• 151 posts
  • Interests:snorkeling, golf, reading, cooking

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening, chilled
3 tablespoons ice water

This will make one pie crust. If you need two simply double the recipe.

Directions
Before starting cut your shortning (or butter) into 1/2 inch sized cubes and return to fridge to chill again. It will be too warm to work into the flour immediately. Also, if your flour isn't already stored in the fridge/ freezer chill it for half an hour. These steps are crucial as good pastry can not be made with warm ingredients!

1. Whisk the flour and salt together in a medium size bowl. With a pastry blender, cut in the cold shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Drizzle the ice water one tablespoon at a time over flour. Toss mixture with a fork to moisten, adding more water a tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together.

2. Gently gather dough particles together into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for at least 30 minutes before rolling.

3. Roll out dough between two pieces of wax paper, and put in a pie plate. Fill with desired filling and bake.

#2 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:38 PM

I can make a pretty good pie crust but I always have to adjust the recipe. First of all, most of the recipes give you just enough to make one crust if everything works out great and you happen to roll the dough out in a perfect circle to fit the pan you are using. Most of the time the ends crack and you don't have enough dough. Second, the little bit of water they tell you to put in isn't enough to get the dough into a ball that you can roll because it is not wet enough to even form a ball and keeps falling off. I now make 1 1/2 times the recipe for a one crust pie and 3 times the amount for a 2 crust pie. Throw the leftover out or make a small pie with it. Use lard for your shortening. Roll your pie crust on your rolling pin to transfer to the plate then unroll it there.

I'm pretty dense at times but I do find it hard to make one pie crust from a one pie crust recipe. It's easy if you double the recipe but you might just get lucky or be good at it. I'm not.

#3 divern2h20

divern2h20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:29 PM

Never throw out the left over crust. Roll it out flat, cover in cinnamon and suger and bake.
Great with honey, ice cream or fresh strawberries !!
Like Steve we alwasy "overmake" on the pie crust.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users