• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HeidiM

HeidiM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

I'm movIng to the island in October and originally i planned on home schooling but I'd like to know what other options there are for my 6 yr old. I saw someone on here mention a Montessori school but could not find it online. My questions are:
Is there a Montessori school on the island?
Do they have a website?
Is it English, Spanish, or both?
What are the monthly costs?

Are there any English speaking schools for a 6 yr old on the island?

Thank you so much for any information given. The web searches have not been so kind.

#2 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:36 PM

Give special attention to comments made by Traveler whose wife is a teacher and to Nauticab who has kids close to your age group.

http://www.cozumelmy...p?showtopic=837

http://www.colegioju...t/historia.html I lived for a while close to here and would be walking past when parents picked up their kids. Both the parents and kids seemed happy, but I have no knowledge of the educational competence.

http://www.cozumelmy...?showtopic=2211

Your six year old will soak up Spanish like a sponge. In six months she'll be bilingual. If you want to be successful, learn Spanish, embrace the culture and the community. My roommate friends from college moved to Mexico to raise their two daughters when they were 4 and 2 1/2. They were the first and only American kids to go entirely through their local school system in Alamos Sonora. Both parents were actively involved in the school and the mother was elected to head the PTA for ten years until the younger daughter graduated. The mother born in the U.S. moved to Europe at age four. By the age of 10, she was completely fluent in English, Spanish, French and Italian. After two years in Portugal and Brazil she mastered Portuguese. Oh, all only romance languages I said when I first met Jen.

Your daughter can be the key for the family's adjustment and she can be bilingual without a trace of accent in both languages. A skill virtually impossible to achieve at a later age. Good luck.

Use the search function on this site for a multitude of questions you haven't thought of yet.

#3 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:48 PM

it has been 2 years since i posted about montessori. my son is now in 1st grade, after having had been in the montessori system for 3 years. i still rave about the school, the teachers, etc.
they have english everyday for an hour and there are many bilingual kids in his class. you can visit the school and speak to the director, silvia, during the week to get more info.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#4 HeidiM

HeidiM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:13 PM

Give special attention to comments made by Traveler whose wife is a teacher and to Nauticab who has kids close to your age group.

http://www.cozumelmy...p?showtopic=837

http://www.colegioju...t/historia.html I lived for a while close to here and would be walking past when parents picked up their kids. Both the parents and kids seemed happy, but I have no knowledge of the educational competence.

http://www.cozumelmy...?showtopic=2211

Your six year old will soak up Spanish like a sponge. In six months she'll be bilingual. If you want to be successful, learn Spanish, embrace the culture and the community. My roommate friends from college moved to Mexico to raise their two daughters when they were 4 and 2 1/2. They were the first and only American kids to go entirely through their local school system in Alamos Sonora. Both parents were actively involved in the school and the mother was elected to head the PTA for ten years until the younger daughter graduated. The mother born in the U.S. moved to Europe at age four. By the age of 10, she was completely fluent in English, Spanish, French and Italian. After two years in Portugal and Brazil she mastered Portuguese. Oh, all only romance languages I said when I first met Jen.

Your daughter can be the key for the family's adjustment and she can be bilingual without a trace of accent in both languages. A skill virtually impossible to achieve at a later age. Good luck.

Use the search function on this site for a multitude of questions you haven't thought of yet.

Thanks so much for the links! My husband is fluent in Spanish so he will be our rock:) I definitely want my daughter to learn Spanish also so you're right she would learn best if she was at a Spanish school.

#5 HeidiM

HeidiM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

it has been 2 years since i posted about montessori. my son is now in 1st grade, after having had been in the montessori system for 3 years. i still rave about the school, the teachers, etc.
they have english everyday for an hour and there are many bilingual kids in his class. you can visit the school and speak to the director, silvia, during the week to get more info.

Very helpful! Thank you!

#6 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

Heidi...., an early welcome to Cozumel....... School started here almost a month ago. both your 4 and 6 year olds will be in school, children enter kinder at age 3 depending birthday...., In some schools kinder and primary students start and finish at differnt hours..... find out if lunches and/or snacks are furnished. Some schools allow students to bring their own water. Uniforms are normally worn, some schools stress presentation more than others. "Montessori Colegio Julia Ambros" is a good choice, "Instituto Gardner", is also good for the early years.

Note: The American School of Cozumel(Colegio Americano de Cozumel) has closed....

Montessori Colegio Julia Ambros
Calle 14 Norte entre 20 y 25 Avs.
Colonia Centro, Cozumel Q.Roo.
C.P. 77600
Tel: 01 (987) 872 3343
silvia@colegiojuliaambros.net

"Instituto Gardner"
Email: info@institutogardner.com.mx Phone: 987- 869-2176

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users