• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kirista

Kirista

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:01 PM

We are planning to pop over to Isla Mujeres for a day or two, so I'm trying to plan out the route.... Is it possible to take the ADO from the station at 5th and Juarez in Playa to the Cancun Bus station as I don't want to go to the airport... I wasn't sure if two different routes exist or if I'm headed to the wrong station in Playa...

#2 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:05 PM

Take the downtown Cancun & catch a taxi from there to the Isla ferry in Puerto Juarez.

#3 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:44 PM

count on 3 hours for your trip to get there.
45 ferry to playa, 1.25 hour bus to cancun ado terminal, and 10 min taxi to puerto juarez. the ferry to isla goes every 30 minutes and lasts 30 minutes.
enjoy your trip. i always stay at vistamar, which is 1 block to the left of the ferry, almost in front of the gas station. cheap clean simple rooms. no frills, but great ocean view and walking distance to everything.
if you rent a golf cart to tour the island (recommend) they are NOT cheap. count on $600 pesos for the day. pretty much all rentadoras have the exact same price. almost not worth trying to shop around.
have fun! i will be there in about a month for the tournament!
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#4 Shell

Shell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:19 PM

Hotel Almendros is another one you might check out for a night or two. They run $65 or $70 and are right off the pedestrian drag (convenient to shopping and restaurants), but it's very quiet back in the courtyard (which has a pool). Just don't get a room facing the street (not hard to do -- there are a bunch surrounding the courtyard). They used to offer a free breakfast next door. And there's a computer in the lobby for all to use. They're just a 10-minute walk to Playa Norte.

#5 Kirista

Kirista

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:55 PM

Thanks so much for the info... It will be our first time to go over to Isla.. Just want to spend a night or two... We were actually thinking about not making reservations anywhere and just winging it... I figured since it was July we should be able to stay just about anywhere... so any recommendations with location would be great. Also, any good restaurant recommendations? I have always wanted to do the Whale Shark thing, so any input there would be great too!

Again guys, you are all so great! It is nice to have such a great message board to visit!

Kirista

#6 Shell

Shell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:57 AM

You'll probably be OK about winging in July when it comes to availability. BUT do you really want to walk around town in July looking at rooms? A lot of the stuff on Isla is older and may not be what you're expecting. Some places are only going to have fans, no A/C. Many in town don't have pools.

Maybe if you tell me your price range and amenities you just have to have, I can point you to something specific. I've been going to Isla now for -- egads -- almost 20 years. "Only" 15 on Coz.

#7 Shell

Shell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:13 AM

I thought of another hotel that you might look into. Haven't stayed there myself, but it's on my list of places to try when my regular place isn't available.

http://casa-el-pio.islamujeres.info/

You can also get rid of the hotel part of the URL and get on the Isla chat board at that site. Lots of helpful postings there (it's a really active board).

Forgot to say that we tried the whale shark swim last year. I wish I had waited one more day. As it happened, it started out bright and sunny (after a day or two of rain), but quickly turned once we got underway. We had three swims with the shark and really were only able to glimpse its enormity a couple of times because the water was so cloudy. I imagine this would be a really great trip with a sunny day and the right visibility.

#8 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:46 AM

Speaking of Whale Sharks....: http://www.whalesharkfest.com/

T

#9 Kirista

Kirista

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:47 PM

As far as places to stay... we have looked at Na Balam, Marias Kankin, Playa la media luna. If any of you guys have info on any of these places or places like them, please post about them. Also, any info on not to be missed restaurants / fun bars….

You are right about just winging it.. I certainly don't want to spend my time looking at rooms... We've talked about going over there for years and just never had enough time.. Since we added a few days to our vacation, now we can..

As far as the whale sharks, I've begged every year to go on that little adventure. I'm kind-of partial to my little Dive Master, so can one of you recommend someone for the whale shark tour....I really prefer a very small group...Thanks in advance for all the info..

#10 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:46 PM

and see, i'm a cheapskate when it comes to hotels. i pay 250 pesos a room in isla. i want 3 things: close to or IN town, a clean bathroom, and a decent bed. i don't care for the AC, i'm used to just a fan. i don't care for TV, phone, or breakfast buffet. i don't care for a pool. there is a HUGE one across the street called the ocean. and all the other amenities....naaaa. which is why i stay at vistamar. i can walk to all the cool spots in 10 minutes or less. heck, it's isla mujeres, you can pretty much visit the whole island in 10 minutes or less! (slight exaggeration there!)

for anyone going to puerto morelos, prices for hotels are quite high. $50 to $70 range is the norm and the rooms can be from just bad to pretty nice. there i go for the same 3 things, but found a lovely place which i go to each time, posada de moro. they actually have a pool, breakfast and very charming rooms with AC and even a futon in each room.

but for isla and holbox, i go cheap. i'd rather spend the cash on some decent food.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#11 Shell

Shell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:35 AM

Kirista, in my opinion Na Balam has seen better days and is overpriced. And I thought that 10 years ago when some friends booked it. There also isn't any beach in front anymore. Last I saw, the water was practically lapping right up against the hotel. Media Luna is a nice hotel, but I think it's ridiculously priced for a room and a pool. I mean, it's not ultra luxurious or anything. I guess I expect more for $125+ a night. To take advantage of the hotel and its amentities, we once stayed in the hotel's "reef rooms" behind the hotel for $50 a night. I wouldn't recommend it for everybody -- small room with A/C, but kind of claustrophobic, no view, etc. Maria's Kan Kin is on the other side of the island and nowher near town. I'm guessing you'll pay $7-$8 one way to get into town. I'm also not sure if there are any markets nearby for you to stock up. I'm also uncertain if there are any swimmable beaches nearby (I think they're on a cliff).

Take at look at this Web site for accommodations. It used to be the original Isla chat board, but they still keep up their information pages:

http://www.isla-muje.../acomhotels.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users