14 replies to this topic

#1 bulsaros

bulsaros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Glasgow Rangers Football Club

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:43 PM

Good Evening, has anyone stayed at the El Cid,we are going in oct and are staying in a garden view room, seen on 1 of the comments someone got a free upgrade from the old block to the new tower anyone here experience this before,and do all the rooms have a kitchenette.Any comments from past guests would b helpful.

Regards Bessie

#2 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:55 AM

Sorry to put a damper on things, but I stayed at El Cid and hated it. I MUCH preferred the sister hotel Casa Del Mar. Hated the high rise, and the SLOW, TINY & HOT elevators that had NO AIR flow – you could get totally claustrophobic in them (not normal for me)... I hated the elevators so much I’d take the fire escape up 4 flights, and they were treacherous – no hand rail – god help you if you fell between flights!

The restaurant service was not as good as CDM, but the pool was nicer... They also had a pool table we used a lot. Other than that, it’s very no frills, like anything in Cozumel.

MC
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#3 bulsaros

bulsaros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:13 PM

stayed in the casa del mar back in feb and although we had a great view their bathrooms are very tiny, the air conditioning was below par,they have no lift for the 3 levels
so each to their own I suppose.

#4 Gator & T

Gator & T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:12 PM

Before we rented a place, we stayed at the El CID several times and service and rooms were great. Many staff members have been there for over 20 years and there was little pressure to attend the timeshare presentations. We were treated like family members. In fact we got married there - last minute - in 2010 and they took care of everything at no charge. (it was only my husband and I along with three guest who lived on the island.) since we have an apartment on the island, we still visit the hotel and visit our friends who work in the restaurant. The only negative would be for someone wanting 24 hour food/room/bar service as they close around 10 or 11 pm.

#5 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

I remember when El Cid (formerly La Cieba) was the cream of the crop in CZ. :D

Anyways, after my recent trip to Ambergris Caye, Belize, I am not sure I am going to be able to go to an AI in Cozumel again. I liked waking up in a private condo, groceries in the fridge – juice, coffee, cereal and milk, fresh fruits... We had our own bar going and we didn’t have to wander out for each meal or drink.

There, I said it (this is for you, Chief! lol) – I liked the non-all inclusive better!

MC
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#6 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:44 PM

WOW.....

Posted Image

You could warn a guy. I had to have my heart restarted!

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#7 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

LMAO!!

I knew you'd love hearing me admit it!

I''ll still stay as far south as I can, just in a condo now :D

MC

#8 bulsaros

bulsaros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:17 PM

refrigerator and stove in your room at the el cid for all your groceries, just sayin ;-)

#9 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:46 PM

Dude,

Give it up. The party is downtown. Go out on the boat during the day, then El Centro at night. Make the big party....

Of course I hear the jungle sounds at RR are enchanting at night.....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#10 kentukcoz

kentukcoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:29 AM

We've stayed at El Cid a number of times because our timeshare points will get us a studio or a 1bdm unit although we've never stayed in the hotel rooms. We've enjoyed all the units clean and comfortable and well outfitted. The 1bdm's that open up onto the pool area are really nice. Staff if helpfull and friendly. After the initial pitch at check-in no extra pressure over timeshare purchase.Restaruant is good if a little pricey. Pool area is nice although the pool is small.Only downside is they let the boat people coming from the international pier next door.But since we're usually out and about at the beach clubs and they leave by 6:00 its not much of an issue. Easy snorkel access although not much to see in front of the Hotel. All in all we'll keep going back

#11 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:16 AM

Fridge n stove in the room @ El Cid? Is that all of the rooms now? Last time I stayed there was I think in 1998.

Jefe, I’ll take jungle sounds to la fiesta all day long!

Maybe now I can complain about all that “horrible crazy party music @ the Allegro” next trip! Haha

#12 bulsaros

bulsaros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:47 AM

as far as I'm led to believe every room has a small type kitchenette now,but to me the fridge is the biggy, plenty of room for the booze and some snacks. :D

#13 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

Fridge n stove in the room @ El Cid? Is that all of the rooms now? Last time I stayed there was I think in 1998.

Jefe, I'll take jungle sounds to la fiesta all day long!

Maybe now I can complain about all that "horrible crazy party music @ the Allegro" next trip! Haha

Well, you know you might have to put up with the loud parties at the Wyndam from RR. I dunno.... The only party noise we put up with are the dulcet tones wafting from Love Cafe. That place make the big party, I think. Only with the windows open though and not loud....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#14 matiilda

matiilda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:16 PM

It is a good resort, just one little advice. Stay away from timeshares. I bought a timeshare with them and it was one of the worst financial mistakes I ever made. I never intended to buy it, but I was suckered into going to a timeshare presentation to get free show tickets when I was in there. The high pressure sales person convinced sign and I ended up with a timeshare. It was one of the hardest things to get rid of and I lost money in the process. It was an expensive lesson learned. There was a company that helped me finally cancel my contract, its name is Mexican Timeshare Solutions. I found that they have an article avoiding people to purchase at El Cid. I hope this information is useful. http://www.timeshare...-cid-timeshare/

#15 kentukcoz

kentukcoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:10 AM

We stayed there at the beginning of July like we always do when in Coz because its an affiliate resort of the Wyndham timeshare system. In the middle of our stay the Government swooped in and shut down the timeshare selling operation and posted big signs declaring PROHIBITO all over the lobby' I guess their permits weren't in order or something

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users