22 replies to this topic

#21 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:45 AM

I have learned a great deal from Charles and many others that participate in this forum about life and the realities and ever-changing issues related to Cozumel. On the whole, I find the island a beautiful and delightful place, which is the reason I have been visiting more often and staying for longer periods of time. I thought I was well prepared for my 3 month stay last winter after coming down for so many years, but still had my eyes opened a bit wider with this past experience. I have no plans to write a book, my trip reports on this forum are the extent of my capabilities. Having said that, I do report both the positive and negative, because that is one way in which I have learned and to be more adequately prepared, and I like to think others can also benefit. I had to chuckle at the remark Charles made regarding the goings on in his area that he could view from his window. One of the places I had rented was not in a tourist area, and I had lots of entertainment - from watching the guys across the street soldering metal with no safety glasses and wearing flip flops to some drama with a woman constantly yelling down the street at her misbehaving husband, and some antics from a near by cantina. I remember looking forward to Sundays when it was reasonably peaceful in that area. I am counting down the days until I am returning for a couple of weeks soon, and then back for another 3 month stay. I always think I have nothing left with which to base a trip report, but somehow always manage to produce a lengthy report. Mexcelia, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your blogs and viewing your pictures, and I wish you every success. You have a unique gift of taking a very simple thing like an early morning walk and making the reader feel they are right there with you to enjoy the beauty and tranquility.

Valli

#22 mexcelia

mexcelia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, films, snorkeling, walking, swimming, and photography

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:46 AM

Thanks, Dan, good advice..........since the book I wrote is in the relatively new genre of creative non-fiction, it needs to stay focused on the theme (or thesis) and I do want to work with someone who doesn't try and alter the main facts, or put a "spin" on them.....but the title will be altered slightly and there will be a few tweaks as per their suggestions, guessing that's how it has to be....also,hadn't quite realized how similar our situations truly are, remember being a bit taken aback when I heard a bit of a Beethoven piece reworked into a hip hop song, sheesh. Anyway, thanks, I appreciate your feedback! :)

#23 mexcelia

mexcelia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, films, snorkeling, walking, swimming, and photography

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:52 AM

Valli, there always is something new to be discovered here, yes? I've been toying with an idea of collecting stories from both residents and long time visitors. I once wrote something about my embarrassing mistakes with the language and was happy to see how many others shared theirs as well. A compilation might be fun and would certainly be worth reading for those who already love the island and those who are just discovering it. And, thanks for the nice words, but I have to admit, this island makes it easy for writers..............oh, and still picturing that guy soldering with no glasses and flip flops, that had to hurt :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users