7 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

Thanks to all the helpful info on these forums, it was easy to grab a Maya Air flight from Cancun to Cozumel. Here's my report for anyone considering doing this.

Arrived at the International Terminal flying in from Newark to Cancun. Had tickets on Maya Airways already bought in advance and eticket printed out.

Zipped through immigration and customs and had no bags so was out front in less than 30 minutes. With 1.5 hours to go. I watched for a sign for Lomas Travel and found someone holding up a card pretty quickly. He asked if we wanted to go to the Maya Air terminal right away and that should have tipped me off.

We went right away in a nice AC'd suburban and were dropped at the door. Be warned. This terminal is no frills. There is a snack machine and a drink machine which ate AJ's money. (He borrowed some tape from an office and taped it over the coin slots.) AC works PURTY good but not great. Very bare bones waiting room. So advise not getting there more than about 45 minutes before your flight and bring a bottle of water and/or a snack with you.

The flight was very low and very smooth. 20 minutes from take off to landing as reported. Friendly staff. They were taking big bags and they were taking away anything bigger than a backpack or large purse and stowing it in the hold but you could see it the whole time as they keep the bags right in the same room until everyone goes out to the plane.

They take big bags but no pets.

In Cozumel, landing and take off is from the main terminal so you would be waiting in considerably more comfort for a flight back.

Next time I have to do this I think I'll hang around in the main terminal for a bit, grab a drink and snacks and then go find the free shuttle bus or Lomas Travel guy about 50 minutes before the flight is scheduled to leave.

AJ mentions that he would make alternate bag drag plans in bad weather. This is a sturdy, warhorse of a propeller plane that holds??? 20 or more people??? But he doesn't think it has the fancy electronic gear that lets pilots land easily blind. As long as they can fly below the cloud cover all should be well. I believe he said we were flying at 1500 feet and I can believe it as I could easily see houses and cars until we got out over the channel.

#2 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

My favorite quote from the Maya Air pilot....."Do not worry, the smoke coming from the vents is normal".

It was the AC system and fog was rolling out of the vents.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

That IS a good one! Ja Ja. Yes, it pours out in a high energy funnel that is very visible. According to AJ it didn't do much good. I think his wasn't working or something because I started to feel the chill about half way over the channel.

#4 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

Thanks for the detailed report

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:45 AM

And there's more... AJ flew Maya Air CZM to CUN yesterday morning on a flight scheduled to leave at 9 AM. They sat on the runway for 30 minutes until they could get the engine jump started from a truck. Meanwhile a mechanic was outside twirling the propeller by hand like he was trying to start a lawnmower and AJ had visions of that Indiana Jones movie where the Nazi loses his head when the propeller suddenly fires up. Most fortunately this didn't happen.

The 8 people on board along with the pilots got a little sweaty once the cold gold ac stopped pouring out although it only cools back about 3 rows anyway. Tip: the emergency information cards make pretty good fans.

AJ said he wasn't alarmed because there was an off duty pilot on board as one of the passengers and he was joking with the pilots the whole time they were waiting. So I guess....things happen. And at least it's a problem that can be fixed easily and fairly quickly. To give it a sense of perspective, I've been bumped off 3 count 'em 3 United flights in the last year because of mechanical problems they couldn't fix in a timely manner.

#6 VisionPro

VisionPro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

What about the ferry from Cancun airport to Cozumel? Any info on that?

#7 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

Carey, you should have taken pics at the terminal!
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#8 Regiomontano

Regiomontano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

Jajaja the first (and last) time i took my wife in maya air she was SCARED!! she remember me a joke that said: Maya air pilot to passengers:

""Good day ladies and gentlemen, this is your pilot speaking, this is a routine annousment: OUR FATHER WHO ART IN HEAVEN....""

and my compadre he did not tell me anithing...we took of and he just start hitting me in the leg...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users