18 replies to this topic

#1 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

Just got home from immigration here in Denver. Followed all on line directions for what paperwork was required and went to the Consulate. Only had to make one extra trip home for more stuff. Just like in Cozumel Huh?
Good news is we have in our passports a plastic laminated card good for one year as our Visa. When we get to Cozumel we have one year to get the smaller Cozumel FM3 card.
Title or wording on the paperwork is NI/Vis Renista/nlu/hasta 365 dias*una. Thats gotta be it huh?
Now since we have the vehicle permit already in hand and our thousand page Menaje De Casa (joke) all done we should be able to hit the road about October the 5th to head to our home in Cozumel.
We are really only pulling a 4x8 trailer behind our jeep type vehicle so it should be a piece of cake.
Just thought it was interesting that we could get our papers here and also that we were allowed a household exemption without getting our FM3 there last time we were down.
Major pain but what else we got to do huh?

#2 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

Ok got bumped for a commercial.Still want to know if somebodies,anybodies FM3 reads like I described in my previous post The part where it says NV/VIS Renista/nu/hasta 365 dias etc.

Just curious how we could get an FM3 here in Colorado when you are not supposed to be able to do that.

#3 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:31 PM

Yeah, I'm curious about that, too.

The reason my wife has one and I don't is that I just can't spend the required uninterrupted time away from work. If this could be done through the consulate I would be a happy camper.

My wife's No Inmigrante ("FM3") card has no line similar to the one you quote.

#4 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:17 PM

Thank you for your response.
I have an idea that we have most of what is required to get our FM3 as far as paperwork, bank statement,s so on and on and on and most likely we take this card and exchange it for the real FM3 in Cozumel. Our main concern was that we could not get a one time household visa (read no import tax) without the actual FM3. when we cross the border with our stuff.
It seems as if they are more concerned that you bring your stuff back out of Mexico instead of possibly selling it there. I think where we messed up was getting our car and trailer permit before we went to immigration as we assumed that we were going in with a tourist visa and only applied for a six month. Now we have to check in and get it more in line with the one year time frame we have been granted.
Fun and Games

#5 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:relaxing, singing, friends, my dogs, adventure, entrepreneurship, reading, laughing, coffee

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:15 AM

The paper the consulate put in my passport has the line you are talking about. That is not an FM3. My FM3 is a laminated card that fits in a wallet a lot like a driver's license. I don't carry my original but have made color copies and had them laminated. I've heard that I'm not supposed to do that but I did it to keep in my car and my wallet in case I need it and don't want to run home for the original. In most cases it works just fine. Unless I'm leaving the country or something. Good luck on your journey and stop by when you get here safe and sound and we'll swap stories about our journies. Make an appt. with Monica Sauza as soon as you arrive and she'll be a godsend with getting your FM3s in order.

#6 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:38 AM

Just got home from immigration here in Denver. Followed all on line directions for what paperwork was required and went to the Consulate. Only had to make one extra trip home for more stuff. Just like in Cozumel Huh?
Good news is we have in our passports a plastic laminated card good for one year as our Visa. When we get to Cozumel we have one year to get the smaller Cozumel FM3 card.
Title or wording on the paperwork is NI/Vis Renista/nlu/hasta 365 dias*una. Thats gotta be it huh?
Now since we have the vehicle permit already in hand and our thousand page Menaje De Casa (joke) all done we should be able to hit the road about October the 5th to head to our home in Cozumel.
We are really only pulling a 4x8 trailer behind our jeep type vehicle so it should be a piece of cake.
Just thought it was interesting that we could get our papers here and also that we were allowed a household exemption without getting our FM3 there last time we were down.
Major pain but what else we got to do huh?

I am not sure that what you have is an FM3/2. It sounds more like a visa. The information on the card indicates: You have non-immigrant/visitors status, you are retired and that the document is good for 365 days.

Cozumel Diving

#7 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:26 AM

Ok, thanks guys. I guess a visa will get us there. Will for sure meet with Monica when we get there for the FM3.
Sound like more copies, more copies, more copies. They really like paper, the Mex consulate in Denver has to be half full of it.

#8 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:14 AM

True on the paper, hillbilly! Just be sure to have all of the same documents in hand when you get here. We went through the same process you're describing while in Texas. It does make things go a little faster once you're here, but they still want to see everything for themselves. Safe travels and perhaps we'll encounter one another once you're here.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#9 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

I do not believe what you have is the actual fm3 this is most likely a visa and when you get here they will issue the fm3. But like Kandy said make sure you have everything. that is required. When you get here the first beer is on us LOL. Safe trip

#10 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

it's a tourist visa that expires in 365 days...that is the only thing that can be issued in the states.

I would wait until it is near expiration to apply for an FM3.

The only concern (if it was me) was how I was going to import my household goods on a tourist visa when the requirements are an FM3 to import your goods. But, maybe there will be NO problem.

Guess, worst case you would have to pay duty.

Safe journey.

Carry on, without COMMERCIAL interruption.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#11 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:30 PM

Paula, he went through the same process as we did. He will only have 30 days to complete the process he started in the US when he arrives on the island. The paper work he submitted in Denver is the same paperwork he will have to hand in the INM in Coz. The only thing different is they won,t be required to pay at a Coz bank as he paid at the consulate. He will also need a letter of direction in Spanish asking for his FM3 .

#12 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

did your paperwork also give you 365 days? But, you said you had 30 days to get an FM3 once you arrive.

I'm confused...if the paper work give you 365 days visa, this an extended Visa, and is it also an application for an FM3?

If it's an application, then what are you traveling on? Tourist Visa, or an application for an FM3?

My only concern would be how they viewed my household goods.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#13 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:relaxing, singing, friends, my dogs, adventure, entrepreneurship, reading, laughing, coffee

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

My FM3 had the same insert in my passport that he described with the 365 day thing. I had 6 months to get my belongings in via the menaje de casa and 30 days to get my FM3 upon entering Mexico. I thought it was after arriving on the island and waited a bit, almost too long , to go see Monica. She was able to push it through with no problems but it was very close.

#14 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

okay, let me ask the dumb question...what is the value add of getting a 365 day tourist visa issued in the states, if you have to apply for an FM3 within 30 days in country?

You now need to hire someone to process the same documents again, but you don't have to pay the processing fees?

Another question, does this visa get your household goods across the boarder without duty (which would be the key point).

I am not be difficult, and this forum is to inform users...I'm just not understand how this is a benefit.

Anonymous

#15 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

Yes, with the completed forms the consulate will process your menaje de casa so you can bring your household goods with you across the border. The fees are paid in the US and just need to be filed once you get to your home in Mexico. I don't know why it has the 365 day thing because at the border they issue a 6 month visa and tell you that you have 30 days to finish your paperwork for your FM3. Seems kind of ridiculous but that's how it worked for me.

#16 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

thanks...that clears up the issue with importing household goods without a problem.

What would happen if you didn't follow though and get an FM3? Guess nothing. :)

Anonymous

#17 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:24 PM

thanks...that clears up the issue with importing household goods without a problem.

What would happen if you didn't follow though and get an FM3? Guess nothing. :)

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner....back problems.
We entered into Mexico on a tourist visa with the 365 visa in our passport. If we didn't follow through with the fm3 paperwork within 30 days the application would have lapsed and we would have to leave the county within the 180 days our tourist visa gave us. Then back to square one.

#18 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:40 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. No doubt Monica will be our first stop and we will get the Fm3 within 30 days. Does seem kinda weird but what does not when dealing with immigration. Thus let the experts do it.
It is enough to drive ya batty. Two weeks from today probably depart on our great journey.
Coz to wonder, sorry about the commercial comment. I am kind of a D----k sometimes. Will try to refrain Ok? I really do appreciate your knowledge and experience.
Richard

#19 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:01 PM

a very safe journey, and keep us posted on your progress.

The adventure begins. :D

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users