11 replies to this topic

#1 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

My brother just announced that he's bought tickets for his family of 5 to join my family of 5 in our 3-bedroom house for Christmas...

Anyway, my careful plans are now in need of a reboot.

I know there are plentiful 8-passenger taxi vans. How about 10-passenger taxis? The taxi syndicate website mentions them, but I can't tell if this is a special service or if they have them prowling around the island (or waiting at the muelle fiscal...). Given the size and age of some of the passengers, there is no chance of stuffing 10 people in an 8-passenger van.

Can anyone confirm there are actually 10-passenger taxis? If so, is there some term I can use when I phone the sitio for a taxi besides just specifying the number of people?

#2 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:18 AM

I think all the larger vans are used for "island tours" and come with a bilingual guide. It would be special services and cheaper to use two smaller vehicles. You could maybe "make a deal" with a driver for a package deal spanning a number of days. I'd suggest talking to them at a cruise ship pier.

Now if cost is no object and you want to do it in style: "Our limousines are driven by a bilingual driver its capacity is up to 14 passengers. Lincoln navigator limousine 2002,fully equipped. You will enjoy any ride in the privacy and elegance of these units, refreshments are included".

I love those stretch limos making turns on the back streets in the pueblo. LOL!

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:00 AM

Uniper has minibuses that are available. You can go through the taxi union to order one for the day.

They do not sit around waiting for fares.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:04 AM

Normally, we'd just rent a few cars. In this case it would mean at least one driver utterly unfamiliar with the island or even Mexico.

For several trips per day for a week, I think our only option is going to be to put most of the tribe in an 8-pax and have me and someone else drive.

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:27 AM

That's going to be your best bet. Although you could also try going down to the sitio at one of the piers and talking to one of the Special Service van drivers. You would have to give them a payment in advance, an anticipo of 50-60% to reserve for, for example, the following day.

Because if you don't pay in advance (and get a receipt) then they will rightfully, fear you might not show up and then they will lose their place in the line and a gig for the day you have reserved.

OR just go down to the pier on a morning when you all want to take an island tour and hop in and have the driver go to your house and pick up the oldies or the little uns.

#6 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

Obviously way too much trouble just to get everyone to La Cozumeleņa for breakfast or Los 3 Gatitos for supper!

This is very helpful in that my parents assume the same vans into which they cram 10 passengers from the airport are going to be readily available as taxis and this will help me convince them not to plan on that.

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

You may find it helpful to speak with Adiel Renan King Cardena...he lives just down the street from you.

He has large vans and is also an expert tour guide (two masters on Mayan History and Culture)

You can email him your needs, and allow him to make suggestions on transportation.

His email address is:
adieirenan@hotmail.com
Or akica@prodigy.net.mx
His cell number is: 987-111-1728
Direct number: 987-872-7270

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#8 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

or, if you live close enough to town, have some of the group walk into town with a head start, and the others into a cab.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:51 AM

On a side note -- having done a couple Christmases with a family of 9 in a 4 bedroom house, I've decided next time to put up one or two couples at a nearby hotel instead of stuffing us all in together all day and night. They can spend the day up through dinner lounging and visiting in de big house. But at night everyone has a little space to themselves -- including the host and hostess.

Just an idea you might want to consider. Or perhaps, like me, you'll have to try it once or twice and see just how happy you are when they all finally leave -- as much as you love them.

#10 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:01 PM

On a side note -- having done a couple Christmases with a family of 9 in a 4 bedroom house, I've decided next time to put up one or two couples at a nearby hotel instead of stuffing us all in together all day and night. They can spend the day up through dinner lounging and visiting in de big house. But at night everyone has a little space to themselves -- including the host and hostess.

Just an idea you might want to consider. Or perhaps, like me, you'll have to try it once or twice and see just how happy you are when they all finally leave -- as much as you love them.

Actually, we already have some rooms booked since our house is 3 bedrooms. I am interviewing hitmen to deal with my father who invited the 5 extra people to join the 5 of us already in a house with beds for 6...

I do love my family, but I think this is the only sane way.

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

Mark, saw a taxi van today that would fit your needs...It is a tall, square and bigger than a minivan. The taxi number is 422 that you would want.

Anonymous

#12 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

Excellent. That's extremely helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users