7 replies to this topic

#1 hollybyegolly

hollybyegolly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

Hello ,
I am heading down to cozumel an am staying at the Sabor. Not that I am a big fan of all inclusive but could not pass on the deal. Anyways my question is how is the shore diving in front of this resort? It's been a few years since I have been diving and want to get acclimated again before I go back and approach the wall. Thanks for your input.

#2 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

That area is all sand.

Cozumel Diving

#3 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:26 AM

If you look for where the dive boats are dropping divers, I think you will see that they are too far offshore for a shore dive. I think that anything worth looking at is going to be too far offshore for a dive. Plus, depending on whether the currents are gentle or strong, it will be a very strenuous dive to get out and then get back to shore. I would not recommend it. I believe the Sabor has an on-site dive shop and also a pier where another dive shop could pick you up (I think Sabor charges a docking fee for outside boats). You are very close to the Palancar reefs and to the Santa Rosa wall (just south of your position). Or for a more gentle strip reef, parts of Tormentos are a little north of you. Hope you have some great diving. I know the currents can change daily but when I was there last week (Oct 3-12) the currents at both Palancar and Tormentos were very gentle. I could actually stay in one place and lookly closely at things instead of being whisked away by the currents. Would have made for some great photography (if I hadn't killed my camera on the second day's dive by not latching the waterproof housing properly.)

#4 hollybyegolly

hollybyegolly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

Thanks for the replies. Just want to get comfortable before I head out into the 60 to 90 ft range.

#5 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

Take your gear to Del Mar Aquatics, rent a tank from them and jump off the end of their pier. 20-30 ft and some corals and critters
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#6 diverhorn

diverhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

Both Blue Angel and Papa Hog will rent you a tank and have areas for check out dives,sandy area to 20 feet, not much to see, but safe area to get comfortable again. Happy diving.

#7 hollybyegolly

hollybyegolly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

Cool. Does anyone know if Victor Brito is still diving or still working inthe dive business in Cozumel. He certified m back in Ninety.

#8 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

Victor is there, I went diving with him in June and another friend went with him last month - He's on FaceBook as well.

E-mail:victorbrito@prodigy.net.mx
E-mail:victorgbrito@gmail.com

From the USA Dial: 011 52 987-872 32 23
From anywhere in Mexico Dial: 01 987-872 32 23
Victor's Cozumel Land Line: 872 32 23
Victor's Cell Phone: 044 987 116 7558

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users