Two questions, did you show proof of "liability insurance" to the local police and were you allowed to contact your agent/adjuster before you were locked up?

#14 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

as of today, checking with Irma Cantarell (our insurance agent) she states that IF the car has been IMPORTED, and even if it has US plates it can be insured by a Mexican company but ONLY for liability.

If it has not been imported, then it can not be insured by a Mexican insurer.

Isn't there a regulation regarding the age of the vehicle that can be imported? I could be wrong, but I thought it had to be 10 years or older model.

It is always good to drill down into information, and appreciate what TRAVELER89 has posted. I would LOVE to have Mexican auto insurance, but I am not spending 5k to do it.

Anonymous

#15 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

One thing that should be said is that "quotes" for "mexican insurance" purchased here in Mexico should be in MX pesos, not US dollars(illegal). This is from Seguros ING in Cancun. If you want your quote in dollars you had better know the exchange rate and do you own math.

#16 cozdaddy

cozdaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

we purchased insurance through MexPro prior to the drive down and purchased the best policy they had at $800.00 for a year I thought that was pretty resonable. At the time of the accident the cops on cene asked for insurance which I showed them. Once at the Police department oneof the cops said "you're in big trouble amigo no insurance" at which time I showed him my insurance papers. The car is plated in Colorado and that was confusing for thecops as well they kept thinking it was a rental car.

I fianlly found out who the agent for Grupo Nantionial is on the Island and I'm going to pay him a vist her in the next couple of days. I researched all the companys that sell mexican insurance and Mexpro and Sanborns and several others and Mexpro and Sanborns were rated the best. I also went on line to see the ratings of the different insurance companies in Mexico and Grupo National was rated one of the best, Thats why I purchased it.

Traveler like a dummy I left the house without my cell phone so I had no way to call fromthe scene and once I got to the police station I kept asking for a phone and the answer was "maybe later but not now" I kept it up until The head guy Domingo I think asked what I wanted I told him I wanted a phone to call some or to have a cop go by a friends house which they finally did do.

#17 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

Coz Daddy I sure am glad you went down there 1st. I know that is kind of a crappy thing to say but thru your sharing unselfishly of your problems we might be able to stay on the fringes of the twilight zone.
Probably not but it sure is a big help..
Thank you Thank you very much

#18 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:44 PM

It would help if you could provide the name of this Representative from Grupo Nantionial, or PM to those who need to know.

The reason I am asking is, he may also represent other foreign insurance company here in Cozumel not just the one you purchased from.

I want to make sure when I contact my carrier for our foreign plated vehicle I can ask if this guy is their representative here.

I can see how this could be a big problem for all of us.

Anonymous

#19 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:05 PM

Sorry for your problems and all the questions...., are your insurance papers in english or spanish, if they are in english this could have complicated the problem? My papers that I got from Sanborns some years back were in spaniish and they provided me with the agent/adjusters contact numbers in Cancun.

#20 cozdaddy

cozdaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:36 AM

Sorry for your problems and all the questions...., are your insurance papers in english or spanish, if they are in english this could have complicated the problem? My papers that I got from Sanborns some years back were in spaniish and they provided me with the agent/adjusters contact numbers in Cancun.

Their in both english and spanish and supposedly the agent for the company here speaks both english and spanish I was already at the federal building when he arrived and then he asked our friend for money so he could start working for me. I'm going to have to call Mexpro again for an agent name in Cancun. I'm going to set up a meeting with the agent here this week and have a chat with him and also get the balling rolling on getting reimbursed for what I spent out of pocket. The Lawer for the company paid my traffic fine for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users