Around The Corners At Buccanos

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mexcelia

mexcelia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, films, snorkeling, walking, swimming, and photography

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:58 AM

Yesterday was just a great day all the way around............thought I'd share, hope you enjoy :D

http://mexcelia.word...rs-at-buccanos/

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

if it was good enough for Cortez and Jackie Kennedy, then it's good enough for me.

The history of that site, and the old (Bates like hotel) is really a story in itself.

Love, love, love the place.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 mexcelia

mexcelia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, films, snorkeling, walking, swimming, and photography

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

I'd heard that some very famous folk had stayed there...........hope someone posts the story, sounds fascinating.......and, love it too, it is absolutely gorgeous, isn't it? :P

#4 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

The food is great and the snorkeling is wonderful too. We always go 2 to 3 times per trip and we get there early before the boat people and you just get surrounded by the fish. Love that place!

#5 mexcelia

mexcelia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

It seems I didn't do any of the activities that it is most famous for, eating, swimming, sunning, and snorkeling, but still had a great time................it's a new favorite :D

#6 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:10 PM

I stayed at the Club Cozumel Caribe hotel for 20 years. From 1980 to 2001 when they closed. It was a great place to stay. I was a young kid when I started going there.

Posted Image

The hotel has a lot of history along with the family that owns it. The pirate ship use to dock there and there would be sunset cruises and later at night they would take it out and take everyone up to the old Carlos & Charlies for the evening. I became fairly good friends with Don Fernando who owned the hotel. He would have his 70 foot yacht docked there and would take us out. My kids learned to snorkel and swim there. They are now in their 30's. Lots of good memories at that place.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 mexcelia

mexcelia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:01 AM

Great pics Steve, thanks for sharing..........and, do you know where I might find out some of the history of who stayed there etc.?

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

found a old post about the history. http://www.cozumelmy...h=1

The part that I added about the history, and where I found the info;

"Found this little tidbit about the hotel, and it's location from Mexican Adventure Guide".

"HISTORY: The Caribe has an amazing history rich with importance to the island extending back to the Spanish conquest of Mexico. The beach at the Caribe was the location of the first formal Catholic mass in February 1519 held by Hernan Cortez and marked the official "beginning of Christianity in Mexico". The hotel construction started in 1960s and when completed became the location on the island for visiting dignitaries and Hollywood stars alike. In 1968 Jackelyn Kennedy inaugurated the monument that celebrates Cortez's landing on San Juan Beach at the property. The hotel graced the cover of LIFE magazine in the early 1970's and has remained a mainstay for divers and vacationers ever since".

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#9 mexcelia

mexcelia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

Thanks Coz, had no idea just how much history was involved, no wonder it has such a magical feeling (and I kind of believe in that sort of thing, that folks leave a little bit of themselves behind)...........gonna go and try to find that Life cover now B)

#10 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:19 PM

Loved the historical insight and pics Steve. I am thinking now though that we shouldn't tell too many people about it.....

#11 mexcelia

mexcelia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

I know you weren't talking to me, but funny you should say that crunc h......someone else was just telling me that they want it to be their secret hideaway.......ooops
:blink:

#12 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

blame it on Cortez.

I will go for breakfast, but then I leave it to those who are visiting, and enjoying what Cozumel has to offer.

But, we have it at night when everybody else has left to find their next 'secrete find".

I used to be a tourist (sometimes I miss it), and so enjoyed finding these kinds of gems to kick back, and just have fun.

Anonymous

#13 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

Mexcelia - during your numerous "wanderings" around the island, just ask about Cozumel Caribe. You'll be amazed to find out just how many people you'll encounter (or already have encountered) who have worked there! Mexicans, Americans....sometimes I think that it must have been a rule that if you wanted to live/work here, you had to put time in at Cozumel Caribe first. My husband has very fond memories of his time there.

#14 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:51 PM

I stayed at the Club Cozumel Caribe hotel for 20 years. From 1980 to 2001 when they closed. It was a great place to stay. I was a young kid when I started going there.

The hotel has a lot of history along with the family that owns it. The pirate ship use to dock there and there would be sunset cruises and later at night they would take it out and take everyone up to the old Carlos & Charlies for the evening. I became fairly good friends with Don Fernando who owned the hotel. He would have his 70 foot yacht docked there and would take us out.

What made the Club Cozumel Caribe unique was the owner Don Fernando Barbachano Gomez Rul. The history of the Barbachano family, entwined with Yucatan history, might provide insight into the unique relationship of Cozumel with Merida and the separation and isolation from Mexico going back to the independent Republic of Yucatan. Merida was far more connected to Madrid than Mexico City. Until the second half of the 20th century there were still Yucatan passports issued and holders who would deny and feel insulted to be called Mexican, they were properly Yucatecans.

[[ http://www.americane...eature/2012.htm
Fernando Barbachano Gomez Rul was, until his death in 2006, the patriarch of the Barbachanos, a well known family synonymous with tourism on the Yucatan Peninsula. Don Fernando oversaw a vast empire of tourism businesses (hotels, resorts, a travel agency) that he inherited from his father, Fernando Barbachano Peon, long considered the founder of Yucatan tourism, today one of Mexico's largest industries..

These interviews would not have been possible if not for the kind hospitality and wonderful friendship of don Fernando. As you hear in the PodCast, he was thrown into the role of interpreter with mixed results. Despite that, without him I would not have had the opportunity to discuss 2012 with the home team on its own court.]]

http://osea-cite.aca...TICS_OF_TOURISM
A lengthy well detailed paper that besides the focus of the subject, offers history of the development of tourism in the Yucatan peninsula. The Barbachano family did sell Chichen Itza and received payment of $220 million pesos after it received the designation as one of the 7 wonders of the world.

Don Fernando did not share in his family's holdings in Chichen Itza, bought and developed by his father. In the midst of legal and political battles over the ownership of the land and just how much or IF the Barbachanos would receive compensation, Don Fernando shocked the press and litigants when he issued the statement declaring that the property had long been donated to INAH, the government agency that managed the site. The rebuilt Mayan ruins and all the cultural and archaeological treasures contained were the property of the Mexican people, but land underneath these sites can be privately owned.

Don Fernando held the values and morals of unfortunately now a bygone era, a set of values not instilled in newer generations. Greed and take all you can without any vision for the future has become common now. Don Fernando was immensely wealthy, but it was his personality, his values and attitudes that gave Club Cozumel Caribe its uniqueness.

#15 mexcelia

mexcelia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:07 AM

Appreciate all this information, Charles. It has made for a great morning.......had no idea that Chichen Itza was "privately" owned, or considered one of the new seven wonders of the world...and am fascinated by the relationship between the men being interviewed, especially Don Fernando and General Itza..., interesting to hear from the Maya what 2012 means.....good stuff here........oh, and am always pleasantly surprised by our circular routes in life, was a photographic assistant in Chichen Itza just a couple of years back.........

#16 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:10 PM

I would say that the values, morals, and integrity is a legacy that has been passed down...just look at Buccano's.

Look at the effort and pride that has been put back onto that property!

History is wonderful...and Cozumel has plenty of it.

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users