• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 HeidiM

HeidiM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

Just trying to figure out if I should secure a place to live before we come or rent a hotel until we find a place.
I assume the places on the internet have inflated prices. True?

What are your thoughts on just showing up and hoping to find a good place?

Anyone happen to know of a good long term rental in the El Centro area preferably on the north end of El Centro?

Thanks everyone for your input! This forum is seriously helping me a lot!

#2 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:33 AM

There is SO much available for rent on the island right now. I think the best thing to do is to come down and start walking around the area you're interested in. I've seen plenty of Se Renta signs in El Centro this past week. Hopefully something will meet your needs. Good luck!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#3 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

List what your needs will be? bedrooms? a/c? maids? pool? ocean views? budget? walking distance to grocery stores?...how long for a rental? weeks or months? Check the utilities listed as electricity can be very expensive here on the island. Yes there are many rentals right now, but at times the contact info can be wrong and if you don;t speak Spanish, you may not get any information. I would suggest you contact one of the companies that are property managers here, as they have lists of places and are also available if there are any problems with the rental place and any maintenance.
Good Luck..
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#4 HeidiM

HeidiM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

We are looking for:

2-3 bedroom (preferrably 3)
utilites included (preferrable but not necessary)
fully furnished (necessary)
Pool
walking distance to grocery store and the montessori school
lease term 6 mos to a year
Walking distance to beach

My husband speaks spanish fluently so language will not be a problem.

Budget: 600-1200 usd (open to paying in pesos also) Better to start out on the cheaper side while we're figuring out how to run our buisness from abroad.

#5 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

It isn't easy to find the right location and the right mix. There are a number of higher end moderately priced places (what I would consider your stated budget) that come available during the ever lengthening low/dead season. I doubt any place will include electricity as there are such variables in usage and in cost per kilowatt. Based on prior consumption, you may be billed at 1B rates which benefit from a government subsidy or you may be or move to DAC, high consumption which will significantly impact the cost of even modest monthly consumption. Electric bills are for two months. Prices might range between double and triple typical U.S. prices.

Whether you go through a property management or rental agency or deal with the owner directly; both have their merits and down side. A pool will be pushing it in your budget range; it'll add about $100 a month in cost for maintenance and electric use and the water will be too cool to comfortably use six months of the year. They are expensive backyard decorations.

http://maps.google.c...,174.12,,1,3.79

Villas Santa Lucia
The google picture is from a few years ago, I don't know if the number is valid. I have talked to the owner directly and then too, I have been shown one that was listed with rental agency. That is your location, avenue 20th and calle 12 norte, but no pool (but you probably don't want one or wish you hadn't).
Prices used to be around $1,000USD monthly (asked) for a three bedroom furnished, but that could mean $10,000 pesos. Prices lower for smaller units

http://maps.google.c...p=12,64.82,,0,0

Here's the front view from calle 12. You could check on current availability.

There is also Las Ventanas, a large condo project close by bordered by avenues 5 & 10 and calles 10 & 12. It has a pool, is closer to waterfront, but a few blocks farther from the school and stores. Many units were purchased as "investments" or eventual retirement, seasonal residences. You'll see many weekly rentals offered for $1800 USD weekly high season, maybe $1350 USD weekly low season. For that price (dreaming) they include electricity. I looked at and considered a couple of rentals that the owners were asking $1,000 USD/$12,000 pesos monthly and were fully furnished, quite tastefully and completely. I don't know if there were any additional "condo fees" and of course, you were responsible for electric. The market in Cozumel is hugely overbuilt and should be considered a buyers or renters market. If you wanted and were confident of a one year rental, I'd negotiate on price harder than a six month rental.

Prices listed and quoted are all over the map. Many people are dreaming, but slowly some landlords and rental agencies are adjusting to the new realities. I literally laughed at an apartment, it was a dump and their desired price was ridiculous. Two years later, it had been remodeled, way nicer and was priced at one half the original price. Just using Las Ventanas as an example; the are a larger number of owners, both Mexican and North American and you'll find prices of some equal units to be almost half monthly what others are asking for weekly.

You can take the clan to Suites Vima on avenue 10 and calle 6 and then send the husband with cell phone and notebook to walk all the streets in your desired area. It is unlikely and really not realistic to find something without being there in person. It can be a very frustrating task trying to connect with the person in charge and frequently you'll chase dead ends that would have been perfect, but they changed their minds or it had been rented three months earlier and they forgot to take down the sign.

The months of October and November are ideal, prime time to hunt for a place. Good Luck

#6 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:48 PM

Charles, good information. And yes, for a rental that is not considered a vacation rental, the renter will be expected to pay the electricity, and likely phone, cable and internet, etc. There is one area I wouldn't agree with you on - and that is the matter of a pool. Maybe last winter was an exception, but when I was down from January to April, having the pool was fantastic. Yes, there may be some extra cost for maintenance, but while at this time I can only speak for myself - not having a pool would be a deal breaker, whether renting or buying a property. As I don't have a car on the island, and depend on others to get to the beach, I really get a lot of use out of having the pool. Having said the foregoing, I do understand that an on site pool may not be everyone's preference.

Valli

#7 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:31 PM

I really get a lot of use out of having the pool. Having said the foregoing, I do understand that an on site pool may not be everyone's preference.

But you're Canadian, you have natural antifreeze in your genes! I have on good authority that when your fellow citizens are not playing hockey on the frozen rivers, they cut out sections of ice and create Olympic swimming pools. I don't know how anyone can swim in northern lakes in the U.S. or the ocean, but I have seen it happening. My personal religious views prohibit water cooler than bath temperature.

Another place that might be worth checking would be the Villas Fontana on the corner of calle 12 and avenue 15. It does have a pool. When the "Corona Beer beach girls" moved in there in late November, they occasionally took a quick dip in the water, but had goosebumps and shivering. When the landlord George had to work on the filter in March, he put on a full wet suit. That was an unusually cold winter though when temperatures dipped to 50F/10C. I know competitive swimmers that don't like swimming in pools much above 70F and most pools are warmer than that, maybe 75F-76F, cooler than ocean water, but quite tolerable for many.

I don't know the current status of the Villas Fontana as they are for sale. That too would be a very recommendable place if vacant, but the landlord doesn't want small children due to the possible risk of the unfenced pool. One tenant did have a baby while I stayed there. There are three, two bedroom villas in a nice garden area around the pool fairly priced.

There is no one on this forum, maybe the island with more knowledge and experience of downtown area rentals than Valli. She knows more than many rental agents. Most are going to be above your budget, but you can't ever know. One member here years back put his rental on the market for $500 dollars a month which many thought was a typo. He was tired of the very occasional $650 per week rental and went for the consistent income with no cleaning and preparation costs associated with rentals. It can make more sense and cents to have a good tenant long term, it never hurts to ask.

#8 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:13 PM

Charles, you make me smile! You cannot imagine the agony many here are experiencing because of the hockey lock out. I look forward to viewing your creative ice carvings at winter carnival. Don't despair, they do have some heated huts for those carvers that cannot endure the cold and windchills for long periods of standing outside. I might bring you a mug of hot chocolate.

HeidiM, you may want to also check with Rita Sheese at Cozumel Capital Real Estate. She speaks both English and Spanish and she has some long term rentals that may suit you and she is very reputable. You can google it to view the listings. Here is her contact info: rita@cozumelcapital.com

RITA SHEESE

COZUMEL CAPITAL REAL ESTATE

QUINTA AV C CALLE 5 SUR

COZUMEL, Q. ROO

office. (987) 872 0202, 872 0505

Toll free from States, Canada: 1 301 427 6444.

Valli

#9 HeidiM

HeidiM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:06 AM

Thanks Everyone for a ton of great info. I think we will stay at the Suites Vima while we look. I have emailed Rita. I'm sure all will work out for us. I've always been pretty good at attracting exactly what we need.

Oh and on the matter of the pool. We're used to swimming in the pacific so I don't think the "cold" will bother us. I don't think my kids even know what cold water is. Anyway a pool is a great thing for me and the kids to do while the husband is working. I don't think I'll be taking the three small children down to the beach by myself:)

#10 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

actually from thr north end you can walk to the beach at casitas, where you will see a place called LOVE. to the north of it is a great spot to take the kids. there is a natural "pool" that is very very shallow and for the more able swimmers, an easy entrance to the open water.
good luck! hope to see you at school one of these days and meet you. i am almost always arriving with exercise clothing on (ironman training) and my kid is axel. good luck!!!
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#11 HeidiM

HeidiM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

actually from thr north end you can walk to the beach at casitas, where you will see a place called LOVE. to the north of it is a great spot to take the kids. there is a natural "pool" that is very very shallow and for the more able swimmers, an easy entrance to the open water.
good luck! hope to see you at school one of these days and meet you. i am almost always arriving with exercise clothing on (ironman training) and my kid is axel. good luck!!!

That natural pool sounds awesome! I'm so excited! The 29th can not come fast enough! Axel is at the Montessori?

#12 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

That natural pool sounds awesome! I'm so excited! The 29th can not come fast enough! Axel is at the Montessori?

I believe Axel is at the Montessori as I know Nauticab really adheres to that philosophy. (Me too!) And I must add in passing that that is one sweet and charming kid.

You've been given a lot of good advice on apartment rentals from people who know of what they speak so print and take it with you would be my advice.

Charles and Nauticab are pointing you towards the north end of Centro which is one of my favorite areas of the city. Nice and quiet and yet pretty central. The only thing you're far away from is the two largest grocery stores. But there are two smaller ones on the edges of El Centro Norte and you can always take a cab to the Mega or Chedraui.

And you can walk to that good kid's beach, too if you don't rent too far back in town. There aren't any chairs or umbrellas at the beach described so you will need to acquire those to use that scenario. Because believa me, the sun in these parts is a lethal weapon. You can FEEL yourself burning.

So invest in protective hats for the kids, ones they will wear and that also protect at least the back of their necks. Bring those with you. In fact, you should give us a list of all the things you think are vital for comfort and convenience in your life and we'll tell you if you can get them here or not. You will be surprised at the things you take for granted will be available and they simply are not. The list is endless. My latest, after 10 years living here is index cards. They do not have them. At least they don't have the ones I like and, um, always took for granted.

#13 HeidiM

HeidiM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:53 PM

In fact, you should give us a list of all the things you think are vital for comfort and convenience in your life and we'll tell you if you can get them here or not. You will be surprised at the things you take for granted will be available and they simply are not. The list is endless. My latest, after 10 years living here is index cards. They do not have them. At least they don't have the ones I like and, um, always took for granted.

Excellent idea! I'll work on that. Although I probably won't realize what I can't live with out until I have to live with out it:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users