16 replies to this topic

#1 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:25 PM

Let the games begin. We are in Laredo and plan on crossing the border tomorrow Am.Jeep Cherokee with a 4x8 trailer.
Probably gonna have to unload the whole damn thing.Took awhile to pile it all in so wish us luck.
Got our car permit before we left and insurance also,this allows us to bypass the car place,so they say and just deal with customs.All permit stuff done at consulate so we probably will get the green light.
Dreamer Yes!
These tablets are weird to type on.If they have WiFi in next stop will post again
YeaHaaaaaaaaaa!

#2 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:11 PM

Good luck on your adventure.....looking forward to hearing about your journey.

#3 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

Good luck guys
Have a fun and safe trip

#4 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:relaxing, singing, friends, my dogs, adventure, entrepreneurship, reading, laughing, coffee

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:17 AM

Good luck! Should all be a breeze if all goes well. Godspeed and safe travels.

#5 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

I too add my good luck wishes and also want to hear how about the journey. Thanks for posting!

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#6 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

made it across the border today,got reamed. Wife told me to get up early but I am thinking vaca. Big mistake. Saturday ,big line, got green light and got about 50 feet before we had to just about unload the whole trailer.
Some guy must work the lot as he helped us unload and open boxes,was really helpful and after customs figured out we had a household exemption from Denver consulate let us know that after the military guy gave us a short lookover arranged for us to give the guy 20 bucks and we were done.
figured he was more help than the military guy then we gave him 30bucks.Only problems where the heck was the boxes when we started and where to put them now.
thought we were in good shape till we got to the first stop and the military guy waves us over and wants to inspect inside the trailer.No 20bucks for this guy I am thinking but he just wanted to look inside so nobox unloading this time.
I would like to note that we got a 365 day tourist visa from the consulate and when we went into Aduna we only got a thirty day from them,other than that our 6 month car permit gotten online worked fine.
Other thing is we stayed in Laredo at a not so good Hacienda hotel for 75 bucks and are currently in a fiesta hotel for about 95 us. World of difference as we feel like we can take our shoes off in this one.
Driving is quite safe and we feel very good about the trip so far, all 200 miles that is as we only got saltillo so far but will give it he'll tomorrow. Toll roads all the way for all I care.

#7 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

On the tourist visa...put a one before the three and change the three into an eight. Don't know why the gave you 30 days as they are giving everyone 180. You are spending to much money on your rooms. I wouldn't spend more than $400 pesos a night and that is pushing it. Good luck on your trip. Hope to meet ehen I am down. It would be nice to connect with a fellow carpenter.

#8 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

hi Steve,it will be good to hook up.our mutual friend will introduce us for sure,your gonna poop when you see what tools I brought with.
Anyhow,trip was pretty uneventful from sallito untill we got to the other side of Mexico city and tried to pull into the first town before turning east again towards Pubela
holy cr*p batman,.I was sure we were going to die,small roads,three foot topes,people going the wrong way.Believe it or not our tom tom actually led us out of there. We had upgraded it for Mexico and the darn thing worked.No more cussing tom tom.
We were so bummed we kept driving till 8 30 at night when we arrived in Puebla.Made for a 12 hour driving day but were getting closer.I have to say that this is no different than driving across Texas except that mex plated vehicles can drive any speed they want.Very safe on Toll roads.
Room tonight is pretty good and when we found it at last we pulled right on into their underground parking lot.Kind of a high rise called One is all.For us it is more about securing our trailer than anything else as it is just a tarp between us and them.
Looking to make it to Escarcega tomorrow and possibly Home on Tuesday pm,but we are ok if it is Wednesday before we arrive.

#9 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

Ok, Monday evening,reached only to Villahermosa. You know toll roads are supposed to be in better shape than some of the ones we were on today.
Bumms .me out,poor car,has some new rattles for sure.Still safe traveling but the amount of tolls is adding up.
Will make it to Chetmul easily ( famous last words) and possibly get started up the coast towards Cozumel.Only reason I call it home as we have owned the house for two and one half years and been planning ever since. Gonna be nice to get there and Retire finally.
Only other note worthy comment is two things, if you can,t read the menu maybe I might not want to eat it and just cause you see a sign for a hotel does not mean you can necessarily find it. Here in Villahermosa we crossed the same river three different times. Now I am thinking this is all common sense stuff but we have lost some of that for some reason. Viva Mexico

#10 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:relaxing, singing, friends, my dogs, adventure, entrepreneurship, reading, laughing, coffee

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:05 AM

Hi Hillbilly, just a word of warning. IF you stay in Excarcega DO NOT expect to get a nice hotel lol. We stayed in the worst room of our trip there. There was however a pullaround driveway at the hotel we stayed at and they allowed us to park our trailer in off the street. If you end up staying there...well, let's hope you don't lol.

#11 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:10 PM

We were going to stay there and then as we were making good time just kept going to Tulum Will spend the night here and run to Playa in the morning Will take whatever time ferry we get but will try for the .8am.
Was way disappointed in Excarcega as the motor hotel looked good on the internet,could not find it anyway.Having a he'll of a time locating hotels that do not have big signs. Other than that will be there tomorrow,after a week on the road we can get there and start unloading,Greeeeeeeat.

All is well that ends well Right?.

#12 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

Dear HB, glad to hear you are on the home stretch. I thought Sanborn's Insurance handout guided you Km to Km to all the right places.... Good thing you brought your upgraded TomTom! Sounds like an adventure you will remember fondly but not want to repeat...haha. Glad you made it...Welcome to Mexico!

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#13 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:00 PM

remember fondly,indeed,first few nights here we will be dodging topes in our sleep.We did make it however and will not be driving any time soon.Happy,Happy.

#14 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:36 AM

Welcome home!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#15 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:58 AM

Hi HillBilly
Glad you made it. Look forward to seeing both of you again.

Ron

#16 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

remember fondly,indeed,first few nights here we will be dodging topes in our sleep.We did make it however and will not be driving any time soon.Happy,Happy.

You must be physically and mentally exhausted, both of you! Good job and welcome home. Now you can rest up and mellow out to the strains of salsa music and the sights of waving palm trees and smiling faces. And warmth!!

Enjoyed your trip report. Thanks for posting.

#17 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

Thanks to all for the best wishes and the welcome.Will get cablemaas installed tomorrow and will be able to check coz my coz more often.
Was surprised to check bank charges and see that it was $196.00 us to use thetruck part of the ferry.We knew the pesos amount bit still shocking to see it in black and white.One car is 500 pesos but you add an 8 foot trailer and you fall into the total length catagory.My my won't be going to home depot with a trailer any time soon.
Something I thought was sad was I read here where they were paving roads, three trucks full of pavement were in line with us to get on, we all missed the 8 am and time it got to the 1 30 only one cold load got across,two trucks were turned back and they went elsewhere. Gonna be a slow improvement I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users