October 2012 - 2

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

Continuing the trip report - 2nd day (Thursday)
The hotel was a block and a half away from the OXXO on Av 5 and Calle 2. I went there each morning for a large coffee. Then stopped at Zermatt's for some goodies.
Posted Image
I would sit on the little patio/walkway in front of my room and have the coffee and pastries before heading out for the day's dive.

Posted Image
A lot over the patio/balcony/walkway outside the room.
Posted Image

Anyhow, on to the diving. Since it was only me (and I didn't want Pancho to lose money on gas be taking me to any of the most distant dive sites) we dove a couple dive sites close to the Caleta. The currents were almost nonexistent so I was easy to focus on some photography.
Posted Image
At the end of the second dive we went by an area where large crabs were crawling out of the rocks everywhere.
Posted Image
I like underwater landscapes.
Posted Image
This is scorpion fish. It's really ugly and I think venomous.
Posted Image
Some angels.
Posted Image
Some more angels.
Posted Image

Posted Image

I used to think this was called a picasso fish, but a friend let me know it is a queen triggerfish.
Posted Image
These things are small worms that burrow into the coral and then send out feeding celia in the shape a christmas trees. If you move your hand close to them, they snap back into their hole in an instant.
Posted Image
Pancho, my favorite dive master.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Pancho and Miguel (the boat captain) on our way back to the Caleta marina after the dives.
Posted Image
The mouth of the Caleta heading back.
Posted Image
The current Caleta is being re-absorbed by the Presidente Hotel. They hope to use the space to attract high-end boats (like yachts). A new marina has been being built over the last couple of years. It connects with the ocean at the mouth of the Caleta. Here is the channel leading to the new marina. Not sure when it will be used.
Posted Image

After the dive I walked Melgar from the ferry dock to the president's house north of town. I am still trying to write an 'audio tour' of a walk around San Miguel so I video-taped the whole walk and talked to myself as I walked around. (Hopefully no one thought I was a crazy new-yorker stowaway.) When I pointed my video camera at the front gate of the military housing area, the guards starting waving me away from taking pictures. When I got to the president's house (just north of the small maya temple monument), there was a guy sweeping the front sidewalk. I asked him if this was the president's house and he said yes. I asked him if he was the president and he said, No – just security. We talked a little bit about where we were from and then I headed back to into town.

View north from the ferry dock.
Posted Image

Diving monument.
Posted Image

Statues commemorating the annual Carnaval parades that happen just before Lent.

Posted Image

Monument showing the first european to merge into maya life in the 1500's.
Posted Image
The front gate of the presidential residence in Cozumel.
Posted Image

#2 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:43 PM

I'm going to say Queen Triggerfish. Nice Report... keep going!

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#3 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:28 AM

You did a nice job on that trip report. We often stayed in the smaller hotels when we came down. They are just fine. What dive shop is your friend Pancho with?

#4 mexcelia

mexcelia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, films, snorkeling, walking, swimming, and photography

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

enjoyed the underwater pics.............great reports

#5 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

His operation is called "Pancho's Diving Adventures". He bought the Makumba (dive boat) from Sea Urchin a couple years ago when the former owner left the island but did not buy the full business plan (company name, website and stuff). He had been the one and only dive master for that operation. I helped him decide on a name and then with his involvement put a website up for him.

#6 TheOptimist

TheOptimist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

nice report and pics Dan

#7 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

Great report and really love the gorgeous pictures. Especially the Xmas tree coral.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users